Unusual encounters in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Read the top (link), through various pages ...

I did. It was morbidly fascinating to read their tortured logic and twisted "science". But one doesn't need to read past the first sentence on the home page to figure out their agenda: "We have a Biblical viewpoint on the world."

... i don't recall anyone in history building a city or group of cities 2000ft beneath the ocean, and yet they are there. They are not even disputed by science, they cannot be because they are there...

There is no evidence of any such thing. Only ancient myths and a few crackpot zealots grasping at straws to "prove" Noah's flood.

Why are you so eager to ignore logic, reason, experience and all the advancements of science, and to believe half-baked theories propounded by kooks?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Only ancient myths and a few crackpot zealots grasping at straws to "prove" Noah's flood.

QUOTE]

And there was me thinking that recent Archeological science had proved the physical fact of a Middle Eastern flood that drowned large areas (the whole "known" world of the time) and started those darn rumours (that crop up in several races traditions).
Damn those zealous scientists!:rolleyes:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
There is no evidence of any such thing. Only ancient myths and a few crackpot zealots grasping at straws to "prove" Noah's flood.

Why are you so eager to ignore logic, reason, experience and all the advancements of science, and to believe half-baked theories propounded by kooks?

A flood happened, the story of noah was attached to it much later. I am using logic, reason and experience. Ignore the story, find the underlaying facts, seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
And there was me thinking that recent Archeological science had proved the physical fact of a Middle Eastern flood that drowned large areas (the whole "known" world of the time) and started those darn rumours (that crop up in several races traditions).
Damn those zealous scientists!:rolleyes:

Yes, there have been floods in the middle east, as well as everywhere else in the world. In fact, there was one here last year. I didn't see any arks loaded with giraffes, polar bears and dinosaurs float by, though. Your point?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes, there have been floods in the middle east, as well as everywhere else in the world. In fact, there was one here last year. I didn't see any arks loaded with giraffes, polar bears and dinosaurs float by, though. Your point?

They have dinosaurs round your way? Cool:cool:
At the time of the so called "Biblical Flood", whos survivours would apeared to have used their understanding of events to start the stories which later developed into Noahs story in the Bible - it is regarded by some scientists that there was a cataclismic flood, not just a common or garden variety burst river flood but a Giant tsunami, probably the worse encountered by anyone capable of communicating to others just how bad it was.
This became the biblical (and other religious traditions) story of the flood.
It ain't only zealots who can see that biblical stories and legends can have a basis in truth.
Troy was found and excavated by follwing up the Greek legends and proven to be a real place - even if the legends my have corrupted the detail of the History of the Trojan Wars.

Even scientists can have minds open enough to see the validity of legends and traditional stories and find the truth behind them!
It could be said that only the truely prejudiced are not willing to examine the "unusual" to see if there is truth there, and there is no debating with someone who will not examine the evidence but only maintain their existing beliefs - be they in religion, legend or science (of whichever date)!
Words are a very inefficient medium of communication as the meaning are often misunderstood and easily corrupted but if you can cut through the layers of obfuscation (deliberate or accidental)
then
The Truth is Out There
Now - any more Spooky happenings...?

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
They have dinosaurs round your way? Cool:cool:
At the time of the so called "Biblical Flood", whos survivours would apeared to have used their understanding of events to start the stories which later developed into Noahs story in the Bible - it is regarded by some scientists that there was a cataclismic flood, not just a common or garden variety burst river flood but a Giant tsunami, probably the worse encountered by anyone capable of communicating to others just how bad it was.
This became the biblical (and other religious traditions) story of the flood.
It ain't only zealots who can see that biblical stories and legends can have a basis in truth.
Troy was found and excavated by follwing up the Greek legends and proven to be a real place - even if the legends my have corrupted the detail of the History of the Trojan Wars.

Even scientists can have minds open enough to see the validity of legends and traditional stories and find the truth behind them!
It could be said that only the truely prejudiced are not willing to examine the "unusual" to see if there is truth there, and there is no debating with someone who will not examine the evidence but only maintain their existing beliefs - be they in religion, legend or science (of whichever date)!
Words are a very inefficient medium of communication as the meaning are often misunderstood and easily corrupted but if you can cut through the layers of obfuscation (deliberate or accidental)
then
The Truth is Out There
Now - any more Spooky happenings...?

So, if you're saying that myths and legends often have a basis in truth, we have no disagreement and I don't understand what your point is.

If you're saying that a large flood is proof that Noah floated around in an ark for 40 days with two of everything, we're still waaay off.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So, if you're saying that myths and legends often have a basis in truth, we have no disagreement and I don't understand what your point is.

If you're saying that a large flood is proof that Noah floated around in an ark for 40 days with two of everything, we're still waaay off.

No one is saying there was a noah or an ark, only a flood. Noah is imo a fictional story based on true events, used to promote the power of god to the benefit of the church and the tale allowed it to be put in the bible,

Fact becomes history. History becomes legend. Legend becomes myth.

I AM NOT DEBATING RELIGON, ONLY HISTORY AND THE TRUTH (if any) BEHIND MYTHS AND LEGENDS

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

It must be that my version of English is not clearly understood where you are - try reading my posts again (perhaps with an Oxford dictionary by your side:)

then
The Truth is Out There

I was enjoying this thread but there seem to be more than one poster out there just itching for a religious/scientific war so I am out of here!

Play nicely people - no flaming now.....:nono:

Nonsense.
To see 'God' (whatever you decide he is) in the natural world is short-changing it. People like to kid themselves that they are more 'spiritual', more 'sensitive', more 'in tune' with the mystery of the natural world if they see the divine in it.
That is intellectual infantilism.
If God (or Gods, or spirits, or whatever) created and imbued this world then it loses its mystery - after all, it's been created in a single act. End of story.
Science and investigation puts the mystery back into the world. How do these things grow? How do the evolve in the environment? Where do they come from? What causes these colours? ad infinitum. There is the wonder and mystery!
Just saying 'God did it', or 'the spirits look after the trees', robs the world of its wonder.

I did not mean to suggest the existence of god in that post, as a point of fact that poem is actually about the sun. I do think it's easy to see the divine in nature because

A. it's very divine
B. we will never really understand it - as you say yourself science can only ever raise more questions, the true goal of science is to find the best questions to ask in my opinion.

perhaps we have a different understanding of the word divine, I just take it to mean anything that is incomprehensible in its greatness, nothing to do with god.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sorry, I guess I got confused when we were discussing Noahs' ark on page 4 and you said this:

"Actually theres irrifutable evidence that the flood did happen"

along with posting several links claiming that Noah's ark was real.

I said there was a flood, Unfortunately its hard to find reference to that, that doesn't go down the noah route.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Could we get back on topic please? Was enjoying the spooky stuff !!! Those were a lot more interesting...

As long as others don't hurt you (or anyone else) in any way, who cares what they believe?
Perfectly possible the world with everything in it, including all "memories" in your head and everything else, was created 5 seconds ago. There's no way you can prove it's incorrect and there's no way I can prove it is correct.
Everyone believes what he/she wishes and we can't be sure about anything, so let's just enjoy the ride as much as we can, shall we?
(You could always continue your discussion (or whatever it should be called) in PM or in Other Chatter if you must... Imho)

Spooky stories please! :)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
As long as others don't hurt you (or anyone else) in any way, who cares what they believe?

Well said that man

I wonder how many people have seen things that they cant explain, but never utter so much as a word, for fear of ridicule from those who simply havent seen similar.

Personally, i couldnt give a monkeys whether someone believes me, or demands proof, or trys to put forward some condecending explaination for what it could only have been in thier blinkered view. But maybe im thicker skinned than others

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Id like to back Hillbill up a second and say that though I call myself an atheist (well agnostic really) My sister has had many weird encounters including ones similar to Hillbills story of the woman in africa. My sister saw a man on a platform once who no one else could see, he sugested she go stand on a different platform instead. She did so and bumped into a cleaner who guessed her name and told her what was going to happen in her life.
She has also told me things before they happen , including twice seeing car accidents so she was first on the scene, so these things are actually not that uncommon.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I had a moment a LONG time ago, that I would like to share.
It was 1978, I was 8 years old. Living in New England, this was during the blizzard of 78 (most of NE lost power for a week, pipes burst, etc). Well, my mom had PROMISED me (mind you, I WAS 8) fast food (Kentucky Fried chicken, to be exact), when she got home. Well, of course, that didnt happen (she had to abandon her car on the road and walk home, the roads were completely impassible), and I was quite disappointed. So much so, I put my snowsuit on and left.
I just walked; following streets, walking around. I remember that it was pretty, even despite the snowstorm, and I heard someones dog barking, and thought I was gonna be attacked (this was WELL before leash laws). Well, it came to a point that I was completely, utterly lost. I started to cry, thinking it was dumb for me to run away because of that. Then, I remember panic setting in, that I wouldnt make it home. I was praying aloud for some sort of sign, something to get me home. Oddly, a churchbell, which was a church near my home, started to ring. I followed the sound a little ways, until I figured out where I was. When I got home, I got the beating of a lifetime. But, I was OK, and that was the best part. Never did get that KFC though...
Was this divine intervention, luck, or something else? Who knows. To my 8 year old mind though, it was salvation, pure & simple.
I also had a friend in the army that swore he had dinner with bigfoot sitting next to him while hiking. He never was right in the head though...

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Could we get back on topic please? Was enjoying the spooky stuff !!! ...

It's the twists and turns that make these threads fascinating. Besides, what could be spookier than an invisible preternatural being who wants to drown everyone?

... As long as others don't hurt you (or anyone else) in any way, who cares what they believe?

I do. If people are taught to disregard logic in one area of their lives, they disregard it in all areas. And they tend to want to indoctrinate children who don't know any better into the same sort of thinking. The logical conclusion for them is to incorporate it into government, as we are seeing in both the middle east and the western world with the rise of fundamentalism in both places. Western Europe and America had a huge lead in the sciences that put us at the top of the world's pecking order, and now we're losing it to China and India.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE