Unusual encounters in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but on the replys given i feel i should contribute.

I have had many experiences that are not something i would openly discuss, i have tried explaining them but got the usual reactions so now i don't bother.

Firstly, let me explain about the human eye. From a young age we are taught how to use our eyes, taught how to 'see' properly, by focusing both pupils on an object. This is the standard way how everybody 'looks and sees'. This is all well and good, only there are many ways to use our eyes which we are not taught and using our eyes in this one way damages them. When your in the woods at night and its dark and you look at something it kind of dissapears from view, you look to the side or above/below it to see i clearly, correct? This is the damage caused by how we use our eyes. The peripherals work far better than the centre of vision for certain things. It's entirely possible to train your eyes to work in many different ways. Think of them as a camera lens with adjustable focus etc, different settings = different picture from the same view. With practice its possible to have complete control over the adjustment of all aspects of the eye. Trust me when you can do this you really can see things that are lets say out of the ordinary.

Take auras for example, to some they exist to most its all a load of tripe. But thats all perspective, the auras are always there. most just can't see them because they aren't looking 'properly' they don't know how to adjust there eyes to get the image. Then you get labeled as a nutter because your seeing things. Well, are you guys all nutters because you have seen things others have not???? No you are aren't if anything you are privelaged to experience the other things that share our world that we have little understanding of, i don't believe it's random either, people can be chosen to see these things for reasons we will never know. Also i think it's got something to do with the mind and its unconscious side that we have no control over.

My experiences are many and varied, but i have an open mind these days especially after Africa and the things that happened there, in fact i'd say more than open i'd say accustomed. I accept strange things, i used to believe i was going mad indeed it would have been a releif at the time for that to be true but i wasn't and time has proved that.

In Africa, we were on patrol one day when we came accross a small village, as is custom we stopped off for a quick chat with the head honcho and a rest. As i was getting water, a group of women and children were also at the well. It wasn't until after i'd drawn water and turned to leave that i saw an old woman sat in the shade against a hut wall. What drew my attention to her was that she was pointing at me and telling me to come to her. As i got closer i realised she was blind, bit strange then that she knew where i was and her hand was aimed staight at me. I went over and offered her a drink and she thanked me by my name. The thing that freaked me out was that she used my REAL name and not my legion one ( nobody in my unit knew my real name btw) ok i thought ***. Then she asked me to sit a while, which i did. The conversation that followed shook me to the core ( and for weeks afterwards). She knew things about me, she had been waiting for me, she had a message and a request for me. The request i agreed to and the message i now live my life by. I left that village reeling. A week later we passed through the village again and i sought counsel with the woman but i was told she had died the night we left last week. Then a woman started talking to me in the local language and i didn't have a clue what she was saying. She looked at me perplexed and asked how i had a conversation with the woman who died. We spoke english i said. The old woman didn't know english apparently and whats more she hadn't spoke to anyone for years, and yet i spoke to her for a while in perfect english. The contents of the conversation are not going to be given out especially on the net. It affected me so much it changed the course of my life big time. Her departing words linger in my ears to this day.

"Go with your companion Englishman, keep yourself alive for your country will soon need it's three lions."

Make of it what you will, but they are the words she used.

if this true i know how you feel.my mother had what people call the gift alas i got it. too . it is not a gift it ia a curse

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
if this true i know how you feel.my mother had what people call the gift alas i got it. too . it is not a gift it ia a curse

It's true. True enough that i won't repeat it, true enough that since writing it i've had goose pimples crawling all over my body. I've not felt them like this since it happened, not even when i think about it.

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
I've heard a story about a gentleman who was trapped in the wild and he believes that during one of his darkest hours a huge black dog appeared to him and said that if he asked, it could get him out...

It's a good job it wasn't that huge white dog, because he knows b****r all about bushcraft...

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I've heard a story about a gentleman who was trapped in the wild and he believes that during one of his darkest hours a huge black dog appeared to him and said that if he asked, it could get him out, I don't know if this story is true ...

It's true, all right. Had to sell my soul to some chap named "Mephistopheles" to get out of that bushcrafting fix. Now the dog follows me everywhere I go. The bill doesn't come due until I attain the zenith of human happiness, and in the meantime I've been granted lustful and destructive relationships with innocent and nubile women like Toddy, and brilliance as a poster on BushcraftUK. (You've undoubtedly noticed.) There was some fine print in the contract, too, but I haven't gotten around to reading it all yet.

IMG_0836-1.jpg

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
I believe people see what they want to see.
And its a fact that psychics cant talk to the dead. science and hard facts thats the way to go.

It's true, all right. Had to sell my soul to some chap named "Mephistopheles" to get out of that bushcrafting fix. Now the dog follows me everywhere I go. The bill doesn't come due until I attain the zenith of human happiness, and in the meantime I've been granted lustful and destructive relationships with innocent and nubile women like Toddy, and brilliance as a poster on BushcraftUK. (You've undoubtedly noticed.) There was some fine print in the contract, too, but I haven't gotten around to reading it all yet.

I tried to sell my soul to that guy but he said it wasn't in mint condition and started haggling with me. That's the coolest dog I've seen in a long time, easily worth a soul, who really uses them anyway?

Louis,

you saw a rock troll mate,my friends granny used to talk about them , from when she was a little girl in the highlands(somewhere near Fort William I think she came from). She used to tell me & Rob lots of scary stories when we were small about where she lived , pity is she's passed on now & all the tales have went with her more's the pity, but it does sound like her rock troll story.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Me and mate were in a wandering over fields one night (i wont say what we were doing) but it was about 2.00am and we were well away from any houses or roads or anything. It was dark but you could see where the hedge and sky line met, sky being more of a dark blue to the hedges black. we knew these fields quite well, knew where the gateways were and such so even tho we couldnt see much, we knew where we was going.

as we wer walking up one field edge, i could see a big square shape up ahead, about the size of a lorry, couldnt see it but could see the silhouette as it was higher than the hedge. knowing these fields and never seeing anything there before, i pointed it out to my mate and we started walking towards it, just nosey as to what it was.

I cant say how close we got to it, maybe 100yrds when all of a sudden, this lorry sized black silhouette (that we thought was a building) took off across the field, at christ knows what speed but easily as fast plane, but made no sound, no lights, was just a huge black squarish silhouette against a dark blue sky. plus there was no acceleration, one second it was still the next it was barrelling along the near horizon and within seconds gone and out of site.

whether it came back or not, who knows cos we ran away like ive never run since

spookiest thing i ever saw

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Louis,

you saw a rock troll mate,my friends granny used to talk about them , from when she was a little girl in the highlands(somewhere near Fort William I think she came from). She used to tell me & Rob lots of scary stories when we were small about where she lived , pity is she's passed on now & all the tales have went with her more's the pity, but it does sound like her rock troll story.

Mmm...have you noticed that you don't get so many trolls under bridges nowadays? Wonder if it's because of the goats.
Not so many sharks in my custard either.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Shakespear had it right -
"There are more thing in heaven and erth, Horatio, than are dreamed of in your philosophy"
(or words to that effect!)

The more one learns, the more you realise how little you know - you know!
It is strange how "hard facts" mutate with age (Copernicus and Gallilao found this out!) yet evidence for "wierd happenings" is timeless and repeats often....:cool:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It is strange how "hard facts" mutate with age (Copernicus and Gallilao found this out!) yet evidence for "wierd happenings" is timeless and repeats often....:cool:

True, but that is no evidence of their existence. But it is evidence of humanity's need to attach a deeper meaning, spirituality and symbolism to our world. Nothing else can explain the continuation of religious belief.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In my book "religion" is about power being accumulated by the manipulative to stamp on the faces of the ignorant..."Spirituality" is about the understanding of the higher life.
I am afraid we are using different lexicons here....:)
Quantum physics says that things can be in 2 places at once - or even outside the known universe - this postulates a second universe that came be crossed over to.
Who says that things from that universe cannot cross into this one?
Is there only 1 "other" universe?
Can anyone form a personal understanding of their existance except from their own experience (if you have not experienced something yourself does that mean others have not either)?
Is it, or is it not, scary to realise that we are incredibly ignorant of our environment and to declare that the things we do not comprehend do not exist is much more comforting, than to agree that - yup we dont know much about existance?
I will not knock anyones truely held beliefs - be they "religious", "scientific" or whatever but I will stick with my understandings and continue my study of my environment, hoping for more understanding to come, rather than put my head in the sand and say "my church leaders/scientists/guru/Daily Mail, say that this is true - therefor I have no need to think any other way"
Wierd happenings happen all the time and until they are understood they remain wierd...be it making new life in labs (scientifically proven - then disproved...) or things that go bump in the night!
:cool:

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Thanks John,

I spent a lot of time in my youth convincing myself that there couldn't possibly be anything weird or scary out there in the woods and I've had to update that reminder whenever I'm out on my own over night.

Now you've come along with a perfectly reasonable arguement for the existence of aformentioned weird and scary stuff and my imagination is running riot....

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Quantum physics says that things can be in 2 places at once - or even outside the known universe - this postulates a second universe that came be crossed over to.

Quantum physisists theorize there are 11 different dimensions to our world/galaxy with 4 that they 'know' about.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
In my book "religion" is about power being accumulated by the manipulative to stamp on the faces of the ignorant..."Spirituality" is about the understanding of the higher life.
I am afraid we are using different lexicons here....:)
Can anyone form a personal understanding of their existance except from their own experience (if you have not experienced something yourself does that mean others have not either)?
Is it, or is it not, scary to realise that we are incredibly ignorant of our environment and to declare that the things we do not comprehend do not exist is much more comforting, than to agree that - yup we dont know much about existance?
I will not knock anyones truely held beliefs - be they "religious", "scientific" or whatever but I will stick with my understandings and continue my study of my environment, hoping for more understanding to come, rather than put my head in the sand and say "my church leaders/scientists/guru/Daily Mail, say that this is true - therefor I have no need to think any other way"
Wierd happenings happen all the time and until they are understood they remain wierd...be it making new life in labs (scientifically proven - then disproved...) or things that go bump in the night!

Great post John :You_Rock_
Though in quantumn physics, a particle doesnt have to be in two places at once, it can be all places at once. It is more to do with our poor understanding of how time works than anything. Time as a rigid backdrop flowing in one direction is how the general populace view it, yet it is entirely false. All time, and all moments exist ALL at once, it is only our conscious perception that seperates it into a sequence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE