Urban survival...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
This has come up before, how would you manage in a strange town/city with no cash, friends or contacts?
This is the no friends, no money, no hope scenario.

Just your wits, good looks to rely upon...

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I believe there was a games show based on this and people had to get around the world. Of course having a camera crew following you makes people you ask for help more generous.

Me personally I would walk into the local housing benefit office and be sorted by the end of the day, UK law they must put me up with food and cash. In a foreign country find the police, tell them I have no passport or visa. They will give me a place to stay, food and deport me back to the UK in a couple of days.

Last edited:

BATMAN

Forager
Mar 9, 2012
Scotland
I believe there was a games show based on this and people had to get around the world. Of course having a camera crew following you makes people you ask for help more generous.

Me personally I would walk into the local housing benefit office and be sorted by the end of the day, UK law they must put me up with food and cash. In a foreign country find the police, tell them I have no passport or visa. They will give me a place to stay, food and deport me back to the UK in a couple of days.

End thread/

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
This has come up before, how would you manage in a strange town/city with no cash, friends or contacts?
This is the no friends, no money, no hope scenario.

Just your wits, good looks to rely upon...

Sell my body on the street....and make a freaking fortune! :D

Bin it after a couple of months, retire, buy Mustique and live happily there ever after. The End.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Personally, if I were suddenly without a home or family or friends, I'd make for the hills rather than a city. City centres grind you to dust.

you lot are blind, the countryside is all well and good etc, green grass blah blah, animals bouncing about every where blah blah, thats the end of that

to live without a home or money or shelter is a lot harder than you think, here is some of the basics

meals, one a day two if you extreamly blooming lucky or happen to find what i would describe as a productive wheelie bin, i will and have fought over the right to lay claim to a wheelie bin that show important it is to you.

next up water, sounds easy to find some where with a tap to use, to wash and cook and clean and drink you want 5 gallons a day, one to drink, one to cook, one to clean, and two to shower with, thats of course a lot and some days you can get away with just half a gallon.

sleeping, whilst some here will harp on about how they are as hard as brass sleeping outside all the time in the winter, try doing it without your top of the line blooming sleeping bag and without a fire on the go also , you get cold, and you dont get warm untill the spring, the only way i can describe it is that your bones get cold not just the flesh and you can never seem to warm up again,

next up fire, the perfect woods mans companion, i proberly had more fires put out than i kept going, i would say maybe as high as 7 out of ten fires were put out rather than burning out and another one out of ten someone threw a flambible liquid on it for a laugh, several times i had every personal possession burnt to the ground and just had the clothes i stood in, several times i woke up to find every thing has been pinched and many many times every thing i had was stolen when i returned to its stash point, to make it i needed to have several items which , without makes life almost impossible to live without and on all ocassions they were aquired some how

next problems hygene, thats the poo end first, its very very hard to keep it totaly clean when using leaves so you have to wash it more often,

athalets foot, i suffer from that and when i was out and about it got to extreamly bad situation , thank heaven for "potty mang my mate " , i was using so much of it my foot went brown, it stains brown by the way not pink as everyone thinks.

clothes and shoes and boots and washing clothes is extreamly hard to do when you only have one set in the middle of winter ?

and lastly hunting, now i would consider myself a very prolific snare man and have been doing it for years in the town and the countryside, most people that try for the first time would proberly hit say two rabbits a week on a very well stocked area, and when do you aquire enough brass wire for 50 snares and to pay with it with what,

one of the big medical issues i suffered with was obtaining salt , untill i found out mcdonalds give it away, a extreamly low sodium diet makes me suffer from very painfull cramps in the legs and secondly i was trying to take doctor prescribed tablets as well, three doctors after i walked in the third or second time , struck me off there books as i was a homeless bum and did not want me going to thier surgery, the docotr i did see in the end was via a church congregation in a city i had moved to who between eight people not only helped me find a way back to humanity and normality also managed to help me find myself,

just a small note the doctor still used to bring me the tablets to the church rather than upset his clients at the surgery, and almost every single person you meet when you are " dirty or crusty" will either walk past and not see you, and i realy do mean NOT SEE YOU or they just see you as dirt and walk on past

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Would people be interested in attending an urban survival course? 2 days duration.

I team with some people who are very qualified in this area, and it's an idea we've bounced around a few times. If there was genuine interest, it'd get run.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
Dam hedgerowpete sounds like you been there, stayed, printed the t shirt, been though the worst of life has to offer, glad your back on track matey.
I think if any one could run a coarse or look at the other side of life or urban survival its you.

Fending for yourself in the streets is no easy feat. I tried this a few years ago when I decided to test my skills at urban survival. As with any form of survival, the right attitude and knowledge are the key aspects.

There are many charities out there who offer help, it depends if you are in a big city or not. I found that the major churches gave away lunch hampers containing sandwiches, fruit, choc bar and crisps, there would be 3-4 soup kitchens that would rock up at dusk at various locations around the city, soup and a sarnie - not too bad. Pizza hut usually cooks too many pizzas and at close of play these get dished out through the back door.

As for accommodation - your lucky to be offered a bed in a hostel for a night, and I've stayed in a few but would rather take my chances on the streets. The amount of bodies leaving in bodybags is shocking, and so are the size of the rats. At least on the streets you can rest in relatively safe areas if you plan ahead . . .just the cold to contend with - no real escaping this. Again, target the charities who dish out blankets and sleeping bags.

Planning is key. Day one of your urban survival experience, head to the nearest public library and google the info. . . libraries are great places to read during the long winter months . . . people tend to not see you if you head up to the genealogy section!

Plenty of public conveniences around too for you to spend a penny . . . it's amazing how much loose change you can find by keeping your eyes on the ground. . . £20 a day - more than enough for a laundrette and entrance to a swimming pool to use their showers! . . . . . of course, any change left over goes towards 6 can of tennents supper, a bottle of White lightening and a bottle of meths in a brown paper bag!

Last edited:
Assuming for the sake of fun we are not contacting authorities and we're not heading for the country ...

We need clothing, shelter, heat, water and food. We also need to keep clean and ultimately entertained. What have we got around us that can be utilised? What's in the skips and bins? What unnatural features can we exploit? What can we steal and what can we trade for? What do others have to offer? What can we use as currency?

unlike almost everyone i did meet i choose to be homeless and did so for about 13 months mainly in england and a short time in the welsh borders. I then choose to stop doing it when i decided to stop being an idiot and to crack on with life instead of hating it.

the big mistake everyone here would think like the posters above is to head for the countryside and live the wild life, personal i would give most people a month before the die of hypo or stavation or illness. very very few people can hunt well enough in an area well enough stocked to do so, without looking at sheep . pigs, cows, lambs etc, rabbits are harder than you think, shore line and fishing is a better bet,

but i needed the important things that towns and citys provide like, internet and telephone books and a street A to Z and where would i have been without large stores to shop in to get supplies.

You are only the third person who I know of (including myself) who took a voluntary step towards and chose to be homeless. For me, it was a personal learning curve - to have nothing but I gained a huge amount. Skills, knowledge, experiences and just knowing that I could last a winter with just my own resourcefulness. I did consider going bush, but, the disadvantages you mentioned put me off. . . I now do that as a hobby!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE