Woodlore knife info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Right, this is a dangerous thread to post but here goes.

I recently bought a SWC Iroko Woodlore from the forum (thanks Tannith) and have been comparing it to my Alan Wood Woodlore. They are very similar but there are a few subtle differences.

The SWC knife I know its history as I asked.

The Alan Wood however was a purchase from eBay many moons ago just as the ban came in. I bought a 'Woodlore Sheath' nudge nudge, wink wink. This was a used but not abused knife and a good many years old when it came to me (I recall the nice fella who sold it was getting a new one as his name had come to the top of the list and was selling this to help fund it. Woodlore were even good enough to confirm the chap was on their list and was indeed getting a new knife).
I notice this does not have a taper tang, however the SWC one does. Woodlores site lists very little info on the Alan Wood version but examples I've seen do have a taper tang.

So what does the forum know about the timeline of these knives and can anyone shed light on where mine fits in?
Pics to help
49adfb250fd902388027aac77c0dad19_zps1ef2ea01.jpg

The neck sheath is the one that came with the Alan Wood but I bought a left handed belt sheath for it too
45ddc53df93dc431897983d08da95fc2_zps5e0b2131.jpg

3e6007da643726a1d66ebe479854a2dc_zps6fba7834.jpg

138292fed59bfa0e150ee8624fb5cc74_zpsb46ee2c3.jpg

Other quick question, can the makers mark be darkened in any way?

Right the fine print. Yes I am sad and like knives. Yes I like Mears, personal choice. Yes they are very expensive knives and I know that I can get one commissioned for far less. Etc, etc, etc
I love this forum and the breadth of knowledge is outstanding. And I do love the personal opinions we all have too. Its just funny at times too ;)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I'm sure the early Alan Wood knife didn't have a taperd tang, I have a woodlore from 2003 and that has a taper but my mate has an older one that dosent. Jonathan D may know.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I'm sure the early Alan Wood knife didn't have a taperd tang, I have a woodlore from 2003 and that has a taper but my mate has an older one that dosent. Jonathan D may know.

I have a Woodlore dated 2007 with a tapered tang and a thicker handle, will try and get some pics up later.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The tapered tang only appeared in about 2002/3. That knife is shown is definitely a pre 2002 model with slimmer profile handle.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers all. Starting to build a picture of its age. It was well used when I got it and has been a great knife for the years I've had it.
I did read somewhere that the very early ones did not have a fire steel loop on sheath, so I guessed it was not a very first one.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
That swc has such a large ricasso compared to the AW. Wonder what that's good for. Real nice knives nonetheless.

I can imagine it being fun to own something that special.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
As far as I know these knives vary enormously, I have a Wiilkinson Sword one I bought about 10yrs ago and have been lucky enough to compare it to several others...handle profile and blade profile vary a hell of a lot.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Had to google 'ricasso' :)
Very true. Makes the handle slabs shorter on the SWC which is also true at the pommel. Pommel also does not swell as much either.
I've had the Alan Wood a good few years. I've tried to not be too precious with it, but am careful as I know I could never replace it. The SWC was something I should never have been able to have, but I just could not resist or see it go elsewhere, soppy but I have a 'feeling' for certain knives. Well made, well shaped shiny things are one of my weaknesses. Thankfully my finances stop this from being over the top.
That swc has such a large ricasso compared to the AW. Wonder what that's good for. Real nice knives nonetheless.

I can imagine it being fun to own something that special.

Last edited:

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Cheers all. Starting to build a picture of its age. It was well used when I got it and has been a great knife for the years I've had it.
I did read somewhere that the very early ones did not have a fire steel loop on sheath, so I guessed it was not a very first one.

I have a similar model bought cheap from first (US) owner who took one course at Woodlore and decided that diving was a better hobby ;)

It has the same pattern and same slimmer handle configuration. I believe it is from around 1998-1999. The hollow grind on mine has been flattened nicely over time. Well used by me, but I retired the knife to the collection due to better fitting models. I also have the original sheath where the belt loop has been riveted, it has no firesteel loop. Hope that helps a bit. Cracking knives -they look even better when used ;)

-Emile

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I've seen your pics before but that's the one that makes me think.

Ps god that was a collection. Not jealous at all, honest, no really,

bugger it, I want :)

My guess is the two centre ones are of the same spec as mine. Full tang and slim scale profile.
The two towards the left are later models I guess. Is the very left one an Alan Wood with the darker stain?
I assume too that the two on the right are SWC models and the profile is similar to early models.
I do covet a WS micarta. I am a weak, weak man.
My holly grail is one of those JP limited editions. Never happening, but I can dream :)

Here was my collection:

finalcollection.jpg

Thanks for that. Could well be 98-99. The hollow grind is still present but it does not get hard use so does not get sharpened that often. I read Alan Woods reason for the grind which was interesting and kind of makes some sense.

Ps what you using now?

I have a similar model bought cheap from first (US) owner who took one course at Woodlore and decided that diving was a better hobby ;)

It has the same pattern and same slimmer handle configuration. I believe it is from around 1998-1999. The hollow grind on mine has been flattened nicely over time. Well used by me, but I retired the knife to the collection due to better fitting models. I also have the original sheath where the belt loop has been riveted, it has no firesteel loop. Hope that helps a bit. Cracking knives -they look even better when used ;)

-Emile

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
So the middle two are WS models. Ah - was wrong there
First one looks closest to mine, but has the darker stain.

So you kept two stunners. Very nosey and say bog off, but what did the JPs go for 'ish'. Feel free to PM or not answer, but intrigued how far out of my league they ever were ;)

First 4 AW/RM Woodlores

Next 4 Wilkinson Sword Woodlores

2 Alan Wood Knives

2 JP Woodlores

2 SWC Woodlores

I now only have these 2:

starttofinish13.jpg

Jun 6, 2013
Salisbury
Excuse my ignorance, but of the two you have kept the top one is the Instructor Woodlore, but what is the bottom one, is that an SWC knife in antler scales?

Thanks,

Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE