Survival tin --- what should a good one contain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Runners these days are using nuun tablets, I'm not sure if you can even buy salt tablets? Apart from salt-licks for cattle! Has anyone ever seen any? I used to be an EMT and I've never seen/used them or been trained in their use.

Not sure if you can still buy them, I suppose you must be able to, but they are far too dangerous to use without medical advise, bad for your heart and renal system. There is a massive difference between a trained athlete taking extra salt (after consultation) and just packing some in a survival tin, thats just plain fool hardy.

Just stick to the rehydrate drink powders, they contain other things your body needs apart from just salt.

I've just emailed an American pal who is over here working for the USAF (some of you met him last winter) and asked him to see if they are still issued, I'll post what I find out when he gets back to me.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Before I came ashore to a different job I was a Merchant Seaman. In those days aboard British merchant ships each mess, ie seamans, Greasers etc: was issued with big brown bottles of Board of Trade salt tablets and...would you believe bottles of lime juice! (1960-early 70's) We were expected to take them in the tropics. If you keeled over from the heat the first thing the Mate would ask was "Have you taken your salt tablets?"
But I'm sure they were definitely 'off the menu' as no longer safe or perhaps necessary for issue when I came ashore in early 1974... just for info. :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
There are now three threads about survival kits, can the mods put them together into one @200 reply thread

rik_uk3, where's the latest one then?

Runners these days are using nuun tablets, I'm not sure if you can even buy salt tablets? Apart from salt-licks for cattle! Has anyone ever seen any? I used to be an EMT and I've never seen/used them or been trained in their use.

don't you have a hint of a saline solution in a drip?

you just rob a sachet or two of salt next time you're in a cafe or the works canteen. not that i would bother with salt other than as a seasoning for survival stews.

one of the things that you'll probably work out when doing a little bushcrafting with your possibles tin, is that you're better off with fewer, bigger components than you are with a myriad of the tiniest miniature bits and pieces that can be found.

so go for the tiny base plate compasses rather than button compasses. single sided stanley knife blades or big exacto blades rather than very small thin scalpel blades. freezer bags or breastmilk bags rather than condoms.

i have seen Leather "possibles pouches" that could only be unpacked on a table top after they'd been taken off the belt and that took a lot of work and practise to pack. not so much a possibles pouch, more a leather bound survival kit i reckon.

cheers, and.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its in kit chatter I think.

I'm a grumpy old git, but it just gets on my nerves when the same questions are asked time after time after time.

I agree with you about bigger and fewer items, that makes sense more than piddling about with a baccy tin

PS, an OXO cube has lots of salt in it and makes a good drink;)

H

He' s left the building

don't you have a hint of a saline solution in a drip?

you just rob a sachet or two of salt next time you're in a cafe or the works canteen

Yep, it is just that though, a hint. Not all drips are the same, depends on the medical condition as to why you're infusing fluids. If dehydration it would usually be saline or hartmanns solution, blood loss would require plasma expanders. Not all drips are the same solution and they are almost 'medications' in that they have contraindications and use-by dates (just like any other medical fluid or beverage) and they should be warmed before infusion, especially in outdoor scenarios. Casualties have been killed by being infused with cold fluids, thus rapidly lowering core temperature. I digress...

Regarding salt requirements, oxo cubes, salt sachets and ORS (oral rehydration solution such as diorylite or homemade salt/sugar solution) are all that is required in 99% of scenarios.

If I collapsed with heat-injury (heat-stroke) and came to with a gob-full of salt tablets I'd be sueing the fool who stuffed them in my mouth that's for sure!!!

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
my baccy tin contains ounce of drum and a packet of zigzags . . . . . . sorted!

I aint had a survival kit in years. . . . to me, the whole concept seems a little bit toy town. If im out in the hills, i got all i need about my person anyway, but in useable size

But thats just my opinion, im not criticizing them what think different

H

He' s left the building

saddle tramp, if you look even remotely like your avatar, then what you've just said completes this brilliant image I have in my head :)

I'll have to let you know if I'm ever down your way, to see for myself ! :)

B

Bush Junior 001

Hi all, I have just joined so firstly hello to everyone

I am sure this topic has probably been done to the death so sorry if I am asking something that has been answered.

My question is what should be kept in a survival kit/tin, I have seen webtex ones etc for sale but it seems in books that there are different contents depending on what you read. If possible could anyone give me a heads up on what should be kept in a decent survival kit that will be carried by the person. Any help would be great no matter how bizzare.

Many Thanks
Bush Junior

B

Bush Junior 001

Thanks Lewiman, I have just worked out how to use the search forum but am coming up with things like bug out bag which is too big for what I am looking for. I am looking at putting together a Survival Kit which will fit in a 1 litre box, the type that would fit into a smock pocket.

I have seen the basic ones that carry this stuff

Knife
Firestarter Firesteel
Combat Wire Saw
Sewing Kit, Candle
compass
fishing Kit
Matches
Emergency Whistle
Signalling Mirror
Pencil
Safety Pins
Snare wire
cotton Wool
Water Purification Tablets
Accident Report Form
Survival Instructions

However is it good to have a cylume in it or tin foil and I am sure I seen Ray Mears with a piece of rubber bycicle tire once. Just any bits that will help

Could anyone point me in the direction of the thread that covers this topic

Thanks
BJ

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Please lads, its Christmas, use the other thread on survival tins and kits for crying out loud:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: enough has been said on this topic already, to the point its not only getting to be dull seeing it asked, but annoying as well

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Please lads, its Christmas, use the other thread on survival tins and kits for crying out loud:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: enough has been said on this topic already, to the point its not only getting to be dull seeing it asked, but annoying as well

bah humbug

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
bah humbug

Your right ;)

But to be honest, if you have the sense to be able to sign up to a forum, you should have the knowledge to be able to either use the search function or just look for a few minutes, this b****y survival kit crap has been talked to death

Enzo

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2008
N,Lanarkshire
"enough has been said on this topic already, to the point its not only getting to be dull seeing it asked, but annoying as well"

Thats why a posted the link

B

Bush Junior 001

Sorry for causing such a stir, I hope I have not ruined to many of your christmas festivities, Enzo has pointed me in the right direction.

Just one more stupid question to throw the cat amongst the pigeons

If you where going to buy a Survival kit/tin which one would you choose, there seems so many

rik_uk3 Sorry if this has ruined your christmas, but I am sure you can point me in the right direction if this has been done to the death as well.

Thanks
Bush Junior

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Bush Junior dont worry this always happens with new people that havnt descovered the search yet lol
i would make my own kit rather than buy one, most kits are cheep and poor quality - not what you want to relly on in a survival situation! also you can choose what you want to put in it and adapt it to different environments.
personaly i never carry one, whenever i venture out i always carry a good knife and fire steel and maby a few other bits and bobs.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE