Advice on possible locations for a long distance Canoe trip (Already posted on Song of the Paddle)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
How do all

I realize long distance and beginner don't pair easily, but I've recently watch a lot of vides by Jim Baird of the Adventure Co (
) and would love to emulate this kind of long distance, wilderness Travel. Hoping to plan this in for 2026, so plenty of time to organize and build up some experience. The journeys I've watched Jim complete so far are mostly above my skill level, but there seems to be a lot of less challenging options or portages available.

All hypothetical at this point so location and ease of access is no issue, although the Yukon or another area of Canada or Alaska holds particular appeal. I also realize that camping in near artic conditions is a whole other kettle of fish to UK camping, but I do have some winter camping experience and plan on doing more in the intervening years. Additionally, if the trip can be accessed by float plane, this would be an additional pleasure.

Any advice, especially on Canadian or Alaskan trips, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

LTDansLegs

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A laudable plan :) In my opinion, a long-distance trip of the type you're contemplating is best done with an organised group. I know it will cost more, but you'll get more out of it. Paul Kirtley runs Canadian French River trips and the like and our own Wayne runs Finland trips.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Budget and canoe skills will dictate where youre able to venture to, What duration of expedition do you have the time to complete allowing a few days for delays due to weather. Most float planes are not instrument rated so can't fly in poor visibility and at night. Those that are will be priced accordingly. The costs rise dramatically as the plane gets smaller.

I rather enjoyed the Bloodvein Manitoba. Nice pool and drop river some short sections of rapids that can be portaged.

The South Nahanni was a real fun trip. Great wildlife, Virginia Falls, deep canyons and plenty of bouncy to keep the interest and excitement going.

If you fancy a different bouncy then my choice would be the Mountain River.

Above the tree line I would suggest the Coppermine or Burnside.

My bucket list river is the Seal River. Properly remote with paddling interest and wildlife including Narwhal.

If you are not looking for proper remote or your on a budget the French River has plenty of outfitters.

I quite fancy paddling the Green river in the US. I havent paddled in Alaska my visits where before i got into open canoe adventures.

Reactions: LtDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
A laudable plan :) In my opinion, a long-distance trip of the type you're contemplating is best done with an organised group. I know it will cost more, but you'll get more out of it. Paul Kirtley runs Canadian French River trips and the like and our own Wayne runs Finland trips.
Hi Broch
Certainly for a shorter trip I would consider going as part of a organized group, but I feel something can be said for solo traveling as well. As I said, all hypothetical at the minute, and I may end up going with a couple of mates, just wanting some information first.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Budget and canoe skills will dictate where youre able to venture to, What duration of expedition do you have the time to complete allowing a few days for delays due to weather. Most float planes are not instrument rated so can't fly in poor visibility and at night. Those that are will be priced accordingly. The costs rise dramatically as the plane gets smaller.

I rather enjoyed the Bloodvein Manitoba. Nice pool and drop river some short sections of rapids that can be portaged.

The South Nahanni was a real fun trip. Great wildlife, Virginia Falls, deep canyons and plenty of bouncy to keep the interest and excitement going.

If you fancy a different bouncy then my choice would be the Mountain River.

Above the tree line I would suggest the Coppermine or Burnside.

My bucket list river is the Seal River. Properly remote with paddling interest and wildlife including Narwhal.

If you are not looking for proper remote or your on a budget the French River has plenty of outfitters.

I quite fancy paddling the Green river in the US. I havent paddled in Alaska my visits where before i got into open canoe adventures.
Sounding like there plenty of options available, hoping to complete about a 10 to 12 day trip during or just before the summer of 2026. Do you have a website for your trips?
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

bearbait

You may be interested in the Yukon River Quest (https://www.yukonriverquest.com/). I watched the start of it (not being sufficiently competent to enter) when I was there a few years ago. I bumped into a couple of Brits who'd flown out there and had chartered and hired various bits of gear to compete.

Watch out for the bugs, far north at that time of year (at least in some areas). I had one of these (https://bugshirt.com/en-gb) up in the Yukon Territory in June and, sitting by the camp fire for supper, I'd have to peel the mozzie face net off for a couple of seconds just to get a spoon or fork's worth of food in my mouth. Then back on. Repeat as necessary.

You'll also need some super turbo-charged insect repugnant for the hands and wrists (and elsewhere). Buy it there.

But have a great trip!

Reactions: LtDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
You may be interested in the Yukon River Quest (https://www.yukonriverquest.com/). I watched the start of it (not being sufficiently competent to enter) when I was there a few years ago. I bumped into a couple of Brits who'd flown out there and had chartered and hired various bits of gear to compete.

Watch out for the bugs, far north at that time of year (at least in some areas). I had one of these (https://bugshirt.com/en-gb) up in the Yukon Territory in June and, sitting by the camp fire for supper, I'd have to peel the mozzie face net off for a couple of seconds just to get a spoon or fork's worth of food in my mouth. Then back on. Repeat as necessary.

You'll also need some super turbo-charged insect repugnant for the hands and wrists (and elsewhere). Buy it there.

But have a great trip!
Much appreciated BearBait, whilst this looks a little beyond me at my present experience, its great to see so many people completing trips like this. Also useful to know about the possibility of being eaten alive by mozzies, will definitely be packing something heavy duty when I'm there.
Is there a trip report of your time in the Yukon, id love to hear more?
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

bearbait

Is there a trip report of your time in the Yukon, id love to hear more?
No, 'fraid not.

I spent several months each year over several years travelling in N. America. I kept journals - which I found were often more evocative than photos when reviewing later - along with taking the requisite photos. I kept a 4x4 in storage over there (Vancouver) filled with camping gear so I could just fly in, victual-up and take off N, S, E, W(-ish!) according to the plans for that year. I consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity, and been able, to do this.

You may be able to get some expedition ideas from The Bushcraft USA forum (https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/). Also I seem to recall that, certainly in the YT, there were organisations that led wilderness canoe trips.

Good luck with your travels. There's lots of stuff to be done...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE