tartlet cases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Klenchblaize said:
Has anyone noticed that many of the places Ray has chosen to source his wild food entails being granted “special permission” to harvest such? A tad worrying if this means it is not as freely available as once supposed.

I would imagine that is because he is on private land to film, certainly in "bushcraft" and i assume in this series in Scotland for sure he is on a private estate. I would guess that these like sentences are put in to deter people from tramping all over the place helping themselves on privately owned land, he does the same with lighting fires.

It'll be the bushcraft equivilant of "this is dangerous, don't try this at home" or "now when you are using scissors please make sure you have a responsible adult to supervise you". :D

B

brasst

i'm a bit perplexed saying as how the series is allegedly about how the food of our stoneage ancestors was gathered, processed and cooked. yet the rolling pin,clingfilm and tartlet cases had not been thought of let alone used . if people want to be pedantic watch and listen to Mr Mears programmes on wild food and you will find that on quite a few occasions he contradicts himself.

if he takes umbrage over this then he should watch the shows prior to broadcast to eliminate continuity errors which portrays him in an unfavourable light.

I only watch the programmes i dont write or edit them. i watch to learn and be informed but when confronted with contradictions from the hosts own mouth its a bit hard to take seriously :confused:

B

brasst

that as maybe but the shows meant to be serious educational. its not a one off, other episodes have the same faults. i enjoy watching him and his shows but he's the one on national telly being contradictory if he wants to save face then he should take a closer look at the scripts and editing. end of the day he wants to come across as a professional so then he should endeavour to keep a grip on the end product. people remember the person in front of the camera, not the film company or the broadcasting company.

i hope he reads this and gets some idea of what a viewer sees and takes it on board as constructive criticism and NOT character assasination

B

brasst

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

so stoneage man leapt to steel age and regressed after destroying all evidence??? :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
risby said:
http://www.edibleplants.com/books/berrypicker.htm

$14.95 at the moment, anyone know a UK supplier?

Actually, I believe I recall him saying that similar devices are still in use by various aboriginal peoples so I reckon crafting a berry picker ought to become the next standard bushcraft project after spoon making.
When my father was a kid he went out to gather blaeberries where he lived. The family made wide toothed combs, a trick they learned from travellers, and used them to collect the fruit. The old ways are the best, or so my wife tells me! :)

ferrol

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2006
in my head
er didn't Ray actually say he was going to mix present day cooking with the old. :confused:

So his Tarlets are actually what he said he'd do. So no contradictions as far I as see.

Whats that expression?

"You can please some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time..."

ferrol

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Stickie said:

What is your point here Stickie?

"People who heeded the prophets sent by God came to have faith in Him, the One and Only, while others worshipped idols. Believers with faith in God abided by the moral values commanded by Him, while others engaged in superstitious practices and deviant rites. At all times in history, just as today, there have been people who believed in the existence of God, as well as pagans and atheists."

Seems like standard anti-rational, anti-science bullcrap to me.

Klenchblaize said:
Has anyone noticed that many of the places Ray has chosen to source his wild food entails being granted “special permission” to harvest such? A tad worrying if this means it is not as freely available as once supposed.

i suggest you look at the Countryside and Wildlife Act 1981 (CWA) and the Countrysides and Rights of Way act 2000 (CROW)

no its not freely avalible

pretty much assume if your not on land where you have Permission to forage then you are probably breaking some law doing so

its one of the biggest Bugs of these types of program the DONT make it clear you cant just go out an pick what you like It is not a right (not anymore)
RM is the only one who hints at it by saying WE have special permission to do this etc.

Its also an offence in CROW to
engages in any activity which is organised or undertaken (whether by him or another) for any commercial purpose.

which means if your on a paying bushcraft course and they take you out on to CROW land even just to point at plants for ID training etc not only are they breaking the law but all those on the course are as well even if they dont know (unless you get permission )

after all the Right to Roam crap and more public acess stuff it looks to me if we got a little bit more acess :rolleyes: but a whole lot more restrictions for what we already had rights to
Large parts of the New Forest are CROW land Large parts arnt :eek: and its all mixed up

:aargh4:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay..........I *know* I've been posting too :eek: but folks, we have a, "No Religion, No Politics", guideline.

Tartlet cases, you say? :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy......who has just decanted the Sloe whisky and the Sloe whisky. I don't get the appeal of the exhausted fruits though, :yuck: so I've fed the compost heaps :D But the gin's another goodie and the whisky is surprisingly mellow :cool:

M

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
risby said:
http://www.edibleplants.com/books/berrypicker.htm

$14.95 at the moment, anyone know a UK supplier?

Actually, I believe I recall him saying that similar devices are still in use by various aboriginal peoples so I reckon crafting a berry picker ought to become the next standard bushcraft project after spoon making.

You may not believe this, but Ray has it on his website for about $21.00(£10.50)...
http://www.raymears.com/shop_item_desc.cfm?id=549&itemType=Accessories

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just looked back in on this thread and had to give ArkAngel a rep point or two - a great post in #11.

I really like anything that makes people try new things and feel that incorporating one or two wild foods with some "modern" foods and a bit of fireplace cookery makes the whole thing much more accesible and inviting. BB and I have really got into the whole fireplace cookery thing - every thing from lemon chicken to flapjacks. Often with some berries, ramsoms or game. If it had to be "pure" wild food though I suspect I wouldn't bother as it would all get "too hard" and my experiences would be the poorer for it.

Bring on the tartlets say I and thank you Ray and Gordon for introducing me to some new ideas, techniques and foods!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE