Selling banned U.K knives on Ebay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No, not ideal, but as you say, doable.
I am now in the process of hafting ( Paleo style, how I imagine they did it) a beautiful flint blade, and will in summer try it out for a few days.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of these can be purchased from a well known Chinese discount website, and that's a fact.

[QUOTE="Toddy, post: 1892205,

Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

• butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
  • disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
  • flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
  • gravity knives
  • stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
  • zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
  • swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
  • push daggers
  • blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
  • telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
  • batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
  • hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
  • shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
  • kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
  • hand or foot-claws
  • knuckledusters
[/QUOTE]
Is this list comprehensive? Bayonets are conspicuously missing.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No. Similar design, but used by the Austrians, mainly on the Italian front.
The fighting on the Italian front was more or less finished by the time the US joined in the WW1.
Of course, there were some voluntary US people there, driving ambulances, Hemingway is the most famous one.
But they helped the Italians for some reason.

Granddad fought there. Austrian side of course.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Automatic and or flick knives were band in the UK in 1959, its legal to own one if you bought it before then but not after

Is this list comprehensive? Bayonets are conspicuously missing.[/QUOTE]

nor are various military knives - not entierly sure why they were missed however alot of the Ninja stuff was added due to gang vololence at the time and the Ninja craze - it is said stuff was added due to a magazine advert and that nunchaku weren't put on the banned list because the company had run out and there were none in the advert.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I think bayonets are much safer than "Pruners", I mean you wouldn't let kids run around playing games with pruners would you.......................lol

Reactions: Toddy

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It is illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow, so as long as you are not hunting you can use a bow, after all Archery is an Olympic Sport, I think there is still a Law where all Englishmen have to practice archery for at least 3 hours a week, not sure whether it was ever repealed.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It is illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow, so as long as you are not hunting you can use a bow, after all Archery is an Olympic Sport, I think there is still a Law where all Englishmen have to practice archery for at least 3 hours a week, not sure whether it was ever repealed.
I think he means are the hunting tips legal; modern broadheads. The hardware itself.

Reactions: Janne

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
why would you think bayonets would be on the banned list?
basically its a long fixed blade, usually without a sharp edge.
Yes basically just a fixed blade. One specifically designed as a combat weapon. And most I’ve seen/was issued do indeed have sharp edges. Usually double edges at least part way. Specifically the A-7 and the M-9

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Well I have a large collection of bayonets and not one of them has a sharp edge, they were designed for stabbing and even the modern bayonets are usually slid through a clenched fist to put them into their sheath,when on parade etc, a cutting edge would be the last thing you need, bayonets are a lot different from survival knives, even though sometimes similar in shape and design. it was only when bayonets of about 6 inches long were made that people started to put a cutting edge onto them because basically at that length they were knives.
Most bayonets in ww1 and 2 left the Armouries dull, but with a sharp point.
Nowadays it would be quite rare for a bayonet to be used as intended, (on the end of a rifle)as most skirmishes are usually carried out at a distant, they are mainly for decoration and parades.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Because if hunting arrow tips are legal, they can be used as (very short) blades.

The bayonet we were issued with, never left the regiment. Even when sharp ( our were very sharp) they were very difficult to cut with.

We were also issiued with Mora knives, because the bayonet was useless.

Even in those days ( late 70' to early 80') , it was an archaic instrument. We trained our guys in close combat, but not using bayonets.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The pigsticker bayonet was round, sort of like a marlin spike apart from the tip.
We weren't allowed to play with them, I mind that.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
why would you think bayonets would be on the banned list?
basically its a long fixed blade, usually without a sharp edge.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/21/contents

1 Unlawful marketing of knives.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he markets a knife in a way which—

(a)indicates, or suggests, that it is suitable for combat;

Its not for spreading butter...

Its a weapon - far more than a pair of climbing spikes or half that rubbish ninja stuff could ever be

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/21/contents

1 Unlawful marketing of knives.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he markets a knife in a way which—

(a)indicates, or suggests, that it is suitable for combat;

Its not for spreading butter...

Its a weapon - far more than a pair of climbing spikes or half that rubbish ninja stuff could ever be

I think what you are referring to is the marketing of a knife,similar in a way to the Zombie Knives for example, take off the markings and they are no longer Zombie Knives, if I advertised a bayonet for sale and stated that it was good to kill, then that would be illegal. but in the exemptions it does state that I would have a defence if I thought the person who bought it was in my opinion unlikely to use it illegally, as Bayonets are in reality collectors Items I can't see them coming into the banned list, (which they are not in at the moment)the same as those that are exempt by age, for instance sword sticks, antique swords, a lot of material was made to kill in combat, that wouldn't necessarily make them illegal, providing you didn't advertise them as such, this is probably why they are classed as survival knives rather than combat knives,I mean a USMC Knife is not illegal to own, a FS knife, Military swords, knives that basically are military and designed for combat which I think will be exempt.:
As the banned list contains Items that are not bladed, knuckle dusters, blow pipes et al, you could speculate that eventually everything would be illegal, which of course they are ,if used for an illegal purpose..

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The pigsticker bayonet was round, sort of like a marlin spike apart from the tip.
We weren't allowed to play with them, I mind that.
A lot of the older bayonets were trinagular but they have contravened the Law Of Armed Conflict since theearly 20th Century.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE