Happiness outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
No matter how I am feeling, the season or the weather, being outdoors somehow makes me feel happy right down to my soul. Even if I have been anxious or unmotivated to go for some reason, forcing myself to even just walk through/stand in the countryside or the woods for 10 minutes makes everything somehow better.

That said… I don’t think it’s easy to describe to people *why* it makes things better. It is peaceful and away from people most of the time, sure, but there’s something about the sights, sounds, smells and even the feeling of the ground underfoot and the weather on the skin that makes the world seem better.

I’d be interested to hear how people here would explain this? I suspect we have different explanations, but perhaps there’s something universal which sums it up.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yes, a common feeling.
I've wondered the same thing.
Best I've come up with is that being outside, in whatever environment takes your fancy, takes you out of yourself. Instead of looking inward your senses are overwhelmed - with sights, sounds, smells, that take you out of yourself. And for that moment you become part of a larger, living, world, and all things fall into place.
That's the best I've managed.

Reactions: Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Depending on your beliefs, we (Homo sapiens) have been wandering this earth in small tribes, hunting, fishing, foraging, sitting around camp fires, for around 150,000 years; we have only lived in larger groups for the last 8,000 years (in Britain) and cramped up in large towns and cities for less than 1,500 years - it is in our DNA to crave for space and to bath in the natural world :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
There must be something fundamental in the mix. When winter meant nothing green outside at all, people brought green stuff into homes at midwinter. Typically it was holly and ivy - that might have been because these do not represent any other form of winter resource.

This is my time anyway. It starts at the ends of October and lasts till the start of Feb peaking at the Solstice. I find the dark days peaceful and the cold cleansing. A family Christmas is the highlight and involves greenery and a real tree. Normally the garden is shut down for the winter before end of October but not this year.

Like many here I am never very far from trees at any time of year but right now it does seem special for me.

Reactions: Chris

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Depending on your beliefs, we (Homo sapiens) have been wandering this earth in small tribes, hunting, fishing, foraging, sitting around camp fires, for around 150,000 years; we have only lived in larger groups for the last 8,000 years (in Britain) and cramped up in large towns and cities for less than 1,500 years - it is in our DNA to crave for space and to bath in the natural world :)
No, facts are facts, regardless of 'beliefs', superstitions, religions, idiocy or what-have-you.

At the moment we have definite evidence for Homo Sapiens stretching back to ~300ka and, arguably, for 50ka more than that. Interestingly it is from North West Africa - Morocco - rather than East Africa; since it is most likely that Homo Sapiens evolved in East Africa, even older evidence may be found closer to the point of origin.

As for the rest, you are 100% right. I think your mention of DNA is worth noting, because it seems to me that there is most probably some genetic 'hard-wiring' of it in us, rather than it being solely down to trends in thinking.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yes, sorry, I was being lazy with my distant times :)

However, I am happy that you quote the 'facts' as you see them (and as I do by the way) - but I am also happy that there are people who think differently and, whereas I do not understand how they can think like that, I respect their right to do so without calling them idiots - there really is no necessity to be that rude and provocative IMO.

But, I respect your right to speak as you will :)

Reactions: Pattree

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that the light levels have a lot to do with it; even on the dullest of days there is an effect of natural light. I don't disagree with what's been said above. If I was feeling poorly as a child my father would write me a note for school, give me a few victuals and a flask and then tell me to go and see Dr. Green........meaning go and spend a day in the woods. I don't remember it failing to put me right, and if it did it told us that something more was going on.

Reactions: GNJC

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Yes, sorry, I was being lazy with my distant times :)

However, I am happy that you quote the 'facts' as you see them (and as I do by the way) - but I am also happy that there are people who think differently and, whereas I do not understand how they can think like that, I respect their right to do so without calling them idiots - there really is no necessity to be that rude and provocative IMO.

But, I respect your right to speak as you will :)
I didn't call anyone an idiot and wouldn't do so without good reason. I did make reference to idiocy being a possible reason for not recognising a fact as being one, and it is.

Something which is known and can be demonstrably proven to be true is a fact; an objective fact will remain one regardless what anyone may feel about it. Stating that someone is wrong in not accepting a fact is a reasonable and rational thing for adults to do. There is neither rudeness nor provocation in this, unless looked for.

We agree that respect is important; in fact it seems to be essential in a liberal society that everyone has an absolute right to free belief, and this must be respected without any caveat. However, the need for absolute respect for the right to belief does not extend to respecting what is believed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE