Strapping kit to a rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
Hello everyone,
I’m after some opinions. I’ve been looking at my too large collection of kit lately and trying to square it up with the type of trips that I undertake these days. I‘m starting to think it’s time for a bit of a clear out and I would like to start with my rucksacks.

I have a Karrimor SF 45 and a Raymundo Mears leaf cutter (90ltrs). Now I never do more than 1 nighters these days as I just don’t have the time or stamina. I’m thinking of selling on the leaf cutter and just using the Karrimor for my one nighters and if I need to carry a bit extra then just strapping it to the sides. I won’t be buying rocket packs for it, I’m literally just thinking of strapping stuff on when necessary.

What‘s your thoughts?

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
Ha!Ha! Totally agree. Yep, just an inflatable pad on one side and perhaps a small flask on the other but definitely no carabiners! (properly strapped up)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Yeah, seems to be a big fad at the moment amongst mainland european outdoors folk. All your kit strapped to the outside. Knives, mugs, axes. All a bit much really. Everything snugged inside so you know where it is and far less likely to have it ripped off while trying to bash through a conifer woodland. Plus, it's alot wetter here!!!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
You're missing the point.
The point being, you take a small bag so when people ask, 'what size bag do you take when camping?' you can breezily reply, 'oh, just a 35L...'
Without telling them about all the extra stuff you have strapped to the outside.
That kind of inverse snobbery is absolutely essential.

On a serious note, there is something to be said for taking a smaller bag and strapping stuff on the outside - it's lighter. An empty 60L bag weighs more than an empty 35L bag.
Mind you, there are downsides to having kit on the outside - it may snag and rip, or it may get wet. I guess that will depend on where, and when, you are out.
In fairness, there are merits and demerits with both approaches. Ultimately, it's your day out and you are free to enjoy it any way you like.
Personally, I like as much as possible to go in the bag where it's safe and protected.

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
If it doesn’t fit in your bag, you’ve either packed too much or you need a bigger one. With the exception of a tent or roll mat I’m of the opinion that it should be inside.

Worth noting that you would fail your mountain leader if you have anything strapped to the outside of your rucksack too.
Good point.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Could you explain a bit, I don't quite get that. o_O

Mountain Leader award is the UK’s qualification for guiding people in the mountain environment. It’s quite old school in some respects and is very clear that all equipment for expeditioning should be packed inside the rucksack. I do get it though, it can be seen as untidy, rushed and not very professional. Especially considering that safety equipment could be in jeopardy of being lost or damaged.

Reactions: leanrascal

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
It’s a good point from @FerlasDave. I don’t want to lose anything off the back of my rucksack when I’m out and about.

Cheers for your input folks, I’m going to keep the leaf cutter for the time being.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If it doesn’t fit in your bag, you’ve either packed too much or you need a bigger one. With the exception of a tent or roll mat I’m of the opinion that it should be inside.

Worth noting that you would fail your mountain leader if you have anything strapped to the outside of your rucksack too.
I used to strap waterproofs to the outside. In the lakes with changeable weather it's a good idea to give you quick access to them and you're not putting them inside your pack when wet. Also a chance to dry them a little too. My point being there's reasons for some stuff being strapped to the outside of your pack being a good idea.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth

Dave, I’ve been a ML(S & W) for 20 years and regularly work with other ML and MCI and I’ve never heard of anybody failing for having kit on the outside of their pack. I do agree however that your more likely to lose or get soaked anything dangling !

Reactions: Wandjina and Olio

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm certain I've been taken into the hills by qualified mountain professionals who carried things outside their pack. I remember a national trust working holiday with a day of climbing and scrambling. The instructor / guide (single pitch, ML and other qualifications) carried his ropes coiled up under the top lid of his alpine style climbing sack. I have a few sacks of that style and they all have a special strap to secure ropes carried this way.

Of course he could have slipped into habits that would fail him in an ML assessment. Although do they need a full set of climbing ropes for summer ML at least so in a summer ML job would they need a rope to carry on the outside?

Reactions: Wandjina

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Interesting; I was sure there was a statement about not having external kit on a backpack in my Mountaincraft and Leadership manual, so I dusted it down - I was wrong it says:

'the addition of pockets and separate compartments is a matter of personal taste' and 'avoid having too many things dangling or projecting from your pack'

However, my manual is dated 1984 :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is that the langmuir one? I have the third edition 1995, there's now a fourth edition from 2013. How much more can be worth adding to it? Does each new edition really add much more? Will my third edition really be out of date? Doubt it.

My third edit says similar but mentions ice acres, crampons, etc being strapped to the outside but advises to not strap too much on the outside. The reasoning is it can affect your balance and can harm your companions.

That's a bit strange because the biggest potential for harm is ice axes on the outside. That's OK but waterproofs isn't? Also I don't know how a securely strapped mat, cag or even tent can affect your balance if it's part of a well packed rucksack. It's about stability of the whole sack. You can make it a better packed sack with outside strapped items or a poorly packed sack without anything outside it. That's about how you load the bag.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If the rucksack is made to strap equipment onto the outside it's often the best solution. But although there is Molle / Pals everywhere nowadays it's rather unusual among professional users to strap stuff outside nowadays.

The German army for exampje did put more and more stuff from outside into the rucksack with every new issued rucksack model since more than 100 years. But otherwise they did haul the complete equipment less and less in the same time. The younger rucksacks are optimised for car transport, 100 years ago they were optimised for marching armies.
But also the back / carring systems became better and that's why the modern rucksacks are more comfortable to carry than the old models and new models that are meant to strap stuff outside are extremely rare. The Austrian RU 90 is one of the rare examples, but not really if you compare it for example with a swiss fur infantry rucksack 1898 which was in my opinion the most intelligent system to strap equipment outside that was ever created.
But well, that's museum stuff. Let's talk about your own equipment!

The advantage of the Karrimor SF Sabre 45 is the option to put the large side pouches onto a relatively small rucksack that still has a good back / carrying system which allows heavier loads how they come together in current trekking or bushcraft use. With the side pouches you reach approximately 65 litres total capacity what's optimal for 3 seasons use in most areas in Europe.
You can put into one side pouch a Pathfinder Bush Pot 64 oz / 1,8 litres so far I am informed or for sure an Austrian or Rumanian mess kit with flat bottom after German WW2 pattern, that works with a modern gas stove and can be used as rat proof food container during the night outside the rucksack. On top fits a modern field bottle of British, American or even French origin I think, together with cuttlery kit and fix blade knife. That means you have the complete kitchen in one side pouch. In the other you can put a tarp, rainsuit and second field bottle. What could get packed whet goes into the side pouches.

In the main compartment you carry a sleeping bag in its bivvy bag, a German army folding mat that's easily available in Britain as Multimat Adventure 4 XL, your self inflating sleeping pad and on top of that a 7 or 8 litres dry bag (Ortlieb PS10 or Snugpak) that contains your spare clothing and polyester fleece jacket and can be used as a pillow during the night. As you see your bed is seperated in the main compartment. That's very very practical!

In the lid pouch you put your head torch and tooth brush and you are ready to go if you didn't forget compass, map and toilet paper.

That is the currently most practical way to carry a 3 seasons lightweight equipment that's based on equipment that's made according to the Specifications of NATO armies, that means as durable as possible, cheap as chips and green as grass.

If you pack your stuff like that and don't go for camping below the freezing point that's surely all you need.

OK, that's no entire packing list. Cordage, cigarette lighter and a few other essentials you should add of course, but you surely got the idea.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE