What to put in a first aid kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2012
LV
Hi, this is my first post and it's about something I really want to know... What should I put in my first aid kit>? I don't want to make a crappy band-aids kit (haha) but something along the lines of a more complex aid kit. Anyway here's a list of the things I have included so far:

32x Water-Proof Plasters
10x Small Paper Plasters
1x Warming Pad (Pain Relief)
3x Extremely-Large Plasters
10x Tablets of Leporomide-Grindeks (Anti-Diarrehal)
10x Tablets of Ibuprofen (Pain-Killer, Fever-Reliever)
30x Soviet Time Things that you shove up the **** (Used to relieve **** pains and to treat some Intestinal Conditions (But can be used for some other things too). These things are like medium sized candles that you shove up the **** and they melt.
5x Strile Pads
5x Alcohol Pads
5x Gauze Pads
4x Latex Gloves (Don't care if they got allergy)
1x Face Mask
2x 100 ml Anti-Bacterial Gels
Around 20 Active-Charcoal Tabs.
20x Bacterial Wipes
1x Dressing Pad
1x Scissors
10x Sticky Things
1x Cooling Cream
100 ml Himalaya Cream (To put into wounds/burns)
100 ml Never-Running-Out-Of-Date Bug Bite Releaving Cream
2x Bandages
Some Really BASIC tools (pen, pencil, paper, scissors)
I think I have some other stuff but I can't remember now...

Ok now that you know most of the things I have here is a list of the things I am thinking to shove into this over-packed little bag of useful stuff:
Epipen(can you get infected from sharing the same EpiPen?)
Paracetamol
Perahaps some Ipecac? I have been told that I need multiple bottles because you need to drink the whole bottle (but Im guessing that's a crirital overdose...)
Stethoscope (I have used it on DOGS and CATS but I guess it works the same with humans)

Ok So now that you have a little info perahaps you can suggest more things to add to this kit? I hear that Ipecac is no longer recommended but you never know till yer try...
THanks...

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
There is legislation from the HSE dictating what the minimum requirements are for a FA kit in the work place if it is work orientated.

I have been a first aid instructor / assessor for over 10 years - I wouldn't know what the hell to do with a stethoscope! I have dealt with quite a few 'issues' on the hill - more than most folk I would imagine, it's just like bushcraft IMHO; the knowledge and abilty that you carry outweighs much of what is in your medical kit - what first aid training have you had?

If I had:

Small and medium bandage
Triangular bandage
Roll of insulation tape
Elastoplast

I would consider myself equiped for my personal circumstances. If you have a duty of care though..... Thats another matter.

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
There's also an excellent sticky, somewhere at the top of this subforum.

For what it's worth, I usually very little, basically because I have only basic knowledge and if something happens an ambulance is called in. Simples.

I carry (trousers)
- large field dressing
- 10 assorted plasters
- face mask
- gloves

Added with (spread in smock, pack, etc)
- ductape
- painkillers
- immodium
- antihistamine
- tick tool
- sterigel (normal kit)
- shemagh (idem)
- fresnel lens (ticks)
- small signal mirror (idem)
- iodine (polar pure, standard kit)
- 2 needles (blisters, repairs, etc)
- LED

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Epi pens are one use and dispose. In the UK you need a prescription to acquire one if you are not a 'Responsible Person', i.e. the First Aider of record or something similar.
In almost every incidence you'd be better with simple anti histamines.

cheers,
Toddy

Sep 8, 2012
LV
Epi pens are one use and dispose. In the UK you need a prescription to acquire one if you are not a 'Responsible Person', i.e. the First Aider of record or something similar.
In almost every incidence you'd be better with simple anti histamines.

cheers,
Toddy

Ok thanks! I don't have First Aider Course under my belt but I could do it anytime today-or tommorow!

There's also an excellent sticky, somewhere at the top of this subforum.

For what it's worth, I usually very little, basically because I have only basic knowledge and if something happens an ambulance is called in. Simples.

I carry (trousers)
- large field dressing
- 10 assorted plasters
- face mask
- gloves

Added with (spread in smock, pack, etc)
- ductape
- painkillers
- immodium
- antihistamine
- tick tool
- sterigel (normal kit)
- shemagh (idem)
- fresnel lens (ticks)
- small signal mirror (idem)
- iodine (polar pure, standard kit)
- 2 needles (blisters, repairs, etc)
- LED

Hey thanks for the reply! BTW why do you need gloves if your not going to do any more complex stuff? I understand very well that if something more serious happens you should just call the ambulance but I prefer to camp in some...errr...more remote areas where there are no phone signals...or the road is 20 kilometres away so that is not really an option for me, which is why I am making something more complex!

EDIT: If you are going on a 20 km hike on your friend in remote areas, he falls down a hill and breaks his leg....Could turn out ugly couldn't it? Or perahaps bleeding Ulcer? He dies. Simples. :p
Of course if your not an extremist like me or you don't like going on far-away trips that might not really matter...

Have you looked at past posts, this question has been asked and answered more than once.

Here you go, 134 replies to get you going. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55275

Oh ok thanks! Didn't see that!

There is legislation from the HSE dictating what the minimum requirements are for a FA kit in the work place if it is work orientated.

I have been a first aid instructor / assessor for over 10 years - I wouldn't know what the hell to do with a stethoscope! I have dealt with quite a few 'issues' on the hill - more than most folk I would imagine, it's just like bushcraft IMHO; the knowledge and abilty that you carry outweighs much of what is in your medical kit - what first aid training have you had?

If I had:

Small and medium bandage
Triangular bandage
Roll of insulation tape
Elastoplast

I would consider myself equiped for my personal circumstances. If you have a duty of care though..... Thats another matter.

Well to be honest I don't have any medical qualifications BUT I have something more valuable than that-experience. I have assisted operating animals, and I have stiched people up... When your the only one in the familiy without some sort of medical qualification you get overloaded with some really clever-**** lectures. I know the symptoms of diseases, how serious they are, how they need to be treated etc, etc. I have operated ANIMALS NOT HUMANS and the operations were always simple but noone ever died after being operated by me. Of course I could take aspirin and all kind of "clever" medications with me but I was thinking what was very important, lifesaving stuff that doesn't weigh much...etc.

Well thanks for all the good answers! xD! So far my new additions:

Stethoscope
Aspirin
Golden Star Of Vietnam (From Vietnam)

Thanks for all the answers! Oh and justincase you were wondering the Soviet things are shoved up the bom but I wrote **** so what it did is it made it into stars...

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey thanks for the reply! BTW why do you need gloves if your not going to do any more complex stuff? I understand very well that if something more serious happens you should just call the ambulance but I prefer to camp in some...errr...more remote areas where there are no phone signals...or the road is 20 kilometres away so that is not really an option for me, which is why I am making something more complex!

I don't like dirty hands ...

The stuff I carry represents my knowledge (or lack off). It also is a representation of the environment I'm in: woodland, with ticks and a risk I cut myself (or someone else who may hurt himself).

omass said:
EDIT: If you are going on a 20 km hike on your friend in remote areas, he falls down a hill and breaks his leg....Could turn out ugly couldn't it? Or perahaps bleeding Ulcer? He dies. Simples. :p
Of course if your not an extremist like me or you don't like going on far-away trips that might not really matter...

Looks like we have a glitch in the system here, as the above text appears when I quote-reply, but doesn't in the original post :yikes:

I live in Holland, we don't have hills :lmao: And a road is never more than 4-5km away, a mobile phone reception is almost omni present :(

Personally i think it's a question of being realistic:
- What are the injurious / medical problems you are likely to encounter. If you go out for a day in the woods, there's no need to carry in a full IV kit.

- What is your level of medical training. If you have only basic knowledge like me, there's no point in carrying a stethoscope or suture kit. It's a case of plug the hole, keep circulation going, etc and make sure help is called in. It's very impressing a full medi kit, but if you don't have the training / knowledge on how to use it, you may do more damage than good.

The woods are not the place playing doctors and nurses ... Get trained first, than buy the kit you really need.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Mate, the purpose of training is not to have a qualification but to understand how to preserve life, promote recovery, prevent further injury and provide temporary stabilisation until qualified medical help arrives. Hussain's report made it clear that 39% of deaths in RTAs could have been prevented if first aid had been given at the scene. This isn't about 'kit', it's about training and experience - but not experience of stitching up dogs. Honestly I ran husky teams for 3 years and had to stitch dogs and bears no relation at all to sustaining another humans life...

Don't get me wrong, the first aid kit is great and it can bring some comforts to a situation but it would be a shame to have a stethoscope to tell you that you casualty is dead when you could have unblocked an occluded airway and saved his life.

Opinions vary, mine is just one :)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I'd add a tick remover. Got one in scotland in my leg - only found it after a couple of days despite checking

Jul 28, 2009
australia
I am a paramedic (25 years full time) the best thing you can carry is knowledge and expirience- do the first aid course first preferably one labelled "remote area", get some expirience possibly by volunteering. Knowledge and expirience are the best and lightest things you can carry, good luck stay safe and greetings from Australia

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have done quite a few first aid courses and had some limited experience leading groups. I actually think under most circumstance a first aid kit is not very useful unless we are operating in very remote areas with poor communications. The most useful thing that I have is experience, gained from outdoor specific first aid training just working with groups. All I now carry is gloves, aspirin and a face shield, antiseptic wipes and just a few plasters. If its a large cut a a towel or scarf works just as well as the a field dressing. In my experience all the ointment, sting relief and sprays on the market don't help much anyway. Get training it weighs nothing, I would also say practical outdoor instruction. I did some training outdoors with fake wounds, very realistic and scary, but also very interesting and useful experience.

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I have just completed an Emergency First Aid at Work course. I did it because I knew NOTHING apart from what I had seen on TV and read in books. Although concerned at the lack if things covered (like the recovery position :eek:) I still feel like I have learnt quite a bit from it.
I have the basics in my first aid kit, but still doubt I would use half of it. Get a course done. It will help, even just having the ability to talk the scenario through with other pupils and the lecturer helped to get a better view on things.
I understand your family have told you, but nothing beats practical experience from an 'outside source' I guess

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Sep 8, 2012
LV
I don't like dirty hands ...

The stuff I carry represents my knowledge (or lack off). It also is a representation of the environment I'm in: woodland, with ticks and a risk I cut myself (or someone else who may hurt himself).

Looks like we have a glitch in the system here, as the above text appears when I quote-reply, but doesn't in the original post :yikes:

I live in Holland, we don't have hills :lmao: And a road is never more than 4-5km away, a mobile phone reception is almost omni present :(

Personally i think it's a question of being realistic:
- What are the injurious / medical problems you are likely to encounter. If you go out for a day in the woods, there's no need to carry in a full IV kit.

- What is your level of medical training. If you have only basic knowledge like me, there's no point in carrying a stethoscope or suture kit. It's a case of plug the hole, keep circulation going, etc and make sure help is called in. It's very impressing a full medi kit, but if you don't have the training / knowledge on how to use it, you may do more damage than good.

The woods are not the place playing doctors and nurses ... Get trained first, than buy the kit you really need.

OK I think it's very sad that you have it like that in The Netherlands... I really can't imagine going out into the wild like that! Which is exactly why when I go out into the wild I usually:
a) Do it in Eastern Europe/France.
b) Mountains of Wales
c) Scotland
d) A place like the Lakes District in England

Oh and about injuries that might happen things can happen that you can't imagine. I don't go on day hikes. My nature hunts take 7 days or more. In the past I have my leg pierced through with a rusty nail and I had to give myself an injection of (I dont know what this is called in english) something to stop myself getting tetanus and dieing where noone would find my body for years. This would have paralysed my nervous system due to bacteria C.tetani getting into my system and it would cause terrible muscle spasms. That could brake my spine and leave me paralysed or in a more lucky scenario would leave me unable to control when I urinate, leave me with a severe fever, hand/foot spasms and being unable to swallow. And by now you might understand that I have experience and the knowledge... I didn't get trained by any proffessionals but I know my stuff. I know all the smexy recovery positions and all that lovely stuff. I don't come from the UK, but I live there now...(lol) When I said I know my stuff on the post before this one I ment it. I have helped people out and actually in UK it's illegal for me to give myself the injection if I don't have the qualifications... Where I come from you can do the First Aid Course (But it teaches loads more advanced stuff and costs a fair bit of cash) but they don't give you the documents. So techically I am unqualifed.

Mate, the purpose of training is not to have a qualification but to understand how to preserve life, promote recovery, prevent further injury and provide temporary stabilisation until qualified medical help arrives. Hussain's report made it clear that 39% of deaths in RTAs could have been prevented if first aid had been given at the scene. This isn't about 'kit', it's about training and experience - but not experience of stitching up dogs. Honestly I ran husky teams for 3 years and had to stitch dogs and bears no relation at all to sustaining another humans life...

Don't get me wrong, the first aid kit is great and it can bring some comforts to a situation but it would be a shame to have a stethoscope to tell you that you casualty is dead when you could have unblocked an occluded airway and saved his life.

Opinions vary, mine is just one :)

LOL! I have a stethoscope to tell me if my patient is wheezing e.t.c This isn't just a first aid kit but since I go really far from civilization a kit to treat some problems which might arise...
But I am not including anything too complex which would just weigh me down. Oh and I need some extra injection against tetanus...good that you guys reminded meh. Oh and if there is no phone signal to dial 999 or 911 or 112 or whatever it is...lol. You and your group of buddies have to help yourselves(haha)!

I'd add a tick remover. Got one in scotland in my leg - only found it after a couple of days despite checking

Thanks! One of the only guys actually suggesting to add something...I also vaccined myself against Lyme which they carry. Not a nice thing to get.

I am a paramedic (25 years full time) the best thing you can carry is knowledge and expirience- do the first aid course first preferably one labelled "remote area", get some expirience possibly by volunteering. Knowledge and expirience are the best and lightest things you can carry, good luck stay safe and greetings from Australia

Yes... I don't have 25 years experience but I have experience and I have knowledge. Although I agree that they are the things that are the best things to carry would be nice to carry some stuff you can't make from the local herbs, huh? And Australia! Always wanted to go there or to New Zealand!

I have done quite a few first aid courses and had some limited experience leading groups. I actually think under most circumstance a first aid kit is not very useful unless we are operating in very remote areas with poor communications. The most useful thing that I have is experience, gained from outdoor specific first aid training just working with groups. All I now carry is gloves, aspirin and a face shield, antiseptic wipes and just a few plasters. If its a large cut a a towel or scarf works just as well as the a field dressing. In my experience all the ointment, sting relief and sprays on the market don't help much anyway. Get training it weighs nothing, I would also say practical outdoor instruction. I did some training outdoors with fake wounds, very realistic and scary, but also very interesting and useful experience.

When you say
is not very useful unless we are operating in very remote areas with poor communications. The most useful thing that I have is experience, gained from outdoor specific first aid training just working with group.
I say that that is exactly the situation. When even if you have phone signal it would take 30 minutes to 1 hour for help to arrive you would need some nice stuffs with you... Ok I will put you in one of my situations. Me and 4 of my friends are camping out in the wilds of Siberia (you can pay the firemen to drop you off in remote areas :p) and I will do the same situation that I said to Ahjno-you get a rusty nail making a hole in your leg...oh wait we have been camping for a week! No phone battery! Oh noes! What do we do? So I gave him the injection against tetanus and some antibiotics. I also gave him Ibuprofen (I know it's not the thing to give, and I'm not sure if it helped but we had nothing else. Once we stopped the bleeding (very small bleeding, surprisingly) I decided that it needed some stiches...

I have just completed an Emergency First Aid at Work course. I did it because I knew NOTHING apart from what I had seen on TV and read in books. Although concerned at the lack if things covered (like the recovery position :eek:) I still feel like I have learnt quite a bit from it.
I have the basics in my first aid kit, but still doubt I would use half of it. Get a course done. It will help, even just having the ability to talk the scenario through with other pupils and the lecturer helped to get a better view on things.
I understand your family have told you, but nothing beats practical experience from an 'outside source' I guess

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Congrats with completing the course! I can agree with you on that-the part about outside sources. I feel I know alot. Yes there are many dark holes (on some basic stuff, which I will fill) but I feel that I know alot. About courses, I HAVE taken a course but I DO NOT have any qualifications. Don't ask me questions about that. It's to do with the country I did the courses in. I could do a course in UK for good measure and I will in the future (which would allow me to legally possess some stuff). But as I have said before, what I need is NOT to give a bloke some tabs stick him in a good ol' recovery and call the pros. BECAUSE THERE IS NO ZONE. Simples. Or the phones have all run out of battery because of camping for long periods of time. That is why the Standard First Aid courses are not for me. Yes if its anything too serious I would help myself/my friends as much as I can and we would legit 20km/or more to the nearest road/village. When I camp in UK this is not a problem(usually). But me and my friends like going to Eastern Europe/Russia where there are serious problems. Is this kind of camping not safe? Yes! But if you camp close to roads I see no fun in it... What I see as a good camping trip is something where me and my friends simply could NOT contact the outside world. Sometimes even the radios dont pick anything up!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest, you need to go and do some training, at the moment you are keen and have energy, a dangerous combination without the knowledge to use it.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Mine has-

Mixed plasters
Plaster tape (for butterfly's or strapping up a deep cut)
One large non stick sterile pad
One medium crepe bandage (to go with sterile pad or bind sprained ankle ect)
One eye patch which serves as a small bandage/pad (or even an eye pad)
Two pairs nitrile gloves
Large stericool pad (large burns)
stericool sachets (smaller burns)
Non alchohol wipes
Hand gel
Small yellow biohazard bag for dirty implements and a clean surface to work from

Paracetamol
Imodium
Anti histamine
Tramadol (for self use only)

I'm covered for small to large cuts, small to large(ish) burns, sprains, breakages, allergy's, the trots and strong pain killers worst case. Fingers crossed I'll never need it.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
This OP seems to somewhat patronising without realising that others have their experiences too.

I spent 3 years in Antarctica on various remote expeds without returning home and with no chance of rescue should things go tits up. My answer remains solid - training first.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
32x Water-Proof Plasters
10x Small Paper Plasters
30x Soviet Time Things that you shove up the **** (Used to relieve **** pains and to treat some Intestinal Conditions (But can be used for some other things too). These things are like medium sized candles that you shove up the **** and they melt.
Around 20 Active-Charcoal Tabs.
20x Bacterial Wipes
Stethoscope (I have used it on DOGS and CATS but I guess it works the same with humans)

Some of the items, and/or the quantities involved, seem way over the top to me......

You are surely not serious, really ?!!!

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE