primitive home building

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eddieb

Jan 17, 2014
Essex
Hi thought I would ask here or I'll be researching for silly amount or hours and just to be clear I'm not going to go out and do this as I don't like the destruction of trees. But I was wondering if anyone knows how it was done or they would build a proper long term shelter basically like a stoneage round house?
What wood would you use for the structural beams and how do you prevent them rotting in the ground?
What would your flooring be?
How big?!
And anything else :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are a variety of naturally rot proof timbers - sweet chestnut springs to mind. Much would be driven by what was available locally - ever dragged a decent tree trunk? You wouldn't want to drag it far without mechanical power.

Check out Cody's channel for much more hand on insights

[video=youtube;KigIN8BpXk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KigIN8BpXk8&list=PLu9l 40IymKw-vvGMrd5U-fcimrVjv-9c6[/video]

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the posts in round houses and the like all rot out eventually, but they can be replaced insitu too ;) Butser Ancient Farm have been doing running repairs on some buildings for decades, including replacing a rotten post inside a large house.

Stone walled round houses (and square ones elsewhere and later) have wooden eves and they get replaced when you repair the roof every couple of decades.

Most wooden posts that last longest against rot ae sweet chestnut and oak, mostly oak is used for structural timbers in my experience. Charring the ends and packing the post hole in drainage material (rocks, etc) helps them to last. Normally a post will rot and snap where it meets the ground surface, so the charring (or tarring) goes 6" above the ground too

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Sweet chestnuts are believed to have come to Britain by the Romans not sure when though, they could have been used. Butser Farm is an amazing place well worth a visit. We have Castell Henllys not too far away in Pembrokeshire. I love looking at round-houses.
It's believed that if a family moved to a new area (rather than an already settled area) they would have built a quick small shelter out of nearby materials for short time use. They would then search further afield for better building materials and build a bigger house. I can't remember how long these lasted but the first shelter was only meant to last a few months.
My Dad built a temporary round-house, he was an amateur archaeologist, here in our field and it actually lasted 2 years before the roofing blew away, the sticks stayed up for another year and the posts were rotten but stood for longer although they wouldn't take any weight.

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
I was told or read once that if you put the tree-post upside down they last longer, don't know if that is true?

I doubt it - many trees concentrate anti-fungals such as tannins in the roots, since these are the parts that are most at risk - being wet and muddy a lot of the time.

For example, roof shingles made of the butt/stump of Western Red Cedar last much longer than those made from the part of the tree felled for conventional timber. This was discovered when roof shingles became fashionable in the 70s.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
There was a youtube user who built an "Earth bag" house. The bags were biodegradable but the earth stayed good for many many years. I think *if I remember rightly* that the supporting beams were not able to rot because the inside of the house was always kept warm to prevent damp or rot setting in. If he noticed mould, he sanded it off. He also dipped most of the lumber in a tannin oil/resin (can't remember which) which was extracted from the roots of the trees.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Then there are sod houses to consider - just dig up sods, pile them up - not dissimilar to drystone wall building I should imagine.

'primitive' is an odd word. I know what you mean, but actually the techniques are often not so primitive, we just don't appreciate aspects of the design until we try to replicate them. Like finding out that when thatched buildings lack chimneys, the thatch lasts longer due to the preservative aspects of the smoke.

'Houses built with materials to hand and without sophisticated tools' is a better name I feel (if more than a little long-winded).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE