What's in your medi kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Love the video but to be clear the CURRENT GUIDANCE is not for only chest compressions; it's an option for those who are unable or unwilling to do ventilations.

OK fair enough. You are correct, the current guidance does state to teach lay people CPR with chest compressions and rescue breaths. I had a big rant ready about coronary perfusion pressures and what not, but having read the guidance I would be going against said guidance and don't want to confuse matters with my tired post night shift opinions of medical protocol. What I will reinforce is that if someone clearly has no pulse and is not breathing and you have no idea what you are doing, giving compression only CPR to the best of your ability is better than nothing. Early shock is also the key (for cardiac arrest)- so call out in dramatic E.R/Holby City style - I NEED A DEFIB - STAT!!!! DOn't worry, it's clever and will tell you what to do when it gets there :)

Maybe one more idea for the medic kit "a chill pill". ;)

You are probably right, mine is in the form of a liquid and I would never go out for an overnighter without a couple! I'm indulging in one right now, it's 9 years old and peaty!

coool, more for less...

And without prescription!

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
With regards to the FAK.
I would be extremely careful with the Tramadol even the 50mg tablets have a tendency to make the taker very dizzy and physically sick.

I can't foresee any circumstances where it would be wise to self medicate or medicate others with prescription tablets.
The side effects are likely to cause more problems than the tablets are going to solve.

^^^ Totally agree ^^^

Netfrog you don't mention re: the Tramadol Hyrdochloride whether you are prescribed them, I'm not on about the fact that you have prescription drugs in your kit, but as a regular 'prescribed' user of Tramadol, they are a very powerful pain killer and not along the same lines as any of the over the counter meds you'll get (in the UK at least). If you haven't taken them but have been given them or heard about them, forget them. If you're prescribed then you'll know all of the side effects of course.

I am prescribed 500 - 600mg a day for severe pain the cause of which is neither here nor there, I don't suffer any ill effects at all even at the elevated dosage because I've been on them for years. But I gave my Sister 1 x 50mg once because she was in severe pain after a fall at my place and I thought I'd killed her. On the train back home with her 20 y/o son she became dizzy, nauseous, had heart palpitations, sweating profusely, blurred vision, they were on the verge of calling a doctor but the symptoms passed in the hour it took to get to her place and she had a couple of hours sleep and was fine.

That was just one and maybe she had a more severe reaction than most people would but I'll never let anyone have one of those things again, as you say they are an artificial opiate, a strong one and the side effects cover the whole reverse side of the info leaflet in the box. Not in my opinion a good addition to anyone's med kit unless you are prescribed them.

Not having a dig, just wouldn't like to see anyone add them to their 'FAK' without knowing what they can do. :(

Si

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Couldn't agree more. It's illegal and dangerous to give someone else a drug that was prescribed for you.

Actually, even certain "over the counter" drugs (eg co-codamol), while legal for the person who bought them to take as directed, it's illegal to give one to someone else as it contains codeine.

It's a fickle world we live in!

ATB

KP

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
^^^ Totally agree ^^^

Not having a dig, just wouldn't like to see anyone add them to their 'FAK' without knowing what they can do. :(

Si

thats true, the tablets i have, are used from time to time, but have been used many times, and again the side effects some times out way the benefit...it all depends how bad my back is etc etc etc.

and of course, no medication should be given to another person AT ALL, who knows what reaction could happen, especially with a stronger drug....

as i said in my other post though, my drugs are for me only, and for about a week so i have enough if i become bad....

regards.

chris.

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
Saftery pins
Tweezers
Scissors
Various plasters
Butterfly stutures
Individual wet wipes and antiseptic wipes
Triangular bandage
Crepe bandage
Gause pads
Menolin pads
Micropore tape
Tampons
Mirror
Curved needle with thin fishing line pre-attached
Strip of 30/500 Co-codamol
Rubbing alcohol/yarrow tinciture

Generally stays in my bag though, a bandana, gaffer tape, tissue and either plantian or yarrow tends to get most jobs done.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Ah, right have to look those up, I got a big herbal book here somewhere, could be time to have a good read through it for other useful plants too. :)

Cheers

Si

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
It's illegal and dangerous to give someone else a drug that was prescribed for you.

KP

It is definitely potentially dangerous but not specifically illegal unless the drug is also controlled by the misuse of drugs act (Most painkillers and tranquilisers are for example).

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
It is definitely potentially dangerous but not specifically illegal unless the drug is also controlled by the miue of drugs act (Most painkillers and tranquilisers are for example).

Your probably correct, but by giving someone a "prescription only medication", are you not technically "prescribing", something which you need to be qualified and registered to do? Surely that got to be breaking some law?

Cheers in advance

KP

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can most likely do without the faceshield as current guidance is for only chest compressions and no ventilations, it is far more effective for solo bystander resuscitation.
See this BHF video - its genius!
[video=youtube;ILxjxfB4zNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk[/video]
The 1st Aid trainers I have talked to recently (I have done two 1st Aid courses in the past 6 months) all agree that the vid is amusing but misleading... the "medalion" is too high for eficient compressions for one ...
they also all agree that full CPR - with ventilations - is better if you have the training (and we all have training dont we? If not why not? ).
Their opion seems to be that the hands only stuff is just for untrained folk to do something to help (no matter how ineffectual) rather than nothing at all ... it makes you feel better to have done something rather than watch a person die ... and most will die even with full CPR.... "survivor guilt" is a real phenomenon!

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Your probably correct, but by giving someone a "prescription only medication", are you not technically "prescribing", something which you need to be qualified and registered to do? Surely that got to be breaking some law?

Cheers in advance

KP

The medicines act is all about supplying or selling in the course of a business. Supplying is not the same as prescribing. A pharmacist doesn't prescribe they supply the drugs so that the customer can follow the prescribed treatment often the drugs supplied under a prescription could also be supplied without a prescription.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The 1st Aid trainers I have talked to recently (I have done two 1st Aid courses in the past 6 months) all agree that the vid is amusing but misleading... the "medalion" is too high for eficient compressions for one ...
they also all agree that full CPR - with ventilations - is better if you have the training (and we all have training dont we? If not why not? ).
Their opion seems to be that the hands only stuff is just for untrained folk to do something to help (no matter how ineffectual) rather than nothing at all ... it makes you feel better to have done something rather than watch a person die ... and most will die even with full CPR.... "survivor guilt" is a real phenomenon!

The nationl resus council certainly thinks hands only cpr is a very viable means of maintaining an O2 flow also for keeping the heart in as good a shape as possible by preventing swelling of the chambers so as to respond to a defibrillator this is supported by research which I unfortunately can't find to quote., the medallion ting is a bit bad as if that's the info someone takes away, what happens I the sov is over the to the left or right?

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
The medicines act is all about supplying or selling in the course of a business. Supplying is not the same as prescribing. A pharmacist doesn't prescribe they supply the drugs so that the customer can follow the prescribed treatment often the drugs supplied under a prescription could also be supplied without a prescription.
MR teams administer Diclophenac, oxygen, morphine, epi pens and lots more prescription only drugs. Out of the 20 odd casualty carers in our team authorised to administer only 1 is a doctor and he's newly qualified so not able to prescribe yet!

The administration of prescription only drugs doesn't have to be by the prescribed.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
MR teams administer Diclophenac, oxygen, morphine, epi pens and lots more prescription only drugs. Out of the 20 odd casualty carers in our team authorised to administer only 1 is a doctor and he's newly qualified so not able to prescribe yet!

The administration of prescription only drugs doesn't have to be by the prescribed.

Well that makes sense as I administer POM's on a daily basis and I can't prescribe!

I would expect in the MR environment (and other similar) the team members are giving POM's based on training and protocols overseen / written by the team Dr? Or how does it work?

KP

think

Jul 19, 2011
Yorkshire Dales
I carry:
Duct tape
Superglue
Couple of pain killers
Iodine spray
And i got some blood clotting powder given from a friend who works with chainsaws.

I have treated cuts, grazes, blisters and sprains with duct tape and for small cuts/nicks the superglue gets used.
Never had to use it but if Myself or anyone I come accross has a large cut i believe the clot powder will work wonders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE