Terrariums - The outdoors indoors.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The rougher sort of antiques shops may have something suitable.

(I may have something...Ill have a sort out...)

But you can make them out of flat glass like the Victorians used to.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, let the game start! :)

I had a chance to browse around The Range yesterday and they had plenty of glass at sensible prices - but still nothing seemed quite what I wanted. Then it dawned on me that, unless I'm prepared to pay a lot of money, the 'perfect' glassware didn't exist and maybe the art of this is to turn whatever's to hand into something worthwhile :)

I bought these two pieces. The tall one, 500mm x 100mm was £6.99 and the shorter on, 300mm x 200mm was £10.99. My grandson (10) persuaded me to get the tall one; he reckoned a tall thin trickling waterfall would be cool!

Now, I have to sort out the pumps - I've got a few left over from a project years ago.

Glassware - 2023-01-30 10.36.21.jpg

Reactions: dwardo and TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Trickling down I think. The problem I see with any 'drop' is that splashing will go up the glass - that may be OK though.

I'm going to experiment with stuff outside the glass first though.

According to a bryophyte expert that visited us in October we have 48 species of moss around the house - so not short of that material anyway :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I picked up a small cloche from Homebase as was in a sale - maybe worth looking in your area - £10 for I think 14 " x 8 " or sim

Question on two things really - Pumps , what is the smallest pump one can easily find? and I assume they are all mains powered?? I was trying to avoid the aesthetics of hiding the lead coming out the top and I don't fancy the drilling.

I did find this USB powered one maybe more suitable for the office workspace. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Submersibl...92&sprefix=aquarium+pump+small,aps,132&sr=8-7

What size/power would be suitable for the thing we are looking to do? ie create a small trickle/waterfall effect?

I also have questions over atomizers if anyone has any knowledge.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've been looking at what I have 'in stock' - they are all a bit more powerful than I want - 12v jobs. The things we are concerned about are voltage (DC for safety), flow rate, and head. One pump I was going to use was fine for flow rate but only quoted a 300mm head so wouldn't reach the top of my 500mm jar. I think we only need about 500ml per minute at most but maybe could throttle a higher flow rate one electrically or physically.

I've sent off for a cheap, small, submersible one (arriving tomorrow); I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Good thinking about the induction pump @Stew - I'm going to look into that. Should be feasible to drive a pump with magnets through thin glass! :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It’s a shame there’s not (I’m assuming) an induction powered pump.

I was thinking the same.
I'm thinking about trying to include one two many elements but Its a exercise in creativity i guess.

I like the idea of a Pump to create waterfalls.

I like the idea of an atomizer to create pools of mist

And Unfortunately I also like the idea of having the whole thing revolve on one of those little USB powered turntables.

The best thing I can think of currently is center drill ( after an internal recce ) to allow a conduit to to take the power feed up for the pump and atomiser to a main 'pump station' that remains stationary whilst the rest of the terrarium revolves around it.

This should then allow the terrarium ( in a cloche ) revolve 360 Deg with a pump and atomiser doing there thing.

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've been looking at what I have 'in stock' - they are all a bit more powerful than I want - 12v jobs. The things we are concerned about are voltage (DC for safety), flow rate, and head. One pump I was going to use was fine for flow rate but only quoted a 300mm head so wouldn't reach the top of my 500mm jar. I think we only need about 500ml per minute at most but maybe could throttle a higher flow rate one electrically or physically.

I've sent off for a cheap, small, submersible one (arriving tomorrow); I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Good thinking about the induction pump @Stew - I'm going to look into that. Should be feasible to drive a pump with magnets through thin glass! :)
12v whale pump on the way?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Can you supply a link for the cheap one you've ordered please ? @Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, results of experiment 1 - my little pump will lift a nice flow of water the 500mm that I need running off a 5v USB charger PSU.

Now a) decide if I'm drilling the jar, b) start building the 'rock face' outside the jar with the aim of sliding it in when finished :)

I think I have a plan!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
OK, results of experiment 1 - my little pump will lift a nice flow of water the 500mm that I need running off a 5v USB charger PSU.

Now a) decide if I'm drilling the jar, b) start building the 'rock face' outside the jar with the aim of sliding it in when finished :)

I think I have a plan!

Idea - could you 'build' the rockface ( if using the rocks & expanding foam method ) inside the jar ( so you get the aesthetic correct ) but before doing so place a sheet of cling wrap against the inside of the glass? So its between the glass and the expanding foam.

This should then allow you to slide out the main bulk of the shape before adding extras or carving out conduits in the back of the firm expanding foam?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have found a container that should be perfect and possibly one that’ll be acceptable in the house (maybe!)

6085-F37-D-AD52-441-E-8900-196606-CC324-F.jpg

C0663-FA8-2-BAE-485-D-900-C-BF47-FA5-CC68-A.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone have an insight into where to source the plants that are not Moss for these little creations??

Any heads upon the more variegated and more colourful ones would be appreciated - tia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE