Selling banned U.K knives on Ebay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well I have a large collection of bayonets and not one of them has a sharp edge, they were designed for stabbing and even the modern bayonets are usually slid through a clenched fist to put them into their sheath,when on parade etc, a cutting edge would be the last thing you need, bayonets are a lot different from survival knives, even though sometimes similar in shape and design. it was only when bayonets of about 6 inches long were made that people started to put a cutting edge onto them because basically at that length they were knives.
Most bayonets in ww1 and 2 left the Armouries dull, but with a sharp point.
Nowadays it would be quite rare for a bayonet to be used as intended, (on the end of a rifle)as most skirmishes are usually carried out at a distant, they are mainly for decoration and parades.
The bayonets we were issued were:

1) The M7, a bayonet of around 7 inches with a sharpened edge and a shorter sharpened double edge It’s blade was indeed exactly the same as the M3 trench knife of WWII, which in turn was nearly identical to the M1 trench knife of WWI that I linked above. The M7 was standard issue from the 1950s until the 1990s. It was used (actually USED) in combat in Vietnam.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Evolution from WWI until present:

Mark1 Trench Knife (WWI) https://images.app.goo.gl/evSo5xJ2gE52Uxnj9

Mark 3 Trench Knife (WWII And Korea) https://images.app.goo.gl/BBxVFjFirt25B5PB6

M7 Bayonet https://images.app.goo.gl/5HxxzZhKZGqc7BydA

M9 Bayonet = having trouble linking image

The first three have interchangable sheaths while the M9 sheath is larger and designed to link with the bayonet to use as a wire cutter.

No, they aren’t used for ceremonial drill here. Those would be polished versions of the longer WWII bayonets mounted on M1 Garands. Every bayonet since then has been designed for combat and yes, the Marines still train for bayonet combat.

Edited to coerce autocorrupt.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I think what you are referring to is the marketing of a knife,similar in a way to the Zombie Knives for example, take off the markings and they are no longer Zombie Knives.

Nope different law - i understand them

I didn't say Bayonets were illegal - I know the law. Just said I was a surprised that the government and or case law hadn't made them so since the drive has always been to remove weapons and a bayonet is a weapon - they are issued to the army as one.

Dictonary definiton

bayonet

noun
noun: bayonet; plural noun: bayonets; modifier noun: bayonet
1.a blade that may be fixed to the muzzle of a rifle and used to stab an opponent in hand-to-hand fighting.

What I was quoting was the part of the law a Bayonet could by definition/name alone already fall into - the fact they don't surprises me that is all

Reactions: santaman2000

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
So you've got an out-the-front automatic knife?

Assuming that it was in your possession before the 1959 ban, you can keep it in your gun safe indefinitely.

However, you cannot, in the UK, give it away, exchange it for something else or sell it.

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that even putting it up for sale on a foreign website and selling it to somebody in a country where these things are not restricted would put you at risk of prosecution. You will be in the UK even though using a foreign platform to offer the object for sale.

These things are openly sold over here in France, I could pop into any number of shops here in Paris and buy one over the counter, no questions asked, and then bury it in its box at the bottom of my bag and transport it home.

If you're really determined to sell this item, I think that you could transport it to the continent inside a locked toolbox in the boot of your car, for instance, and walk into any knife or gun shop and sell it for cash.

Most shops like that will buy second hand knives, or will take it on consignment, but then you'd have the hassle of waiting for your cash and the shop might want to pay you by cheque...

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope different law - i understand them

I didn't say Bayonets were illegal - I know the law. Just said I was a surprised that the government and or case law hadn't made them so since the drive has always been to remove weapons and a bayonet is a weapon - they are issued to the army as one.

Dictonary definiton

bayonet

noun
noun: bayonet; plural noun: bayonets; modifier noun: bayonet
1.a blade that may be fixed to the muzzle of a rifle and used to stab an opponent in hand-to-hand fighting.

What I was quoting was the part of the law a Bayonet could by definition/name alone already fall into - the fact they don't surprises me that is all

^^^This^^^

So you've got an out-the-front automatic knife?

Assuming that it was in your possession before the 1959 ban, you can keep it in your gun safe indefinitely.

However, you cannot, in the UK, give it away, exchange it for something else or sell it.

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that even putting it up for sale on a foreign website and selling it to somebody in a country where these things are not restricted would put you at risk of prosecution. You will be in the UK even though using a foreign platform to offer the object for sale.......

^^^And this^^^

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE