What tinder to wrap around a ferro rod?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Hi,
On all of the bushcraft/survival stuff I’ve seen, they always have a good chunk of gorilla tape wrapped around the handle of their ferro rod. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong but I’ve never managed to get the tape to take a spark.

What spark-taking tinder could I wrap around the handle instead, with maybe some gorilla tape over the top to secure it? Cotton wool? Any other suggestions?

I just want any tinder that will actually work from ferro rod sparks.

Cheers.

Reactions: John59

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Is the tape for fire lighting, or is it just a handy place to wind some tape that can be used for repairs? I used to wrap tape around the tube from effervescent Vit-C, which I used to carry sugar for my tea. Tape was not used in the tea brewing, it was just a good place to carry it.

As for tinder, I would never have tinder wrapped around my ferro rod. Its just a bad idea any way one looks at it. The notional benefit of having tinder to hand with the rod in an emergency is, in my mind, about as probable as the scenario where you need to catch fish to survive using the kit in an Altoids tin. Better to get one of those Peanut key chain tinder safe things and carry some WetFire or similar around in that.

If you really want tinder and rod, I have heard some make their handle from fat wood.

Chris

Reactions: John59 and Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hmmmmm. Why would you wrap tinder around the ferrocerium rod? I have never seen that done but I am not often exposed to proper bushcraft.

I use cotton wool balls, tumble dryer fluff, ragwort seeds and most commonly, paper handkerchiefs but not attached to the rod.

Is the intention to produce some form of slow match? I can’t see why you’d want that but if so then cotton rope, cable tied to the rod comes to mind. (I use a 12mm ferro rod)

I’d rather produce a flame straight off from the spark.

Any wick material and a splash of meths will do this if that’s what you want. It’s only what the “Perpetual Match” used to do.

I scrape a little ferro dust onto tinder placed where I want fire. I hold the scraper steady where I want the spark and pull the rod towards myself. Two pulls and I have fire.

Reactions: Decacraft

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Good tinder and a ferro rod is a very reliable way to light a fire, especially in a breeze - better than a match and better than a cheap lighter. You can get the tinder right in under your kindling and send the spark into it; it's very hard to do that reliably with a match and you're likely to burn your thumb if you attempt it with a Bic lighter.

However, tinder should be treated like you would black powder in the old days. It should be dried and kept dry by being wrapped up and put away - not wrapped around your rod. Cotton wool is good, scraped birch bark is fantastic and the bark itself acts like a firelighter before the kindling takes hold. Many seed head will light but, if not treated carefully, will flare up then extinguish before your kindling lights.

A totally fool-proof combination is cotton wool and a strip of rubber inner tube which once lit will burn long enough for kindling to light.

But, if you've got firelighters and a turbo lighter, use that :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those ferrocerium rods are reactive too....they 'rust' and rot if they're kept damp.
So, wrapping them in tinder...in our climate ? I don't think that's a good idea.

Reactions: Pattree

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I wrap duct tape on the end of a 6 inch ferro rod to give me a handle. I use a small section of tape to scrape fatwood or any other tinder source onto and find it sticks to it and doesn't blow the tinder away if theres wind. The duct tape does then burn in the tinder pile

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
My modest suggestion would be hemp wick - but I'm happy to be educated in why that's not a good idea. Alternatively, if your ferro rod is suspended from a cord, possibly swap that for one of the survival/tinder paracords.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
As previously said easiest method is carry a keychain pill box/capsule with cotton balls & vaseline.

If the rod came with a plastic handle, in a pinch, probably could scrap that and light it.

Reactions: WittyUsername

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

Seems WetFire isn't available, but the combination above looks like it would be a good combo if you don't want to make your own tinder from cotton wool+ wax/grease.

Fully agree with Broch about how tinder should be looked after. Not wrapped around a handle where it will get damp, dirty, compacted, and worn.

To elaborate on my earlier post. The problem with carrying a small emergency stock of anything is that you generally want to use it, but don't want to broach your emergency stash, so you carry a separate larger stash for not-emergencies. For instance, you use your emergency tinder, wrapped around the handle, for a lunch time brew stop...then twist your ankle as evening comes on and could really do with another fire. If however you planned on a brew or two, and carried even so little as a film pot full of cotton/Vaseline, there would be plenty for lunch, dinner and an unscheduled night out. If you do carry the extra stash, the emergency wrap will get worn to the point it won't work well anymore, which defeats the object.

Striking like this is also helpful with any tinder.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
My modest suggestion would be hemp wick - but I'm happy to be educated in why that's not a good idea. Alternatively, if your ferro rod is suspended from a cord, possibly swap that for one of the survival/tinder paracords.

Curious about hemp wick, have you tried lighting it from a rod?

See 6m roll of natural hemp & beeswax for < £4.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make small tinder bundles. The cordage I use to tie them, and the birch bark that I use to enfold the bundle, all fluffs up well with the edge of my knife. That fluff is prefect spark catch. That said, I do like amadou as a spark catch. It'll even take the spark from flint and steel and let it glow well enough to start an ember.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
I like the idea of a little capsule. My rod is attached to a striker via a lanyard anyway, so I’ll just stick some tinder in a capsule and clip it on. Then I’ll wrap some gorilla tape around the rod and have tinder to catch a spark, plus some tape to extend that initial flame ready for smaller kindling.

Cheers everyone.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I see Amazon US is selling waxed hemp cord as an easy to light waterproof tinder.

Probably never met good Scottish downpours but I guess stored in a ziplock bag it would take up minimal space. Not too sure the "bellows" is up to much either, worth getting a little hemp cord and some wax and having a play maybe?

UK has some too. Looks heavily waxed so might survive a dunking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXDI6N2/

Be interesting to try at some point.

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
Butcher’s twine.

I bought number 4, which was the thickness I could easily find. It’s about 2 mm and claims a test number of 70 Kg… I’ve broken a few pieces dragging logs with one hand. So it’s not abrasion resistant, or I'm only at 3% of full power.

In terms of knot tying, it’s a little slippery so you want to be confident here.

Rayon doesn’t stretch, meaning tying bindings will be more difficult.

Butcher’s twine is Rayon, which is synthetically made cotton. You can fray the string into incredibly fine, very strong, very thin fibers. It looks like cobwebs.

How I use it: firstly I use tiny amount of shredded rayon to tangle together tinder/kindling made by scraping or whittling wood. This stops the tinder pile falling over or getting blown away. You don’t need to use much rayon here, easily under 1 foot or finger-tip to elbow of cordage.

Then I could use a second bundle of shredded rayon or preferably some cotton wool to catch a spark. Real world, butcher’s twine is more expensive than cotton wool and needs more time to prepare. However its works a treat, plus I carry a lot cordage and can retire the dirty or damaged pieces. It's more about weight... no. 4 is 400 meter per kg so 2.5 grams per meter thus 2 meters or a full arm span for about 5 grams.

My tip is rub the cordage against a candle, or some pine sap to increase the burn time.

I bought mine from “ropesource”.

The sticker says:

“Everlasto
established 1856
Reliable ropes and twines
No 4 Rayon 500g
James Lever, Bolton, England. www.jameslever.co.uk

Technically any natural cordage should work. I’ve used cotton string and jute twine. The cotton string I used could be broken down into strands. I could get it to ignite but it took a few attempts. Burned slowest as you might expect.

The jute could be broken down into fine hairs it could burn as a flash tinder, but I think my jute was treated with something. Great practice, great experience but not that practical in the field.

My recommendation is Butcher’s twine.
#answer-1: Butcher's twine could be a pretty cool addition.

Reaction to comments:

I’ve lit Gorilla tape from the ferro-rod before, it’s the glue and reinforcing fibers which catch. So rip the tape up to form a nest. You might find fine needle nose pliers or tweezers helpful here.
#answer-2: Cross loading Gorilla tape could be a pretty cool addition.

I wouldn’t try to use a fatwood handle on a ferro-rod, I think that would break. Or you would whittle it to nothing in only a few practice runs.

If you were burning meths why bother with a wick... I carry a shoe polish tin which I use as a meth burner for cooking. (The shoe polish tin could also make charred material for your next fire).

I wouldn’t expect any survival cords to really be effective in the field. My tip is pair it with a tea light and test it. The challenge being to light a candle. My crazy opinion is: I’d like 5 grams of that wonder tinder… That sounds like A LOT of very expensive wonder cordage, plus if I’m gutting all that wonder cord, I’ll have a tangle of pieces I can’t use then and there.

I could make a lucet cord from rayon, treat it*. Then when I need to unravel it, simply pull.

*Treatment: Soak the cord in cooking oil, wring out the excess and dip the oil-damp cord in candle wax to seal(?). I want the cord to be soft on the inside so I can shred it apart later. I'd need to play with this.

Home made fire lighters:

Cotton wool, plus (50:50 mix) Candle wax with paraffin. Heat the wax, until half as melted the container will often be hot enough to melt the rest. Remove wax from heat, move FAR away from heat source. Add paraffin to molten wax it’s about 50:50 by volume. Dip the cotton wool, I like face pads.

The paraffin makes the wax soft plus it should be very easy to light. Basically what the exotic firelighters use. I haven't cooked too many batches of these. I don't want paraffin smells.

Or Cotton wool, plus candle wax can be mixed with vaseline. I haven’t really noticed an improvement with this. Again the goal is to make the hard wax softer and more manageable. I find vaseline to spits a lot.

I tend to use use:

Cotton wool plus Candle wax, I carry both items separately.

Or cotton wool plus cooking oil.
Birch shaving plus cooking oil works a treat too. Birch has very open pores so it drinks up flammable liquids. Note the black cooking oil will drip out of the wood while burning.

I might carry 97% DEET which is an oil. But burning this would be pretty much last resort.

I ‘m likely to carry an alcohol based hand sanitizer if I'm carrying food. (Technically: Clinell Wipes are more useful for cleaning hands after dressing/cleaning "oranges".) But alcohol makes fire.

Vaseline or lip balm with 45%+ Vaseline/Petrolatum. If a lip balm isn't a soft grease it doesn't work for me as a lip balm in the cold.

Example 1: Carmex classic lip balm / Carmex Original Flavor Moisturizing Lip Balm 45.3%

Example 2: CeraVe Healing Ointment 3 oz with Petrolatum Ceramides for Protecting and Soothing Cracked, Chafed Skin 46.5%

You could buy a pack of 100 tiny alcohol wipes.

Last edited:

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Butcher’s twine.

I bought number 4, which was the thickness I could easily find. It’s about 2 mm and claims a test number of 70 Kg… I’ve broken a few pieces dragging logs with one hand. So it’s not abrasion resistant, or I'm only at 3% of full power.

In terms of knot tying, it’s a little slippery so you want to be confident here.

Rayon doesn’t stretch, meaning tying bindings will be more difficult.

Butcher’s twine is Rayon, which is synthetically made cotton. You can fray the string into incredibly fine, very strong, very thin fibers. It looks like cobwebs.

How I use it: firstly I use tiny amount of shredded rayon to tangle together tinder/kindling made by scraping or whittling wood. This stops the tinder pile falling over or getting blown away. You don’t need to use much rayon here, easily under 1 foot or finger-tip to elbow of cordage.

Then I could use a second bundle of shredded rayon or preferably some cotton wool to catch a spark. Real world, butcher’s twine is more expensive than cotton wool and needs more time to prepare. However its works a treat, plus I carry a lot cordage and can retire the dirty or damaged pieces. It's more about weight... no. 4 is 400 meter per kg so 2.5 grams per meter thus 2 meters or a full arm span for about 5 grams.

My tip is rub the cordage against a candle, or some pine sap to increase the burn time.

I bought mine from “ropesource”.

The sticker says:

“Everlasto
established 1856
Reliable ropes and twines
No 4 Rayon 500g
James Lever, Bolton, England. www.jameslever.co.uk

Technically any natural cordage should work. I’ve used cotton string and jute twine. The cotton string I used could be broken down into strands. I could get it to ignite but it took a few attempts. Burned slowest as you might expect.

The jute could be broken down into fine hairs it could burn as a flash tinder, but I think my jute was treated with something. Great practice, great experience but not that practical in the field.

My recommendation is Butcher’s twine.
#answer-1: Butcher's twine could be a pretty cool addition.

Reaction to comments:

I’ve lit Gorilla tape from the ferro-rod before, it’s the glue and reinforcing fibers which catch. So rip the tape up to form a nest. You might find fine needle nose pliers or tweezers helpful here.
#answer-2: Cross loading Gorilla tape could be a pretty cool addition.

I wouldn’t try to use a fatwood handle on a ferro-rod, I think that would break. Or you would whittle it to nothing in only a few practice runs.

If you were burning meths why bother with a wick... I carry a shoe polish tin which I use as a meth burner for cooking. (The shoe polish tin could also make charred material for your next fire).

I wouldn’t expect any survival cords to really be effective in the field. My tip is pair it with a tea light and test it. The challenge being to light a candle. My crazy opinion is: I’d like 5 grams of that wonder tinder… That sounds like A LOT of very expensive wonder cordage, plus if I’m gutting all that wonder cord, I’ll have a tangle of pieces I can’t use then and there.

I could make a lucet cord from rayon, treat it*. Then when I need to unravel it, simply pull.

*Treatment: Soak the cord in cooking oil, wring out the excess and dip the oil-damp cord in candle wax to seal(?). I want the cord to be soft on the inside so I can shred it apart later. I'd need to play with this.

Home made fire lighters:

Cotton wool, plus (50:50 mix) Candle wax with paraffin. Heat the wax, until half as melted the container will often be hot enough to melt the rest. Remove wax from heat, move FAR away from heat source. Add paraffin to molten wax it’s about 50:50 by volume. Dip the cotton wool, I like face pads.

The paraffin makes the wax soft plus it should be very easy to light. Basically what the exotic firelighters use. I haven't cooked too many batches of these. I don't want paraffin smells.

Or Cotton wool, plus candle wax can be mixed with vaseline. I haven’t really noticed an improvement with this. Again the goal is to make the hard wax softer and more manageable. I find vaseline to spits a lot.

I tend to use use:

Cotton wool plus Candle wax, I carry both items separately.

Or cotton wool plus cooking oil.
Birch shaving plus cooking oil works a treat too. Birch has very open pores so it drinks up flammable liquids. Note the black cooking oil will drip out of the wood while burning.

I might carry 97% DEET which is an oil. But burning this would be pretty much last resort.

I ‘m likely to carry an alcohol based hand sanitizer if I'm carrying food. (Technically: Clinell Wipes are more useful for cleaning hands after dressing/cleaning "oranges".) But alcohol makes fire.

Vaseline or lip balm with 45%+ Vaseline/Petrolatum. If a lip balm isn't a soft grease it doesn't work for me as a lip balm in the cold.

Example 1: Carmex classic lip balm / Carmex Original Flavor Moisturizing Lip Balm 45.3%

Example 2: CeraVe Healing Ointment 3 oz with Petrolatum Ceramides for Protecting and Soothing Cracked, Chafed Skin 46.5%

You could buy a pack of 100 tiny alcohol wipes.

Tiny alcohol wipes could be a great shout.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just plain face wipes catch fire with a decent ferro rod. You can pack loads into a small tin. They need good kindling cut fine as they don’t burn long but they work. Just fluff up the cotton wool surface.

Reactions: WittyUsername

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE