What if? What if oil ran out tomorrow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, there's a couple of problems with that...

And the problem with shale oil and oil (or, more correctly tar) sands is ...

If anyone is really interesting in this sort of thing, I can highly recommend The Oil Drum. They're not hardcore doomers, and they have a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable contributors.

Thanks for the information. Always glad to hear things I didn't know.

Doc

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
And then to add another level of complexity/confusion to the whole issue, we have the rise in the renewable fuel industry (mostly owned by the same old "energy" companies) -

Methanol ... Ethanol ... and Bio-Diesel

Methanol - made from wood products
Ethanol - made from mostly corn
Bio-Diesel - made mostly from soybeans

But two of these options compete directly with the food we eat, and the other competes with all our paper and construction materials.

Yes, the "easily accessed" oil reserves are starting to run low. There are several areas around the world that have proven oil deposits that are each equal to or greater than the original reserves found in the Mideast. They just will be harder and more expensive to get to. The oil in the Mideast practicly pumped itself out of the ground. These other reserves/deposits require drilling deeper, or through the ocean into the sea floor, or in harsh climates, or require extraction from shale/sand deposits.

The Falklands War was all about the oil reserves under the sea bed around the islands and controlled by whomever controls those islands. Negotiations to return the islands to Argentina had been going on for decades, and were nearing completion. Then the test drilling rigs proved the oil deposits under the sea bed, and huge pressure was put on Britain to not transfer the Islands back.

And another big battle is looming off the coast of Central America. Venesuela is already tapping into the deposits under their country, and running up along the coast of the other countries in Central America. But now everybody near that area is claiming that those "territorial waters" are theirs - even Cuba. Again, oil deposits equal to or greater than what was originally in the Mideast.

And the same thing is happening off the coast of Vietnam - involving them, Red China, Free China, and the Philipines. Plus throw in a couple tiny "island" nations.

So there is more oil out there than all that has ever been used over the years. It is CHEAP OIL that is declining. And the "renewable" fuels are on the rise.

Now, if the original question is to be answered:

If the current "fuels that keep our world running" did suddenly dry up, the world as we know it would devolve in utter chaos. Initially, there would be a massive die-off of people in the cities who would not, or could not, adapt. Then the huge decrease in available food would kill off billions. And that's without any of the ... damage ... from the various wars that would start. Like swarms of locusts, all the people fleeing the cities for the "country" would devistate all the areas around the cities within a couple days walk/drive. All those scenarios of the aftermath of a nuclear war would start to come to pass - without the initial bomb destruction. Remote areas would fare better, and small pockets of civilized communities would survive - but only if they use deadly force to protect themselves.

The Wild Lands, of mostly myth and legend, would not be the refuge most believe. They are a harsh area to survive in good times with little competition. When invaded by hoardes seeking refuge from dieing cities, few would survive.

Yeah, gloom and doom! But also some harsh reality.

Sorry for rambling on so long. But I have researched and contemplated these things for more than a few decades.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - being grumpy out in the Hinterlands

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Maybe I should have phrased my question a little bit different. I think that we could argue whether or not oil will run out for years or until at least until the day that it finally does run out anyway.

So how about this. Let me rephrase the question.

What would you do if the price of oil becomes so expensive that you could no longer afford it? In other words, oil, and all of the beneficial products derived from it, i.e. electricity, gasoline, plastics, cheap transportation, etc. were no longer within your budget. Since that senerio seems more plausible then the world immediately running dry. How would you cope? What bushcraft skills do you think you could employ to help?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...So how about this. Let me rephrase the question.

What would you do if the price of oil becomes so expensive that you could no longer afford it? In other words, oil, and all of the beneficial products derived from it, i.e. electricity, gasoline, plastics, cheap transportation, etc. were no longer within your budget. Since that senerio seems more plausible then the world immediately running dry. How would you cope? What bushcraft skills do you think you could employ to help?

I'd do everything that Old Jimbo suggests :D:
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/

Apologies if I sound flippant :)

Cheers,
Paul.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It won't run out all at once though, it will just get more and more expensive til its un economic to use for many of the things that its currently used for.

Then the alternatives (that have been too expensive) will get used.

Heading for the hills is a nice idea while your the only one doing it but as soon as everyone starts buying up smallholdings the prices for land will shoot up and those who couldnt afford them now still won't be able to afford them.

There are already alternative fuels for vehicles and petrol and diesel are mostly expensive because of the tax we pay on them.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
It takes a LARGE area of wild lands to support a SMALL group of hunter/gatherers. That rules out that option for most people.

What you are basically talking about is moving our current level of civilization back in time between 120 ang 150 years. At that time, most people lived on small holdings out in the countryside growing their own food along with a little extra to trade to support those in the small towns and small cities - for a limited amount of manufactured goods and items that were not available locally. Large towns/cities are hard to support without a power structure in place to coerce the surrounding areas into providing what they need to exist and survive - either by favourable trade or physical power. We quickly get back to the old Fuedal system.

Sorry once again for my rambling thoughts. After many years of research and observation of people and utopian visions, harsh reality removed those dreamy rose-colored glasses from my eyes. Those utopian communities were nice mental dreams, but basic human/animal nature always corrupts them over the years. There is always another person in line to take what you have for themselves - by any means necessary.

More humble thoughts to share.

Mikey - being grumpy once again out in the Hinterlands

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
society will not break down we wont run out oil in an instant.
oil will become more and more rare and hence more and more expensive.
At the end of the day theres bikes, horses and methane for transport, and most of the rubber and plastics used in the world go to making needless tatt.
We have atomic energy, stacks of coal, wood, wind, tidal and thermal etc.
Society wont break down it will just be a different set of problems.
On the plus side i will be well practiced in self sufficiency by then, it will be a good time for both asthma sufferers and the reduction of road kill.
If you live in heathrow or near an airport your house prices will rise.
mad max it wont be.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I think it is going to get bad, and in our lifetime. Lofthouse, I think your view is too simplistic. Any form of change will lead to severe restrictions which will lead to conflict which will lead to fighting which will lead to death for many and that doesn't include the millions in third world countries who rely totally on foreign aid. Once oil becomes too expensive ships won't sail loaded with grain to feed them. Food prices here will soar along with increased transportation costs. It goes on and on and not much of it seems to be good news. Granted, there are alternatives to oil, but very little is being done to promote their manufacture an use.

Some people may think that getting prepared for the above is a waste and that we are being alarmist, I can only say that these people are right-until they're wrong. And the consequences of them being wrong are greater than the consequences of us being wrong.

Eric

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yes, things will most likely go into a long, slow, decline instead of changing rapidly. Everything associated with oil (and fuel in general) will get progressively more expensive. If the price of oil goes up, then the price of milk, bread, eggs goes up - as well as every other product out there. They all require oil in the growing/manufacturing/processing/shipping process.

But that will not affect people equally. Those in more rural areas will end up having to pay more because of that distance and travel from the big cities.

Where I live, it is 20 miles on the roads to either of the two nearest cities/towns - one way. So it is a 40 mile round trip just to get food, fuel, clothes, or to visit the Post Office. My part-time occasional job is 35 miles one way. And here in Northeast Iowa, the area is considered pretty populated/settled. If you go 200 to 300 miles west of me out to the Great Plains states, the nearest town/shopping could easily be 100 miles of more one way. And we are talking Miles not city Blocks. So the cost of fuel for transportation greatly concerns me.

Over the years, I have had several conversations with people who tried to convince me to get rid of my personal vehicle, and just use Public Transportation or take an occasional Taxi ride - all in the name of saving money, oil resources, and the environment. But they could not understand that I would have to travel 20 miles just to get to the nearest Bus Stop, and that bus route only went north/south. And that the nearest Taxi was also 20 miles away, and would not travel more that 5 miles from their home base.

To them, the whole world worked just like the big city they lived in. Well, a big city is a mear fraction of the rest of the whole world.

Yes, this world will probably go out with a wimper instead of a bang - at least until somebody starts a war for the material goods and natural resources of their neighbor. But given the track record of humanity, greed will step to the forefront.

More humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - now getting depressed out in the Hinterlands - I need a wee dram or three...

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Mikey - now getting depressed out in the Hinterlands - I need a wee dram or three...

S_o_r_r_y about that Mikey. Didn't mean to depress you. :sad6: I was just curious as to how people could use bushcraft skills in such a situation. Considering that the price of oil has been breaking records this week, I thought it would be a timely question to consider.

I think we are already seeing how some people in general would react. In my neck of the woods there have been a few people who fill up their cars and drive off without paying. Also, I have heard of people getting in their cars only to find that their gas tank is not as full as it was when they parked. :( Only time will tell I guess.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
No worries, mate.

But I am reminded of that old joke: I'd be depressed, but I can't cheer up that much!

I will get by - as I always do.

Now, there are still many options available to deal with the future energy supply. People have barely tapped into the knowledge and ideas of Tesla on this. Some of his ideas/concepts/inventions tapped what we would now call Cosmic energy flowing all around us - turning it into electricity.

And there are some very interesting experiments with super-magnets in making a motor that runs off of the the right configuration of those super-magnets - without any outside power source. Such a "motor" the size of a gallon milk jug connected to an alternator would generate enough electricity to power a normal single family house. Very interesting research.

Plus, cold fusion is still a dream - but much closer to reality.

And we haven't even gotten around to the Jamison Motor or the Dean Drive - a shoe box sized engine for a vehicle and an inter-stellar propulsion engine - both of which have many other applications besides their original purposes. And without burning oil to run.

So options are out there. The biggest problem will be getting these new concepts/ideas/inventions past the "old guard" of the established energy companies who pretty fiercely protect what they consider is THEIR turf!

Plus, when it really comes down to basics, I do have the knowledge and skills to live a pre-industrial life style out here in the hinterlands. I would miss my electricity, pickup truck, refridgerator, chainsaw, and internet, but I could live on.

So it goes.

Mikey - much more contented out here in the Hinterlands

p.s. And don't forget that there are those aliens that are going to swoop in and save us all! :D Or was that enslave us all?:rolleyes: I always get those two confused.:lmao: 9++

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
So options are out there. The biggest problem will be getting these new concepts/ideas/inventions past the "old guard" of the established energy companies who pretty fiercely protect what they consider is THEIR turf!

no problem as soon as the companys find a new way to control the markets as well as oil then it will happen

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
If oil dried up tomorrow:

The supermarkets would be empty by lunch time.

Two or three days later there would be gangs roaming the streets looking for prey.

I am going to use London here, but you can use any City or Town.

London, no food; 12,000,000 people all trying to stay alive - the police and Army units will become just another gang - well armed and organised.

London, no electrically pumped fresh water.

London, no electrically pumped sewage disposal.

London, no rubbish collection.

London, no electrically powered telephone network.

London, no electrically dependent TV or Radio.

London, no functional transport network.

When the resources are gone from London people will head out to the suburbs - imagine 12,000,000 all heading for Canterbury or Reading.

Doom and gloom, maybe, someone asked what would happen if the oil ran out there are your outcomes I'll let you imagine the results. I used to be on the disaster management team for a large developing north Wiltshire Town - some of the people used to play what if games and run scenarios for planning purposes. Lots of things were thrown up as issues as a result, for example did you know we have less than 5 days worth of food in the field to table pipeline at anyone time.`

Bio-diesel, you could not grow enough oil producing plants on the entire planet to satisfy our present needs.

Hydrogen fuel cells is the answer, but the limp excuse for not introducing them at the moment is that they cannot store more than 100miles worth of fuel in a vehicle. Even Arnold 'nice hummer' Schwarzenegger is pushing hydrogen fuel cells as the best and cleanest fuel source. I personally do not think that oil companies want this kind of technology out there on the shelf though..........where would their profits go........so where is the incentive to fund R&D.

As for going to the Highlands or Wales, yeah ok, you and the rest of the population. Realistically you want to be south where it is warm. Its going to take about a week of a bad winter to deforest what forests there are. Added to the fact that I would not give any wild life more than a few days grace after the supermarkets become empty.

Bottom line, if there are no viable energy sources then there is no way this species will survive as is.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I know a couple of groups who are living completely off grid and are self sufficient, down to the food they grow/produce and all their energy needs. We had an interesting chat once about how vunerable they would be in a crisis because everyone in the area who knows about their existence would descend and it would turn ugly.

I would say that a solar panel/ decent leisure batteries/ basic lighting/ radio , a decent bow saw and some large water containers would be a good start. There is something satisfying about hearing how there has been a power cut and to know nothing about it because you have been completely unaffected by it.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I would say that a solar panel/ decent leisure batteries/ basic lighting/ radio , a decent bow saw and some large water containers would be a good start. There is something satisfying about hearing how there has been a power cut and to know nothing about it because you have been completely unaffected by it.

Remember the 3 day week and power cuts, well I'm sort of that old, I was a young teenager back then. Anyway, a chappie I used to know was into electronics and he rigged up his own automatic charging system for a bank of 12 volt car batteries, come power cut time his dad would change all the normal light bulbs for 12V ones and away they would go, I think they had a couple of inverters also so that they could run 240V appliances - like the fridge.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
I think it is going to get bad, and in our lifetime. Lofthouse, I think your view is too simplistic. Any form of change will lead to severe restrictions which will lead to conflict which will lead to fighting which will lead to death for many and that doesn't include the millions in third world countries who rely totally on foreign aid. Once oil becomes too expensive ships won't sail loaded with grain to feed them. Food prices here will soar along with increased transportation costs. It goes on and on and not much of it seems to be good news. Granted, there are alternatives to oil, but very little is being done to promote their manufacture an use.

Some people may think that getting prepared for the above is a waste and that we are being alarmist, I can only say that these people are right-until they're wrong. And the consequences of them being wrong are greater than the consequences of us being wrong.

Eric

Im not saying life will be a bed of roses, life never is and never has been, even beds of roses have thorns.
I bet hugh hefner has days when he wakes up thinking his life is garbage.
Sure we will be right royaly expletive deleted on the prices of things, but where the skills we practice comes in handy is that we do not need to buy these things,
people spend most there money on garbage anyway, whats the point of fluffy dice and a million other thing.
Ive pretty much got nothing and its how i like, ive got nothing to lose.
I understand what you are saying about ships not setting sale etc,
But at the end of the day when oil runs out i just do not believe it will be the collapse of the earth and a return to the dark ages.
peoples priorities will have to change is all.
those without an ability in self reliance will suffer the most and those without the ability to adapt will suffer too.
As for the third world i think once the ships and planes stop delivering the aid etc they will either adapt to that situation or they will not and man is man and we do one thing better than any other animal and thats adapt.
The weak will suffer, always have always will, its the nature of things.
Chin up my friend the future will be different from now but the skills and knowledge we are all learning will serve us well in it.
If the world is full of war, so what , i wont be fighting for any side but me.
The tentieth century was full of war and pestilence we are still here, adapted to the present and in general still none the wiser for it.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
All very true. However, in the tenth century people still knew how to make stuff from what lay around them. There were still great forests to make use of, there was a fraction of the population there is now and they didn't have what we know today as 'technology' to cater to their every need.

Even today, without wars or pestilence if the washing machine breaks down in the average British household, the family will go dirty. There are thousands of young people out there who don't even know how to do a hand wash.

Take away their convenience foods and tell them to make their own bread, make soup from raw vegetables, make a sauce by first making a roux and they'd look at you with a dumb expression on their face. A very high percentage of the population of this country simply couldn't manage without our modern trappings. What do you think it'll be like if alcohol and tobacco supplies dry up? Never mind the druggies not getting their fix, people are going to get hacked off really badly without much provocation. Rising prices, fuel shortages, rationing, curfews. All these things will come to pass long before the oil runs out. The poll tax riots of a few years ago will seem like a picnic compared to what will happen when our government clamps down on civil liberties. During a conventional war, the people learn to go without. They have a common enemy to focus their anger on. In the scenario we speak of here, there will be no common enemy. The people will blame the government for not acting sooner and they will be angry. They will be hungry, and they will react violently. Past history shows this to be human nature.

Even those who prepare will be in great danger. People who are hungry will not leave you alone, even if you mind your business and don't bother anyone. If you live in a city, you might have a few days before people notice you have lights, food, smoke coming out your chimney. Then they'll knock at your door and ask you to share with them. When you refuse, they'll get angry and call you all the tight fisted b******s under the sun. Then they'll just take your stuff and leave you with your life if you are lucky. If you live in the countryside you might have a week, two at most, but the same thing will happen.

I sound like a doomsayer, but I hope to God I don't see it in my lifetime. However if you read your history books, and look realistically at what people are like as their base level you'll see what I'm getting at.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs explains how humans react when all that they have known is stripped away from them. Someone who had wealth and power will become animalistic in order to survive when the chips are down. Your nice neighbours now will kill you then for what you have and they don't.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is often depicted as a pyramid consisting of five levels: the four lower levels are grouped together as deficiency needs associated with physiological needs, while the top level is termed growth needs associated with psychological needs. Deficiency needs must be met first. Once these are met, seeking to satisfy growth needs drives personal growth. The higher needs in this hierarchy only come into focus when the lower needs in the pyramid are satisfied. Once an individual has moved upwards to the next level, needs in the lower level will no longer be prioritized. However, if a lower set of needs is no longer being met, the individual will temporarily re-prioritize those needs by focusing attention on the unfulfilled needs. The individual never regresses from one level to a lower one, however. An example of this fact may be a businessman at the esteem level who is diagnosed with cancer. He will spend a great deal of time concentrating on his health (Physiological needs) but would still value his work performance (esteem needs) and is likely to return to work during periods of remission.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE