poncho roll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all I've just baught a poncho roll of ebay its the faulklands issue one I've got the poncho already any can of you guys tell me or point me in the right direction on how to fold the poncho in it u tube many or any links regards dave :confused::lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Realy like this link some good information whats the source is it from any links i can look at.

I gather from the components of the URL it's extracted from the handbook for an Army ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Cops) unit on some university campus (UNL, whatever university that is)

Much of it used to be in the instructions issued with the equipment but as the equipment itself is no longer issued (the ALICE type anyway) they're becoming extremely rare in print form.

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I take it its the canvas 58 pattern one? just fold up poncho till the width is that of poncho roll,then roll up poncho into a tight roll put in poncho roll and wrap roll around and secure the tab's(if that maketh sense).

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Only two poncho's I saw for the 58 webbing was a rubberised one and the later nylon one.

I used the nylon one when "in service" back 30 years ago, to put it away it was a case of fold the length to the width of the roll and then fold the width concertina wise until enough was left to do a wrap around, then into the unfolded roll and secure, a piece of car tyre inner tube in the middle stopped it coming apart

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
From memory,
if you tried to fold the poncho to be exactly the width of the canvas poncho roll, it was a devil to get the fasteners secured.

but

if you folded the poncho to be wider than the edges of the roll by about an inch, it was a little easier to secure it all together.

ATB

Ogri the trog

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi sorry first off i was refering to the poncho roll being canvas not the pu/nylon poncho 58 patt its self, ive got both and can get mine in rolled up nice and tight,same size as the roll itself,if i could still post pics id put some up (alas i no longer can).

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
A "canvas" poncho? Isn't that a bit atiquated for Faulands era issue?

i'm no expert but i don't think it's too far out at all, i'm fairly sure that '58 pattern webbing was still general issue during the falkland conflict so you're talking all cotton canvas, including the webbing belt and yolk. i've got no experiance really of using '58 pattern webbing but i imagine that it's not the nicest of kit to work with once it starts getting a bit wet and cold, so ideal for the falklands really :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahahaha lots of misunderstanding In here I reckon!

A "canvas" poncho? Isn't that a bit atiquated for Faulands era issue?

No, Dave53 has a Canvas poncho ROLL as issued as part of the 58 pattern webbing, like this,

58-WEB-FULL-SET.jpg

Its the rectangle on the right above the belt, used to hold the rolled 58 era poncho\shelter like this, clipped on below the webbing,

2007311717656.jpg

Excellent kit, if only it didnt soak up every last drop of moisture on the planet,

the poncho looked like this,

waterproofs_poncho1_patt58.jpg

All though some cotton ones were issued,

NC_Doba_11-8.jpg

But only if you had the legs for them:)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
dunno if this helps.....i've got 2 of the ponchos....and i love them....both in great nick....becoming hard to get....often the waterproof tape inside the poncho around the neck is the bit that goes, can be repaired of course. anyway i love them....tough as hell....but as for the 58 webbing i'd avoid it....as has been said....heavy and like sponges....i simply fold my poncho up real tight and cram in bag

regards

a

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
If you fancy a real challenge try getting one of the old green noddy suits and a pair of NBC over boots in one in the rain at Sennybridge while being 'motivated' and given one on one Personal performance feedback.

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
I think if my memory serves me right by the time the Falklands war came around we had moved onto nylon based ponchos the rubberized version disappearing earlier, I know I received my first set of 58 webbing in 1976 on my first infantry tour to Ulster, before that in the RE's we had second world war webbing.
I was still using 58 webbing in 1993 when I left the army! More often than not our NBC suits were rolled up in the supplied 58 pattern role up pouch while the poncho's were bungee strapped or tied above it.
To be honest I wish I now had a few of the old nylon poncho's for the Bushcraft courses I teach.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE