Razor strop fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
I have just got a large Razor strop fungus to make a razor strop. Might sound like a stupid question, but i take it its just a case of drying it, cutting in into a rectangle and gluing in to a board?

steve

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
I have made a couple. Dried the fungus first and then cut with a saw. I was not too impressed with them as they seemed too soft with too much give in them. I think they were 5 mm thick, 65mm by 100mm
I can not remember where, but I am sure I read that they were often pressed, after being cut.

Kepis how did you cut yours and how thick and what size?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have made a couple. Dried the fungus first and then cut with a saw. I was not too impressed with them as they seemed too soft with too much give in them. I think they were 5 mm thick, 65mm by 100mm
I can not remember where, but I am sure I read that they were often pressed, after being cut.

Kepis how did you cut yours and how thick and what size?

Here you go Sean, this is one i made to go in my travelling carving kit

DSCF1845.jpg

it measures 9mm thick, 35mm wide by 95mm long, it's got the feeling of, how can i put it, a Staedtler pencil eraser?.

Mark

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Cheers guys - just came across one at the weekend and wasn't sure to dry it or not before cutting.
I suppose you could always press it under some massive books or pile of magazines to compress it.
How did you cut yours Mark?

JEckert

Feb 25, 2011
GB
I had never heard of this fungus before now. What is its name and where is it found? etc.

Thanks

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I was really struggling to get a good smooth even surface for stropping. Tonight i came to realize that all it takes is a nice level surface and some sandpaper. Dont know why i didnt think of it sooner!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE