Survival tin --- what should a good one contain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Re-Navigation

You can take an accurate bearing from a known position in poor visibilty. Even in a blizzard and when it's dark. The trick with navigation is always navigate even in good conditons so if the visibilty deteriates you know where you are.

I have been night orienteering, pitch black unkown terrain/woods, after work. 4-5km with lots of contour navigation.

Nick

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
ive got an opinel 3" i think in my tin thats usefull.

My Mora fits in my mess tin kits,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the mess tins are from an Army No2 stove and measure 8.5"X8.5"X5" do they still count?

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
The best knife is the one youve got but it would be a pain carrying tins and big knife in ya pocket!!! carry knife on ya belt pots in rucksack.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
This is my Survival tin Kit

5001-3.jpg

It covers Fire,Water,Food,Signaling,Shel ter,Navigation and Medical
FIRE, 1 Flint Rod,1 Pack of Nato Matches with striker,1 Book of Matches,1 Maginifing Glass,1 Candle,1 Tampon,1 Bag of Maya Sticks and a Bag of Magnesium shavings
WATER, 1 Condom,1 Strip of 10 puri-tabs and a Vial of Potassium Permanganate
FOOD, 1 Fishing Kit,1 Roll of Snare Wire and 3 Snares
SIGNALLING, 1 Whistle,1 Signal Mirror
SHELTER, 1 Nato Wiresaw,1 Roll of Para-Cord and some small Nails and staples
NAVIGATION, 1 Button Compass, 1 Floating Compass
MEDICAL, 1 Diaoralyte Sachet,5 Plasters and 2 Alcohol wet wipes
Misalanious items. Sewing kit,Small Gerber knife,Tin opener,UK coinage,Waterproof Bag,Pencil and Paper,Razor Blades,Tin with Handle and Tape,And 1 Saw blade sharpened.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
one thing i like to carry with me in my tin, is a few of those little 'smoke bombs'. you know the ones used to check blocked chimneys. take some black ones and its surprising just how effective they are.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Would anyone be willing to put their survival tin to the ultimate test and try and survive with theirs and very limited or no other kit?

H

He' s left the building

I have, but to be fair I was wearing suitable clothing and carrying a water bottle and a knife.

A real test would be to be taken into a situation at random with no warning. Take the current bad weather in UK for example, how many people could potentially be stuck on a snow-bound road without warning and within a few miles of their house? Nearly everyone I guess.

How many would rely on a survival tin vs how many would rather have wellies and a parka?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
done that a few times and its something worth experiencing as it encourages the supreme scrounging/foraging gene to kick it. mind you its easier nowadays with all the junk out there.

if you're really harcore then you just go out with a knife or less and make your own blade then the tin becomes a luxury item.

even just doing it for a day is an experience as it brings home what you rely on and what you can get away without.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I think actually living from your tin for afew days is the only way you can know what you need to put in it,and take out of it, different methods of firelighting is a prime example of this.

JohnH

Dec 12, 2008
Portsmouth
PLAN.

Protection
Navigation

Protection from the current situation and the elements.

Therefore you will need some means of building an improvised shelter
Any of:
1. wire Saw
2. Knife
3. Paracord / string / fishing wire
4. Leatherman / Gerber / Multitool

Location - Signal your own location

1. Means of making fire; just a firesteel or even a firelighting kit. - knowledge of signal fire as well as Ground to Air (GTA) symbols.
2. Reflective / White / Red tape
3. Whistle
4. Reflective surface / heliograph
5. Chinograph pencil (writes on almost anything)

Aquisition of Water and Food

1. Fishing line (night line)
2. Snare wire (and the knowledge to build snares)
3. Condom (water carrier if placed in hardened container)
4. Filtration straw (knowledge of how to make a filter bag)
5. Plastic bags (to collect water, food, anything)

Navigation

1. Plastic Button Compass (preferably brass)
2. Needles (to make improvised compass)

You can make a basic survival tin out of the list above.

Make life easier by adding:

1. Cotton Wool balls - half covered in vaseline. (burns longer) .As much as you can get in.
2. Needle and thread (repair clothing)
3. Waterproof paper
4. OXO cube - after days on just water it feels like a full meal!
5. Fishing lure
6. Strips of rubber inner tube (will light in any weather)

That's pretty much my kit (although I'm sure I've forgotten something). It all packs down in to an old tobacco tin, is taped up, and is easily accessible in my kit.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'd say good additions to any survival tin would be an emergency survival blanket and some salt tablets.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tell that to pilots who were shot down in Vietnam and would have died without them!

That was hot humid jungle conditions and I think you will find that the practise of using salt tablets has all but died out these last 30 years. Taking salt in this way can lead to all sorts of problems with your body including Hypernatremia, not worth the hassle; maybe pack some Oral Rehydration Salts but not salt tablets.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
what are they good for anyway? :confused:

When your in a survival situation and sweating alot your body is constantly losing salt which can lead to muscle cramps, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. So replacing this is very important, but you'd need to have an adequate supply of water and be careful of your intake, i'm sure if they were issued there'd be guidelines on their use.

But some long distance runners still use salt tablets to avoid the above problems so I guess the practice hasn't died out completely.

H

He' s left the building

Runners these days are using nuun tablets, I'm not sure if you can even buy salt tablets? Apart from salt-licks for cattle! Has anyone ever seen any? I used to be an EMT and I've never seen/used them or been trained in their use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE