The Purpose of Humans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Can you try and explain that more clearly. I'm [my figures] correct, and your figures are not correct, simples

My figures come from the world gold counsel and the silver institute. If they are wrong then they are wrong.

Your figures are estimations from a geological survey, can't both be correct. Do we listen to the experts on gold and silver or experts on geology?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As a kid growing up in Pennsylvania I used to lay out in the yard and stare at the stars. My black lab would sit there and stare at me. Every so often I would reach out and nudge her chin up so she could see the stars. The moment I took my hand away her head would drop to stare at me again.

If I want my dog to stare at the stars I just say a single word... CATS. He seems to believe that all cats are up the way!

Mac I'm not taking the mickey I genuinely liked your tale and it was a wonderfull way to frame a point.

GB

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
My figures come from the world gold counsel and the silver institute. If they are wrong then they are wrong.

Your figures are estimations from a geological survey, can't both be correct. Do we listen to the experts on gold and silver or experts on geology?
In what way are my figures anyway more estimations than yours, given that the sources for both are the same?
My figures come from a reliable source, and are from real accumulation data taken from mining records across the world
The estimations come in when dealing with huge figures, recorded by companies in the past, my figures come in part from the silver institute All in all I could post lots of links and let you do the maths. But that is boring and I’m sure you’d find a way not to bother.
The Real Silver Deficit by David Zurbuchen This explanation is simple enough for all to understand

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: that is a pure gold quote

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
elitism? no no, Ill Im saying is this thread is headed towards being locked because its now gone on to arguing religion.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well people have been worshiping gold for centuries , but sorry I skipped all the recent posts!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Its time people stop saying what should or shouldn't happen in a thread they may not approve of and jumping on people for having opinions they don't share.

Elitism anyone?

It might have escaped your notice but this is a bushcraft forum.

Your opinions on anything else are totally irrelevant in that context.

If we want theological or philosophical discussions, we will go to the relevant fora.

What you are doing is verging on trolling.:(

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It might have escaped your notice but this is a bushcraft forum.

Your opinions on anything else are totally irrelevant in that context.

If we want theological or philosophical discussions, we will go to the relevant fora.

What you are doing is verging on trolling.:(

Nah it aint 1074 posts to my name and you think i'm here to troll, :lmao:, its other chatter mate( the bit for none bushcrafty bits, yes it has a section for that :eek:). The threads turn this way because people bring attitude into it and don't like what has been posted, none of which is trolling from my part. I was curious as to other peoples thoughts on the matter. Read the first post, where is the trolling?

Philosophy is relevant to all subjects bushcraft included. By the sound of it, a few people on here would only like to talk kit etc but that aint bushcraft either, neither are knives, though knives are used in bushcraft. So does that mean all knife discussions should be on british blades? Would you tell Ray mears off for saying "take only memories leave only footprints"?

"Oi Ray, no philosophy here mate, just bushcraft, jog on" :lmao:"

Tell you what, why don't you start a "bushcrafty thread", one that has not been done to death, one that will bring in new conversations or ideas one to inspire people or give cause for debate.

Also, the threads that get this way all involve you, tadpole and one or two others ( myself included usually as OP) Same people bringing trouble to a thread where there is none. Because of this threads deviate from the OP then i get accused of trolling because others deviate it. Sad really.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
In what way are my figures anyway more estimations than yours, given that the sources for both are the same?
My figures come from a reliable source, and are from real accumulation data taken from mining records across the world
The estimations come in when dealing with huge figures, recorded by companies in the past, my figures come in part from the silver institute All in all I could post lots of links and let you do the maths. But that is boring and I’m sure you’d find a way not to bother.
The Real Silver Deficit by David Zurbuchen This explanation is simple enough for all to understand

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: that is a pure gold quote

We can post conradictary links and statements until we are blue in the face mate. So on that note i will leave no argument to your post. I have said what i have said, you have said what you have said. everyone lived happily ever after , the end.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Big deep breath please people :rolleyes:

Go and put the kettle on and come back at peace with the world :)

I suspect that the heavy crop / bad Winter thing is actually a mistaken conclusion from the common event that a really good Spring and Summer (lots of fruit) is frequently followed by a really cold hard Winter.
I know it all evens out over time but I reckon the crop is the indication of the Spring and Summer, and the cold weather in Winter just kind of incidental.

Need to find weather records to check but I'm pretty sure it holds true.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well just to give the theory its credit, it is possible to work it into an evolutionary equation that trees anticipate bad winters and therefor produce more fruit. In creatures that spawn just before they die, say mayfly and sockeye, because any energy is surplus to requirements, they are capable of putting on a spetacular final show before their demise, in the same way a person who knows they are going to die tomorrow might spend their life savings on their final day of life. If plants are sensitive enough to anticipate bad weather (and perhaps they are?) it makes sense to expend more energy than usual producing crop (offspring) if you are also anticipating your own demise in the bad weather.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
well just to give the theory its credit, it is possible to work it into an evolutionary equation that trees anticipate bad winters and therefor produce more fruit. In creatures that spawn just before they die, say mayfly and sockeye, because any energy is surplus to requirements, they are capable of putting on a spetacular final show before their demise, in the same way a person who knows they are going to die tomorrow might spend their life savings on their final day of life. If plants are sensitive enough to anticipate bad weather (and perhaps they are?) it makes sense to expend more energy than usual producing crop (offspring) if you are also anticipating your own demise in the bad weather.

I believe they do :) Cows lay down before it rains, animals know when an earthquake will hit maybe hours before it does etc. They are all in touch with the world, they "feel" it if you like. We would too if we were not so withdrawn from it all.

Maybe its just something that happens without any thought, perception or anything of that sort, just part of the pattern ensuring continuity of life, without anyone or anything being aware of either it or its purpose :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I believe they do :) Cows lay down before it rains, .
No sorry but that is just a myth. Cows are as likely to stand under a tree or a hedge, as they are to lay down.
:lmao:

I believe they do :) Cows lay down before it rains, animals know when an earthquake will hit maybe hours before it does etc. They are all in touch with the world, they "feel" it if you like. We would too if we were not so withdrawn from it all.
I refer the gentleman to an answer I gave earlier

Apocryphal anecdotal "evidence" which does not hold up to any kind of study. It is, as I said, reactive to many other factors, rather than predictive actions.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Big deep breath please people :rolleyes:

Go and put the kettle on and come back at peace with the world :)

I suspect that the heavy crop / bad Winter thing is actually a mistaken conclusion from the common event that a really good Spring and Summer (lots of fruit) is frequently followed by a really cold hard Winter.
I know it all evens out over time but I reckon the crop is the indication of the Spring and Summer, and the cold weather in Winter just kind of incidental.

Need to find weather records to check but I'm pretty sure it holds true.

cheers,
Toddy

It's a possibility Mary. I'm only going on what i was told by some old keepers. Their wisdom on such matters only comes through their own experiences. Since that "wisdom" was passed on i have also noticed the same thing.

For example, the trees shed their leaves 2 month earlier last year than the previous 4 years( where i live), there was also an abundance of fruit( we have many berry trees round our house (elder, hawthorn, blackberry, holly etc). The winter was also worse than the previous 4. The deer are going into rut 2 months early this year (from what i have heard through here and "landowning" friends) No direct experience of this though yet. I also hear that we may get snow on the ground for 3 months this winter( again not stated as fact) so it will be interesting to watch out for, wouldn't you agree? If this is the case then the leaves will turn and fall early (september) last year they fell late sept early oct and the 4 before that was november ( i observed and recorded this as i thought it odd)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No sorry but that is just a myth. Cows are as likely to stand under a tree or a hedge, as they are to lay down.
:lmao:

My back door looks out over fields full of cows ( i'll post a pic if you like) if it is a myth then the cows must believe it too.

They also form a circle around a telegraph post ( about 100 of them) and walk up one by one and touch it with their nose, then get back in the circle until they are all done then leave together.

You can tell me thats not true too. They do it often though and i have seen it dozens of times with my own eyes so it matters not what you say. In fact its a bit of a joke in our house. The cows are off to church :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I still think that that result could just be because of the good weather in Summer.
The corollary would be that if we have a bad Summer do the leaves stay longer on the trees and is Winter milder ?

I do know that I have enormous crops of fruit coming with this beautiful weather, yet the leaves on the bushes I've stripped are already turning red and tired looking. The roses have gone over really fast, the elderflowers were barely out but they were gone to seed, same with hawthorn and weld. I think it's the long spell of good weather.

cheers,
Toddy

Oi! Cthulu ?? Oh you do live dangerously :D
I have a recipe for blue string soup, I invented it when my two were at playgroup, but you need to be able to make your own spaghetti. :cool:
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
For example, the trees shed their leaves 2 month earlier last year than the previous 4 years( where i live), there was also an abundance of fruit( we have many berry trees round our house (elder, hawthorn, blackberry, holly etc). The winter was also worse than the previous 4. QUOTE]

Hi HillBill,
These abundant years are called "Mast" or "Maest" Years. Everything seems to synchronize to produce an abundance of food. There are lots of theories as to why, though none conclusive. I'm pretty much with you in that it's preperation for harder times, though the theory that it is to swamp out overpredation also has a ring of truth to it.
Cheers
Goatboy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE