the sap is rising!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
well in east sussex at least. i was pruning some sycamore trees on saturday (not the best time of year but work is quiet) and sap was actually dripping from the wounds!

this is good news if you want to tap trees for their sap but i suspect that it may be worth waiting until the buds start opening as the flow is likely to be greater. of coarse different species will come out of dormancy at different times.

just a word about tapping trees for sap. please please don’t drill deeper than necessary!!! there is no need and it is highly damaging to the tree.

a bit of theory-

the sugary sap comes from the phloem which is a thin layer just beneath the bark. this is made of vessels that connect the roots to the leaves. as the tree photosynthesizes it stores energy from the sun in the form of sugar. this sugar is the trees food as well as building material. any left over sugar is transported to the roots for storage. in autumn the trees leaves fall off and photosynthesis stops (in the case of deciduous trees. evergreens do not have a dormant stage but the rate of photosynthesis does slow). in spring the tree comes out of dormancy and the sugars stored in the roots travel up the phloem to the dormant buds. these buds are produced before autumn. the sap gives the buds energy to open and produce new leaves to resume photosynthesis.

the time the tree comes out of dormancy is controlled by temperature. when i was working on saturday i pruned a row of three sycamores and noticed that the one tree that was in the shade of the house for most of the day had the leest amount of sap flow.

as the phloem is so thin and close to the bark there is no reason to drill past this layer.

beneath the phloem is the cambium which is where new phloem and xylem vessels are produced. xylem is basically wood. it is split up in two layers, the sapwood and the heartwood. the sapwood transports water and minerals from the roots. the heartwood is inactive and only purpose is to support the tree.

when you drill into the tree it will expose the tree to fungal spores. these spores are constantly present in the air so WILL enter the wound. the deeper you drill the more of a head start you give the fungi.

forget what ray mears says about plugging the tree will prevent infection. a wooden plug is not fungi proof as will actually become a source of food and place for the fungi to develop. trees have ways to resist fungal attack but as the plug does not (this resistance to fungal attack is called compartmentalization if your a real tree geek;)).

different species of tree have greater resistance to fungi than others but birch's defences are fairly poor and the wood rots very quickly.

if you drill deep into the tree the fungi will decay the tree from the inside out and the trunk will essentially become a tube. imagine bending a straw or cardboard tube, it will suddenly fold and collapse. the same thing happens to hollow trees.

going by this it is wise to not tap any trees near buildings, roads etc. because hollow trees are a hazard.
don't tap your tree in your garden!:rolleyes:

i hope i haven’t bored you too much and thanks for your patience reading this:)

pete

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
In my garden the snow is still 2 feet deep, I haven't seen my grass since before Christmas, the rabbits climbed over my fence and ate all my bushes and trees, all the guttering has been swept off my house by the snow and on the way down it burst me canoe. Yes my sap is rising too!:rant::rant::vio:

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
I would think a plug of warmed pine sap would seal against fungal spore attack, but would not personally bother as birch neither scarce nor long-lived in any event, fungi's gonna get 'em sometime! Also (no offence to MA if you tune in) I can honestly say that every birch-sap wine I have tasted has been pants. :p

Have cut mature birch (2'6") in mid-winter and still had significant sap flow (which looks cool when it freezes btw). Sap sugar content varies significantly with season, but some broadleaf trees can be sappy all year, just means they aren't frozen and neither is the ground. Doesn't mean it will be worth fermenting.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Uh-oh, out comes the one inch augers.

Indeed, overkill if you ask me! This picture reminds me of how ridiculous drilling a massive hole is:

TunnelTree.jpg

I often wonder how much damage so called bushcrafters make in pursuit of a hobby!

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
sorry lads but i will already be sharpening my drill bits this weekend ready for the end of the month for tree sap, birch, sycamore and walnut are first with if I can find some or one is maples that are big enough, Last year I did 10 trees and this year we are hoping to double that number, each tree only looses a t most 4 litres which does it no harm

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I kinda like the wine, but only had it a couple of times. I am not all that fussed about poking holes in trees so that I can feel in touch with nature by harvesting the sap. Maybe if this was Maine and we had sugar maples I would feel different...I DO like maple syrup:D

A group at one of Swyn's Hoots had a go at tapping some birch. All done with tiny twigs poked into horizontal slits no more than a centimetre or so wide. Tip of knife blade poked into bark at a 45 degree upward angle, and a little sharpened twig pushed in as a guide for the sap. The take was not huge, not as much as you would get drilling a great hole, but enough. As a way for everyone to sample the sap, perfectly adequate.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ok i've read why not to drill too deep however i'm a little confused, recently i've been doing some hedgelaying and a pleaching cut litterally strips away most of the trunk leaving only some bark, some sapwood and a spot of inner.
how would this be different? we're exposing the entire inner of the trunk to the open world all we did however was cut the stump so that water wouldn't sit in the gaps/cut section, otherwise they generally thrive after this.

i don't mean to be obtuse i'm just curious. ta.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
it is no different melonfish, any cutting is bad for the tree.

when trees are harshly pruned, 'topped' or pollarded the tree will fight back by sending out loads of shoots (epicormic growth if your a tree geek lol) to replace the foliage that it has lost.

people think pruning is good for a tree because of the 'healthy looking' new growth but the tree has to use up loads of its resources to replace the lost foliage. the lack of resources in the tree also means that it has less resistance to fungi.

some tree species such as willow, poplar, hazel and elm are vigorous enough to tolerate harsh treatment but others such as oak will not

trees that have been topped or pollarded often have limbs snap out because of rot near the wounds. this is not a problem in hedges or regularly cut coppices because there is no real weight or height involved so there is no real hazard therefore no problem.

hope this helps:)

pete

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
indeed cheers for sharing, i'm learning buckets on these courses but i still have far to go ;)
Can you suggest any reading material i could pick up?
thanks
pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE