sub-terranean dwellings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Thought you might be interested in this.

I first heard of this guy named 'Mike Oehler' in a BBC documentary, which followed various subcultures and eccentric groups in America.

This particular episode was about 'Survivalists'. It featured a boatload of weirdos, neo-nazis, armageddon paranoiacs, etc - and there was this chilled out hippie writer just doing his thing in a DIY hobbit home, which was almost invisible from outside.

He has a book out, which is the '$50 and up underground house book'. And also some detailed DVD's for ambitious projects. I'd like to add at this point that I do not know or have any contact in this bloke, and do not profit from any of this stuff! It just seemed relevant :)

Check out his website here for some pictures of amazing homes built for silly money: http://www.undergroundhousing.com/structures.html

It seems very exciting to me, as a university student, that instead of struggling to get on the UK property (snakes and-) ladder game, I could buy myself some gorgeous, cheap wooded/coastal land in somewhere like Bulgaria, and build myself an underground HQ for a fraction of the cost.

Any thoughts?

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Great thread and link, thanks.
I have been interested in this kind of construction for a long time now. Its a real shame that government doesnt take this more seriously and see it as affordable, sustainable living with less impact on the environment.

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
If you are really serious about this type of thing, I'd suggest http://www.earthship.org/
Only thing is you'd have to get past all the rules and regs to build it in this country. I believe there is one up in Fife already, just a small one. Check it out, may lead to big things!

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I think the earthships sound like a great idea.
I love the idea of living underground( or at least in a difficult to spot house that blends in with its sourrondings :rolleyes: ). Rules and regs are however one of my pet hates. I know they are there for a reason but do they have to apply them so rigidly, espcially when people are trying to do their bit for the environment inspite of the presures against it. I know a lot of modern houses often fall way short of expected standards. :nono:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE