Home first aid kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Our current first aid kit needs replacing as it's well past its best before date. I know I need to replace the sterile dressings but is there a life span on things such as non-sterile bandages?

Can anyone recommend a good quality multi-purpose kit to keep at home? And does anyone know if you can get long life products such as sterile dressings as most seem to only have a life of two years.

lachat

Mar 6, 2024
Europe
I keep a offshore first aid kit at home. You can pick them up from £2 from boat jumbles in date contents but, no good for coded vessels. Just be carefull as some of the medications are not suitable for first aiders except if at sea or away from medical assitance.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I find a lot of ready to go kits are lacking in the quality of the items provided. The cheaper ones also add a load of fillers with very little real world use.

Check out reflex medical, they used to be on here and at one stage offered a FM discount. Bought from them a few times and they are decent.

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped to find a suitable kit to buy so I don't miss out on something useful. However, I can't seem to find anything that has the basics of what I need so will probably order some refill items. I have a few more questions....

1) As I use chainsaws etc I tend to like a couple of basic large trauma dressings. Does anyone know if some are better than others?

2) I need a replacement eye wash kit but I'm surprised the sealed saline vials only last two years. Is this the manufacturers being over cautious or is there any reason for such a short life?

3) I also want some cooling burn dressings - are they all the same or are any better than the rest?

4) What about some of the dressings that have a modern tourniquet? I'm not trained to use them but are any of the modern dressings ok to use or would it be worth having something in case it's needed and advice on safe use is to hand?

Reactions: Phil_R and Van-Wild

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you haven't done one recently, I suggest you do a first aid course. The last one I did had the Forestry extension that covers trauma, use of tourniquet, Israeli bandage, and Celox. I have all those in my 'working in the wood' kit. I have other lighter kits for general use.

The two companies I have used for supplies recently are:

https://www.firstaid.co.uk/first-aid-kits-supplies/

I don't fully understand the whole sterile dressings thing. If it's sterile and sealed why does it go out of date? For my personal FAK I ignore it (within reason).

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
In not up to date with my first aid training but I take a very pragmatic view of first aid. (So what if I might have bruised Resussiannie’s ribs - as long as she’s getting air!)

If the patient (probably me) can get into hospital within an hour or so I don’t mess with cleaning up wounds. Microbes can be nasty but they don’t reproduce THAT quickly. The hospital can deal with that problem. So I’m not too worried about time expired dressings that don’t include a liquid or gel. Medications are different, they do expire but there is a lot of leeway built in. That said I’ve swallowed eight year over date pain killers when they were all that was available to keep me walking.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped to find a suitable kit to buy so I don't miss out on something useful. However, I can't seem to find anything that has the basics of what I need so will probably order some refill items. I have a few more questions....

1) As I use chainsaws etc I tend to like a couple of basic large trauma dressings. Does anyone know if some are better than others?

2) I need a replacement eye wash kit but I'm surprised the sealed saline vials only last two years. Is this the manufacturers being over cautious or is there any reason for such a short life?

3) I also want some cooling burn dressings - are they all the same or are any better than the rest?

4) What about some of the dressings that have a modern tourniquet? I'm not trained to use them but are any of the modern dressings ok to use or would it be worth having something in case it's needed and advice on safe use is to hand?

Answers FWIW....

1) - anything that stops a massive loss of blood is good at the time! But I recommend H&H Compression Bandage. They pack nice and small and can opened and used one-handed (proven through real life observational experience!). You can carry two on your person with ease.

2) - I've no idea. If the hermetic seal is unbroken, and the vial is undamaged, it will probably be OK. Who knows?

3) - Again, whatever brand you have to hand is the best one! If you're going to purchase, look for the larger type, which can always be cut down/overlapped. Small ones are no use for large surface area burns.

4) - I'm not sure what your question is here, but.... a torniquest is a specific use item for traumatic arterial bleed. Minutes matter in this situation. If you don't know how to use a torniquet, don't use it. You'll cause more damage than good, and it's more than likely you wouldn't apply it properly and the cas will bleed out anyway, only more slowly and more painfully. I do highly recommend getting some training in the use of torniquets, especially if you're using chainsaws! A focus on how to apply one to yourself, one handed suspended up a tree may be of use?

As with all med kit, having it is better than not having it. And remember...

'two is one, and one is none'

Make sure you can access your med kit one handed, open it one handed, and use everything one handed, in the dark, under stress...... I carry my med in a small bum bag/fanny pack around my waist. Everything is packed in order of severity of injury, with latex gloves the first thing I get out.

Last edited:

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Did a refresher course last month for first aid that covered forestry and lone working and also ticks (lymes)
Will definitely be doing it again once it runs out and money well spent for the knowledge you get from it.

Showed us the correct way of storing a tourniquet ready for it to be used in a timely manner andhow to apply, Plugging holes, chest seals, celox, defib and cpr to name a few

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Did a refresher course last month for first aid that covered forestry and lone working and also ticks (lymes)
Will definitely be doing it again once it runs out and money well spent for the knowledge you get from it.

Showed us the correct way of storing a tourniquet ready for it to be used in a timely manner andhow to apply, Plugging holes, chest seals, celox, defib and cpr to name a few
Whar course may I ask? I'm looking to refresh myself.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Have just checked the certificate and it's

FAA level 3 award in Forestry first aid (RQF)
Qualification code 603/3404/6

And also

FAA level 3 Award In Emergency First Aid at work (RQF)
Qualification code 603/2080/1

Was a 2 day course and was awarded both that are valid for 3 years, via Cardiff first aid Centre if that helps :thumbsup:

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Our current first aid kit needs replacing as it's well past its best before date. I know I need to replace the sterile dressings but is there a life span on things such as non-sterile bandages?

Can anyone recommend a good quality multi-purpose kit to keep at home? And does anyone know if you can get long life products such as sterile dressings as most seem to only have a life of two years.

Was told by the paramedic that if it's a hospital job then the biggest concern would be stop the bleed- tourniquets don't need to be sterile/in date just readily accessible and prepared and stored for use and the time written on them if applied and a cross on the forehead to signal this. Bandages again the same applies, if going to hospital then stem the flow/plug the hole and they will deal with any irrigation of debris and give antibiotics. I have a supply of different sized Israeli bandages but there's a clotting compound in them so best stick to the expiry date on them, same as celox.

I shopped on medisave as a few of us bought supplies and I'm sure one of them used a blue light discount.

And what3words is the best thing to use to give a precise location if you ever need help

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
4) - I'm not sure what your question is here, but.... a torniquest is a specific use item for traumatic arterial bleed. Minutes matter in this situation. If you don't know how to use a torniquet, don't use it. You'll cause more damage than good, and it's more than likely you wouldn't apply it properly and the cas will bleed out anyway, only more slowly and more painfully. I do highly recommend getting some training in the use of torniquets, especially if you're using chainsaws! A focus on how to apply one to yourself, one handed suspended up a tree may be of use?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. A course or courses are on the list to do but other things get in the way so realistically not for some time. Currently got a bad back so that's put a halt to most things and still helping my mum out a fair bit.

With regard to the tourniquet that's why I've never had one as I'm not trained how to use one and know you can do more damage than help. However, a kit wouldn't just be for me, we occasionally get people in distress calling or we could phone a friend if necessary. It's becoming increasingly obvious we couldnt rely on an ambulance or other help so planning ahead.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
If your using a chainsaw I would highly recommend getting some sort of idea on how they are used correctly and picking some up. Unfortunately the prices have risen in the last 2 years on this kind of equipment.
Not to put a damper on the mood but by the time help has been called and someone comes it could be the difference between life and loss.

I have a small ifak that stays within reach of both hands, usually scout carry on a belt or in a hip bag/backpack whenever I'm using sharps or out and about.

It's also worth practising with them- how to apply with 1 hand, and other scenarios so it becomes familiar

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
No affiliation but cadet direct have TQ’s on sale right now, £13 or so.

Not as good for self rescue but the Tourni Key is a reasonable alternative at under a tenner too

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If your using a chainsaw I would highly recommend getting some sort of idea on how they are used correctly and picking some up. Unfortunately the prices have risen in the last 2 years on this kind of equipment.
Not to put a damper on the mood but by the time help has been called and someone comes it could be the difference between life and loss.

It was something i thought a lot about before I started using a chainsaw but having used one for 10 years it's not something I overly worry about. I don't want to sound complacent but I try my best to not do anything too risky.

I also have to contend with the fact there's often no phone reception and I'm liable to pass out as the sight of a bad wound!

Reactions: Decacraft

ranger85

Dec 28, 2011
north wales
This is my home kit
255PCs Pro First Aid Kit Emergency Survival Trauma Kit Medical Kit with Labeled Compartments for Boat Car Truck Camping Hiking Travel & Backpacking https://amzn.eu/d/4T5981S
There's room to add in extras to make it suitable to your personal needs too, family of 6 with 4 kids and it's absolutely perfect for us!
I

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I had a similar kit come up my amazon suggestions. When I looked through the contents there was a fair bit of stuff I already have (I've got several emergency blankets and never used one). I also would have fewer but larger dressings for a home kit, a couple of large burn dressings rather than several smaller sachets of gel. I would also want an eye bath as i often get something in my eye.

Useful to look through to see what I might be missing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE