What's in your medi kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I am off for a 60 mile or so walk with friends tomorrow and have been packing and repacking all night (much funzo)

I rarely need to open up my medi kit, other than the odd plaster here and there or some painkillers from too much whisky. Occasionaly the odd blister plaster. However it is small and compact and packed full of everything I need.

So opening it up I have:

Drugs/tablets.
6 Tramadols - fairly serious pain killers (opioid)
16 ibuprofen
8 asprin
8 paracetamol
6 valium
6 rennies, or chalk tablets. (my mate gets indigestion!)
10 pack of water purification tablets x 2
6 diclofenac tablets

Packet stuff:
Alcahol free wipes
Open weave bandage
1m of adhesive dressing strip (long plaster)
Mouth to mouth shield for resuscitation (I think I could lose this as in the UK I am really not ("bovvered")
Non adherent dressing (gauze)
Medical gloves (could ditch these too)
Astroplast tape.
Blister plasters

Hardware:
Mini scissors
Needle n thread.

That's it - although I am being given a large blood clotting/stopping gauze from a friend which seems to be for major trauma. Not sure I really need it and it is rather large but it can go in my (useful box) for a while at least!

Anything you would add or what is your own list?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I carry little, maybe too little.

6 Nurofen
Bandage
Tick Twisters
Alcohol wipes
Povidone iodine spray
4 assorted fabric plasters
1 small dressing pad
Tweezers
Water purifying tablets
Diorrhea tablets
Gaffer tape
Animal wool

Last edited:

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Hmmmmm the iodine spray sounds like a good addition, I have no germ killing stuff like that so it is on the list now. Ticks, I twist em myself! I seem to remain fairly tick free though, maybe my blood type. Had one ever only compared to my mate who gets a half dozen on every walk we do, taken plenty off my cats n dogs though!. Tweezers would fit in to my kit nicely also :)

Diorrhea tabs? Mine generally goes after 24 hours, not sure how useful these would be unless they stop it there and then! Unlikely as your stomach has turned to **** anyway at the point you get it! (lovely topic I know, it is rare thank goodness)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
My daily bimble ouch pouch has:
LAtex gloves
steri strips
2"x2" gauze (x10)
Antiseptic wipe - x2
AFterbite wipe x1
Stetch bandage x1
various plasters
Safety pins
Co-codamol x4
diclofenac x2
fexofenadine (hardcore antihistamine) x2
Combudoron ointment (for burns)
Zinc Oxide tape
tweezers

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Of all of them, the gaffer tape and Iodine spray get the most use.

I've never had a tick either but when I do, its coming off quick!

I forgot to list the Animal wool-Its the best thing ever for rubbing feet and blisters. I wouldn't be without it on long trips. It comes from Boots/Sheep. :)

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
OK this is annoying - My post has been moved. Part of my kit is my MEDI KIT - hence the subject. So it belongs to KIT chatter.

Yesterday my post got moved also - The moderators are being waaaay to judgemental over where a post belongs. Can you move it back please as I placed it in the right topic and where I wanted it to be. I can understand if I had made a mistake and you corrected it for me, but now you are simply taking control over other peoples decisions and judgements. You are here to monitor and ensure the forum runs smoothly, and not to DICTATE.

Enough now...

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its medical kit your talking about and there is a specific forum for medical kit so where else would be more appropriate? Edged tools or meet-ups perhaps?
What difference does it make?

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
The appropriate place is where I decide. I posted about KIT, in KIT chatter. When did the nanny state and nazi police infiltrate my existence in posting on a forum in a place I think appropriate?

I was posting about KIT, and the contents of such KIT, in a section named KIT..... I was not doing so for medicinal reasons, but for reasons as for what KIT to carry. It was about KIT. Totally out of line, and not a good running of a forum. Apologies if I seem grumpy about it but I am not happy at all about this....

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Maybe you should talk about 'kit' then. Medical supplies are referred to as First aid kit or FAKs and are discussed in the appropriate section determined by the guy who owns the site. I dont believe he has right wing tendancies but its his forum so I abide by his rules. Simples.:D
As far as FAKs are concerned, I carry a clean hankie. If medical conditions require more than that call an ambulance.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I was talking about KIT - As in, I will be doing 60 miles, and I am packing my KIT. Part of that is my medical KIT..

@ Maybe you should talk about 'kit' then.

I'm not sure if you are blind, or stupid. Or just a troll :-/

Either way - your comment of: "
I dont (sic) believe he has right wing tendancies but its his forum so I abide by his rules. Simples"

Is one of meek tendencies and a certain amount of "Way to my king".

My topic was right, my choice was right, my opinion is subject, but my subject, and no one elses. The forum keeper was wrong, but his subject and or opinion. Let them reply but feel free to carry on as is your right. ;-)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had something similar and upgraded over the year. Probably too much now but I wouldn't leave the house without it!

My FAK grows over time too until I get sick of the bulk and trim it down again. I used to carry too many "what ifs" but not so much now, I figure if it's so bad that I or a hiking partner needs serious attention then I'm certainly not the one to give it, I'd rather contact the professionals and let them deal with it.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
My FAK grows over time too until I get sick of the bulk and trim it down again. I used to carry too many "what ifs" but not so much now, I figure if it's so bad that I or a hiking partner needs serious attention then I'm certainly not the one to give it, I'd rather contact the professionals and let them deal with it.

Well I removed the medical gloves and mouth protector earlier. Hard to part with anything else! Especially as it all fits into one neat bag that goes every where with me. So happy as it is now. I'm sure I may be missing a thing or two though, I think a set of tweezers might be useful and the iodine solution.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
You carry a lot of prescription only drugs for a 3 day walk.

I can be bit thick but what exactly was your point?

To be prepared :) They take up minimal room, are always in one bag, which sits on the side of my pack in a waterproof sack. Sec.... My scales say 67 grams.. I have 2 packs and I transfer it to each other with ease. The 67 grams do not hinder me in any way and are always with me. I would rather have them, than not and they cause no problem by being there.

The point was not the "prescription drugs" but to see what I had compared with others, and to see if I was missing anything important. So far I have learned Iodine could be an excellent addition. As may be a set of tweezers.

Thanks for your valuable input. :mad:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE