Unusual encounters in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It's actually a very good question why there are no indisputable or even clear photographs, as it happens both of us had camera phones on our person when we saw the creature but it didn't even cross our minds for a second to try and take a picture, all i can say in defense of that phenomenal stupidity is that there was really no doubt in our minds about what we were seeing, it wasn't a case of 'oh sh** what was that! did i just see something? let me try and get a picture' we actually had a clear view of it for about five minutes and were just too blown away to think about going into our pockets for the cameras.
On the flip side of the coin though this apparently stupid lack of initiative might point to some kind of mental event that not only caused us to hallucinate but impaired our thinking, we'll never know what it was or what caused it but we do know what we saw, it really is a case of 'if I'm that mentally compromised and it was all just a big hallucination then it really doesn't matter because everything else could be too' if you know what I mean?

EDIT - it's also worth bearing in mind that digital photographs can't really be used as proof of anything given how easy they are to fake, what we really should have done is given the big guy a lead salad in the face then dragged his corpse back to civilization but this would obviously carry the risk of incurring the wrath of a completely unknown 'species' with apparently magical abilities. also I'm not in the habit of killing things (although my neighbors haven't seen their cat since he fouled my lawn)

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
It's actually a very good question why there are no indisputable or even clear photographs, as it happens both of us had camera phones on our person when we saw the creature but it didn't even cross our minds for a second to try and take a picture, all i can say in defense of that phenomenal stupidity is that there was really no doubt in our minds about what we were seeing, it wasn't a case of 'oh sh** what was that! did i just see something? let me try and get a picture' we actually had a clear view of it for about five minutes and were just too blown away to think about going into our pockets for the cameras.
On the flip side of the coin though this apparently stupid lack of initiative might point to some kind of mental event that not only caused us to hallucinate but impaired our thinking, we'll never know what it was or what caused it but we do know what we saw, it really is a case of 'if I'm that mentally compromised and it was all just a big hallucination then it really doesn't matter because everything else could be too' if you know what I mean?

EDIT - it's also worth bearing in mind that digital photographs can't really be used as proof of anything given how easy they are to fake, what we really should have done is given the big guy a lead salad in the face then dragged his corpse back to civilization but this would obviously carry the risk of incurring the wrath of a completely unknown 'species' with apparently magical abilities. also I'm not in the habit of killing things (although my neighbors haven't seen their cat since he fouled my lawn)

What is it that you think you saw? I just read all your posts in this thread, and either you don't say or I missed it.

If not a photo, how about hair, scat, prints, remains, anything? It's not just you, no one ever comes up with evidence that doesn't prove to be a mangy dog, a practical joke or a vivid imagination. If you see a critter you can't identify, it's a lot more likely that you didn't get a good look than that it was supernatural. Yet it seems like us humans have a need to believe things in spite of facts, sometimes.

I saw a 12 foot tall extremely spindly bi-ped with a small flattened head and disproportionately long arms, it was black and had an extremely long stride and a very unusual gait, It was standing straight ahead of us and at first we thought it was a tree until the dog stopped dead and stared at it shaking and refusing to come any further, at that point it appeared to turn towards us, we were frozen for a minute or two in fear then started walking slowly away from it sideways so we could keep our eyes on it and it followed us in this fashion for about five minutes. The things that really stuck in my mind were the strange shape of head and the arms, which it swung in long arcs as it walked. We were genuinely quite afraid of this thing and didn't want to approach it, once it was out of sight we got out of there asap but tried not to run. I don't especially WANT to believe but at the same time we did both see this thing so I have to believe it WAS something, I am as receptive to the idea of us both hallucinating as I am to it actually being a real creature but none the less it happened.
Don't judge me too harshly for this story, I'm really not one of these paranoid internet mentalists.

This actually happened several years ago now, consider the fact that when it disappeared it did so by walking into a cliff face, as such whatever it was probably didn't leave tracks. I will however send you the jar of 4 year old turd if I happen to find some when I go back.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
... 12 foot tall extremely spindly bi-ped ... small flattened head ... disproportionately long arms ... black ... extremely long stride ... very unusual gait... walking into a cliff face,....

Hmmm, it all seems eerily reminiscent of an old roommate named "Chocolate Chip". If basketball is popular in Scotland, I wouldn't be surprised if he settled there. Tell him I said hello, and don't give him any money for crack.

Hmmm, it all seems eerily reminiscent of a roommate I had once named "Chocolate Chip". If basketball is popular in Scotland, I wouldn't be surprised if he settled there. Tell him I said hello, and don't give him any money for crack.

:lmao: Hey bud, is this a universal phenomenon? When I was at uni I had a 6ft mohawk haired crack addict from Dundee as a flatamte for a while. Considering that the city for me was a wilderness does this count as an unusual wilderness experience?
Anyway he was last seen kilted, weilding a basket hilted sword heading towards the meadows after I threw a telly over his head for playing with the sword in the flat scaring a couple of young students (and me!:eek: ) with it. :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a hearty sceptic.

Two illustrations:
My grandfather was a painter/ signwriter in the early 1900's, and finishing a job in one village at this time of year (dark early, heavy cloudy overcast skies, smirr ) he walked homewards along a road that to this day frequently lies in fog in the dips. He could see his friend ahead of him when the fog cleared for a moment, so he yelled, "Wullie ! Wullie ! Wait up, I'll catch you in a minute !" and hurried on. But the hurrieder he went, the faster Wullie ran.
In those days painters carried cans of paint stacked on their heads with a loop of twine holding them together.
Well, Wullie ran home, and his wife sent for the Minister because Wullie had seen a great tall boggle with a funny head calling him from the fog on the Fallside Road :rolleyes:

My cat screamed in the middle of the night, and I got out of bed to go and see what madam had gotten herself into now. Down the stairs, along the hall, out through the kitchen, along the gable wall path and out the side gate to the lane along the burn.
The cat had gotten treed by a fox and was waaaaaay up a huge sycamore screaming a hissy fit. I chased the fox and started to gently encourage the cat down, sort of singsong soft chant,
"Come on......come on, 'mon down to me, aw go on, you know you want to....oh well done, come on , come on down.....you know you really want to come down to me....."

Suddenly my litany was interrupted by a shriek and the thunder of hastily retreating boots :eek:

See, I was dressed in a white linen chemise (we wear then with our arisaids, but to soften the linen we wear them as nightgowns and wash them lots first) and it was misty down that quiet burn path, and my friendly neighbourhood poacher got the fright of his life 'cos a Ban shee was calling him that night :lmao:

Having said all that, I wander places where I ask first if it's okay; sometimes something just doesn't feel a "yes", and I'll go elsewhere. Spirit of place ? no idea, but sometimes I just won't intrude. Other times such calm welcome, a real happy. And sometimes as though shades of the past come drifting by, caught in a moment, like taking a step on a step in a castle that's not there any more but I don't fall, or the old path that cannot be seen.

I do like Spike Milligan's wee rhyme, I taught my sons this :approve:

"Things that go bump in the night,
should really not give one a fright.
It's the hole in each ear,
that lets in the fear,
That, and the absence of light ! " :D

atb,
Toddy

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
Fascinating subject :)

Just done a quick google and found this:

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/scotland/aberdeenshire/hauntings/the-grey-man-of-ben-macdhui.html. It gives a possible explanation for what you experienced:

QUOTE: "A more reasonable explanation for some of the sightings of huge figures in the mist could be phenomena known as the Brocken spectre, named after the German mountains where the effect was first discovered. An early account of such an event occurs in 'In the Shadow of Cairngorm' by The Rev. W. Forsyth,

'Sir Thomas Dick Lauder describes such an appearance ("Edinburgh New Philosophic Journal, 1831.") "On descending from the top (of Ben Mac Dhui) at about half-past three P.M., an interesting optical appearance presented itself to our view. We had turned towards the east, and the sun shone on our backs, when we saw a very bright rainbow described on the mist before us. The bow, of beautifully distinct prismatic colours, formed about two-thirds of a circle, the extremities of which appeared to rest on the lower portion of the mountain. In the centre of this incomplete circle there was described a luminous disc, surrounded by the prismatic colours displayed in concentric rings.

On the disc itself, each of the party (three in number), as they stood about fifty yards apart, saw his own figure most distinctly delineated, although those of the other two were invisible to him. The representation appeared of the natural size, and the outline of the whole person of the spectator was most correctly portrayed. To prove that the shadow seen by each individual was that of himself, we resorted to various gestures, such as waving our hats, flapping our plaids, &c., all which motions were exactly followed by the airy figure.'

This account shows that the Brocken effect, where shadows are reflected onto mist banks giving the appearance of huge figures, has occurred on Ben Machdhui.""

If you want to see photos of this amazing illusion simply type in google, note the long arms of the 'creature':

Brocken spectre, and press 'google images'.

I've had some pretty bizarre stuff happen to myself, so not trying to disrespect you or you're encounter in anyway louis, but I like to try and find an explanation for things, and this may be a possible one?

louis...
Something about your story reminds me of an incident that happened to my friend's father a good few years back.

He saw an "angel" while walking on a hill just south of Manchester - being a very accomplished artist he remembered the scene in great detail and upon arriving home made a sketch in coloured pencil.

He'd realised on the hill that it was connected to him somehow - I'm not sure to what level of clarity - he researched it and found it was a common-ish occurence.

It was something to do with the sun casting a shadow which takes on remarkably lifelike - yet wierdly proportioned and very long characteristics.

I can't help thinking yours could be something similar.
I don't know what the light and atmospheric conditions were like at the time, but it's a possibility.

I'm afraid I can't remember what the phenomenon my friend's dad experienced was called though. Some call it something like an "angel" an "apparition" a "vision" or some such - I'll ask her and see if she knows though.

EDIT
=-=-
Reddy's post (he posted it while I was trying to find the name of the phenomenon) seems to describe what I was trying to.
That sounds like it could well be the same thing.

EDIT 2
=-=-=-
For the record - I would absolutely LOVE to see one of those.
The nearest I've been so far is seeing it while in a plane flying either to or from Geneva - near-perfect outline on the plane on the clouds below and a full-circle rainbow around it which centred on where my window would have been - fascinating experience.

brochen spectres are an amazing sight, I have actually seen one before and it did bear some similarities BUT the original happened at night, about three in the morning, the reason we could see this thing so clearly was that it was a very bright night but with most of the light coming from the moon which wasn't behind us, furthermore there was no mist to speak of, it does seem distinctly possible that it was the result of a similar illusion but again the fact that we walked sideways slowly away from it would contradict the apparitions long strides and arm swinging gait however I can conceive of a scenario where potentially there could have been a veil of mist that we didn't register which was catching the shadow of somebody else on the hill however personally I don't think this can adequately explain it.

I've got it!

It was the long gangly one that had to bend down to get out of the ship at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Were you an extra on the set without realising?

Cheers for the response Louis - doesn't sound like the same thing to me either. Maybe related somehow - but it seems a bit of a stretch for it to be the same thing. Particularly if the moon wasn't behind you.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
If someone has a really convincing experience of a ghostly visit it is most unlikely that they will be convinced such things do not exist.

A long time ago I was in a ship bound from Bombay (as it was then) to Suez. On my watch there was an ordinary seaman, Lofty, who's interest in the supernatural was well known (He drove us potty always on about it. :rolleyes: :) )
One night the AB's rigged a large sack full of rags and covered in a white bedsheet by hanging it up on the foremast stay ( A heavy wire from masthead to the deck on the foc's'le head). Lofty was on foc's'le head lookout at 0330 hrs when they cut the sail twine holding the bag aloft. A low pitched squeal sounded as the heavy bag attached with a shackle ran down the wire stay. Lofty turned and saw the white flapping shape descending, he turned gave a heart rending screech and ran, there was a muted "Bong" and the jokers scuttled aft to the messroom in hysterics. (My ribs hurt)

At 0400 hrs, change of watch, the relief found Lofty stretched out on the deck, a massive crescent shaped cut on his forehead. Quick thinking and the 'ghost' went over the side before the First Mate was informed. Lofty in his terror had run straight into the big brass ship's bell which hung on it's bracket at a height that was safe for most of us..(not him though...:D :D )

By 0500 hrs, the Old Man (ship's Master) was neatly putting in the last of a dozen neat stitches and puzzling why he couldn't smell illicit booze on the breath of this tall looney who kept on about being attacked by a ghost on the foc's'le head.

Now, anyone bumping into a very tall bloke around the Hartlepool area, my age mid 60's, with a huge crescent scar on his forehead. Don't try to convince him there's no such thing as a ghost...:lmao: :lmao:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Louis_Last: If you want to explore this a bit further, Google "Skinwalker ranch, (also known as Sherman ranch and Gorman ranch. This is a cattle ranch in Utah that was for a time the hottest paranormal site in the world. (it seems to have stopped). The full story of what was going on there is so creepy as to defy description. Start with the Wikipedia article, but read the other reports as well. Many contain information not found in the others. (skinwalkers are part of the Navajo Indian belief system and are supposed to be people who can take the shape of an animal. They are very malevolent. Ironically, I don't think skinwakers have had anything to do with this area except that the local Indians consider the place to be on a skinwalker path and therefore to be shunned. They will not enter the property.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Hillbill, that story is fantastic :)

We can see movement clearer with periphral vision, as this is its main function - to alert us to prey or preditor by slight movement. Its also more light sensitive and your reaction times are quicker from objects seen in the side vision.

I was leading a group on Rhum in June two years ago. We were camped in Kilmory Bay, quite near to the old burial ground. About 5 in the morning, whilst light, I heard the sound of someone walking passed my tent which was set back from all the others in a little hollow. As the steps got closer they began to sing, an incredibly beautiful womans voice, it was an old sounding, lilting song that disappeared as she passed the tent and then it was gone.
There was no one else there and I was fully awake.
Still makes me shiver, but in a good way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE