Terrariums - The outdoors indoors.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've been recently inspired by Terrariums - the notion of bringing a little sliver of what we seek and look for in the outdoor world may provide some calming influence to those of us that tend to drive a desk for a living.

I was also interested to see that one can create Fungi based pieces. So I thought I would share.

Anyone played with Terrariums?

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Why do I suddenly have a desire to go find an old wide-mouthed glass jar? :)

I used to make miniature gardens with moss and rocks and stuff when I was a kid - nothing as good as that though. I still have a book with 'how to' in it somewhere!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Why do I suddenly have a desire to go find an old wide-mouthed glass jar? :)

I used to make miniature gardens with moss and rocks and stuff when I was a kid - nothing as good as that though. I still have a book with 'how to' in it somewhere!

They would be kinda cool sat there on the desk , wouldn't they?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
BF2-E67-C5-81-D8-485-C-9044-6-E97968-ECF9-E.jpg
I have this sat in a cupboard (just took the pic now)

Problem is there’s nowhere that would be acceptable at home and my office window I’ve put one way film on the window so probably blocks too much sunlight.

• Love
Reactions: TeeDee

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Problem is there’s nowhere that would be acceptable at home and my office window I’ve put one way film on the window so probably blocks too much sunlight.
Your office window would probably be an ideal spot for it Stew because, from what I little know about terrariums, you don't want them in direct sunlight as it can scorch the plants.

So long as it's getting light it ought to be fine and that bottle would look really cool with a little world growing in it :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Your office window would probably be an ideal spot for it Stew because, from what I little know about terrariums, you don't want them in direct sunlight as it can scorch the plants.

So long as it's getting light it ought to be fine and that bottle would look really cool with a little world growing in it :)

I might give it a try then!

I also have this damaged still that I thought could be an interesting ant farm. :D

53052424-922-C-49-F4-AF3-F-E82909-FB1-B9-C.jpg

Reactions: Broch

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
One of the original rides at Disneyland features a boat ride from a whales mouth through a Wind in the Willows tour of miniature homes on the bank.
My LAST visit, in full dress USCG uniform saw a 18 something attendant INSIST on grabbing my elbow to assist in boarding, spooking me and sending her into the dangerous waters of One meter depth.
I always thought an estate with such a miniature waterway would be beyond cool

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
OK, I've searched, and I realise I disposed of some of my old lab glass :(

The best contender I have is otherwise gainfully employed :)

View attachment 77968

However, I think one of these two should be suitable :) - mug for scale!

View attachment 77969

I think the second are better options as the light defracts in the first and surely a large part of this is the ability to clearly see the plant life.

That being said - the large carboy on the left will require some mighty long tweezers and hand eye skill to make the most of.

I have managed to score myself a 20" x 10 " display cloche for the same purposes.

Glad this thread is generating some interest and traction - maybe we need a show and tell of our final productions.

Reactions: bobnewboy and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE