Terrariums - The outdoors indoors.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... haven't got that far :) - still trying to construct a realistic rockface in my tall cylinder! I was planning on using what I've got but that may not give enough variation.

Some of the smaller stuff here may be suitable:

Reactions: TeeDee

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Start seeing suitable things all over - mini terrarium?

8-F23-D723-E13-E-4798-A42-B-BBCEC15-E1819.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Anyone have an insight into where to source the plants that are not Moss for these little creations??

Any heads upon the more variegated and more colourful ones would be appreciated - tia
Old stone walls and stone retaining walls on the sides of roads next to woodlands.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
OK, results of experiment 1 - my little pump will lift a nice flow of water the 500mm that I need running off a 5v USB charger PSU.

Now a) decide if I'm drilling the jar, b) start building the 'rock face' outside the jar with the aim of sliding it in when finished :)

I think I have a plan!

Any update on this Broch ?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ill find out that bottle of mine.

I saw one of those 70s round bottle garden ones in the local antique place. 50 quid.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Any update on this Broch ?

Not as much as I’d hoped I’m afraid. Another project has taken priority this week so there’s been little progress.

However, here’s where I’m at.

As you can see, I've gone for a slate rock face for this first one. I’ve made a ‘sump’ that will hold the pump and a sump lid. I’ve made a first stab at a back wall that I think will need to be ‘rougher’ to make the water more lively. For this initial trial I’ve decided to run the wire behind the wall and out of the top. I’m turning a fitting lid that will house a solar powered LED light. Obviously, you'll have to imagine it full of moss, small plants, and water :)

Unfortunately now I can’t make progress till week beginning 20th :(

terrarium 1 - 2023-02-11 11.24.31.jpg

terrarium 2 - 2023-02-11 11.24.45.jpg

terrarium - 3 - 2023-02-11 11.29.08.jpg

• Love

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone looked at fish tanks? Some amazing shaped ones and you could seal the opening with a custom cut glass panel. There's a glass and window company near us that will cut normal and toughened glass to size for really cheap prices. From a source like that you could go old school victorian on a custom one.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I grew up making cacti mini gardens. Not terrarium but trying to make an aesthetic display is the same. It's kind of about trying to emulate a natural scene but exaggerated.

Good luck with your endeavours. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not as much as I’d hoped I’m afraid. Another project has taken priority this week so there’s been little progress.

However, here’s where I’m at.

As you can see, I've gone for a slate rock face for this first one. I’ve made a ‘sump’ that will hold the pump and a sump lid. I’ve made a first stab at a back wall that I think will need to be ‘rougher’ to make the water more lively. For this initial trial I’ve decided to run the wire behind the wall and out of the top. I’m turning a fitting lid that will house a solar powered LED light. Obviously, you'll have to imagine it full of moss, small plants, and water :)

Unfortunately now I can’t make progress till week beginning 20th :(

View attachment 78422

View attachment 78423

View attachment 78424

I CAN imagine it !! and I think it will look wonderful!!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I haven't forgotten this - and it's not dead but ...

I made three steps forward and two back :( I put the wall together, got a reasonable mossy and fern like scene, then decided I had better test the water flow before installing it in the jar. The water hit the first protrusion and got diverted behind it, then, by the time it got to the second, it was running behind the wall :(

So, lesson learnt, The wall has to be constructed with managed water channels for this to work - it's been a worthwhile exercise, and I will persevere, but it's definitely a bit frustrating starting with the format I've chosen!

Anyone else made better progress?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
yes i have one, my wife got it or my birthday last year - the plants have added about an inch to their size since then - had a couple of false starts where things went mushy and mouldy but i had added to much water initially. now its settled in its nice, i plan to add some woodlice etc in due course

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
And there I was trying to work out how I could keep wildlife out of it - every bit of moss I picked came with crawling beasties :)

There are quite a few mentions of ensuring Springtails (?) are within the biome - this is i believe to aid the balance by er,... Springtail magic...

Last edited:
  • Haha

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
There are quiet a few mentions of ensuring Springtails (?) are within the biome - this is i believe to aid the balance by er,... Springtail magic...
They'll breakdown bigger pieces of detritus into smaller pieces that the microorganisms in there can breakdown further more easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE