Polish Lavvu on super steroids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
OOOOoooo

That's nice, very roomy:) perhaps a bit heavy to lug around on yer back!

I've liked the look of those poncho tents for awhile now - have requested one for me birthday:)

I've had a thought of copying the pattern to make a lightweight version from ripstop nylon [one of those projects I'll get round to at some point! - may even encorporate a lengthening into it as well...]

Nice photos too.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I'm really liking this modification.

It's something I would really like to do myself. 😊

I have some experience on a industrial brother sewing machine from college and pattern cutting.

Would you have any tips on the basic principles and design of this modification as I have never made a tent before.

In fact I have no access to the college sewing machine now, so I may get some dental floss and a sail makers needle and attempt the mod by hand. Slow, I know but I can backstitch and fold ( Jean stitch ) double stitch the extensions by hand and it may be easier for me.

As I think about it, are the principles to just follow the lines from the centre outwards for a metre. But I'm not sure on the shape of the circumference.

I guess I will have to make a twirl from calico and see how it goes.

But if you would like to offer any advice or tell us about the way you made this, that would be absolutely great.

This seems like a perfect tent for me to live in while I'm back in the country.

With a wood burner and comfy bed roll I would be very happy plotting up on my friends land in Cornwall.

Or if anyone else would like to fathom a way to perform this mod, I think it would be a great educational discussion.

Something that would certainly help me.

I've kinda fallen in love with these Lavvu's. Lol

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I also think it may be easier to perform the extension if one uses the extendable tripod system raising the original tent to the fullest extension one wants and then one can see the extension space/lines to follow to the bottom of the tent leading to the ground.

But any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.

Last edited:

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Just a thought...instead of stitching the bottom on the lavvu to the top of the extension piece why not overlap the bottom of the lavvu over the top of the extension piece and fix into place with buttons? (or some sort of cufflink type device and use the existing grommet holes) the surplus extension cloth on the inside can be attached with Velcro.

This way = less and easier sewing, as the extension is under the lavvu water will not ingress, easy to attach each other together and have a choice if to use the extension or not.

If you do get this mod of the ground I would like to hear the dimensions of the extenstion piece as I would/probably have a go at this myself.

Cheers

PS: An extra thought(s).....with careful measurement and the correct dimensions were used for the extension could more of the alu poles be used that come with the lavvus, so 8 or 9 instead of 6? Assuming they can take the strain?

Tripod method is good. I bought 3 extendable washing pole lines very cheaply from Wilkos, only problem is they are very heavy to carry and cannto say how well they would work in super extended mode. Was also thinking if they are touching the inside of the cloth that it could help water seep through (unless outside of cloth is truly waterproof?)

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Just a thought...instead of stitching the bottom on the lavvu to the top of the extension piece why not overlap the bottom of the lavvu over the top of the extension piece and fix into place with buttons? (or some sort of cufflink type device and use the existing grommet holes) the surplus extension cloth on the inside can be attached with Velcro.

This way = less and easier sewing, as the extension is under the lavvu water will not ingress, easy to attach each other together and have a choice if to use the extension or not.

If you do get this mod of the ground I would like to hear the dimensions of the extenstion piece as I would/probably have a go at this myself.

Cheers

PS: An extra thought(s).....with careful measurement and the correct dimensions were used for the extension could more of the alu poles be used that come with the lavvus, so 8 or 9 instead of 6? Assuming they can take the strain?

Tripod method is good. I bought 3 extendable washing pole lines very cheaply from Wilkos, only problem is they are very heavy to carry and cannto say how well they would work in super extended mode. Was also thinking if they are touching the inside of the cloth that it could help water seep through (unless outside of cloth is truly waterproof?)

Yes, your absolutely right Flashpan, having the extension buttoned up instead of attaching by sewing would give the option of having it extended or not, a much better option for me.

I think I will make a bottom skirt 2' high and try to button/popper/Velcro it around the bottom of a Lavvu.

I will lay the Lavvu flat and follow the lines down and measure 2 and a half foot, leaving a 6 inch overlapping area for buttoning/attachment.

I'm only 5' 4" tall so that would leave enough room for me to have a shower with my 1.25 litre pressurised spray gun. ( Navy Shower )

With the attachable choice one could keep the weight down or not. Or share between people in a team.

Also I will try to find some more push together aluminium poles to try, and I would also like to try the line method and no pole/poles by attaching the line to a tree branch or ridge line between two trees. Maybe 550 paracord would work for this.

Once I get my Lavvu sorted out and I return from India I shall let you know how I get on.

Cheers. 😊

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Excellent, looking forward to viewing your mod already :) Line method is good but always thought what if you cannot find a branch the right height, not so keen to camp under big branches is case they fall, you main line branch breaks while in the tent.

Also of course always good to carry the poles as a backup.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yes, I think the ridge line method between two trees would be better than attaching to a branch, I'm not that keen of camping under a branch either.

I will always have the poles with me, but may use the ridgeline to create a little more space.

I'm looking forward to the mod too. 😊

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Well yes, I now remember seeing this info before but forgot tot think about it

Here is a mega thread I found

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131475

I now actually I recall 3 sizes can exist - I think you can tell the type (wood/alu) or number of poles you get (seem to remember 2 diff sizes in poles so probably 4 or 6 for full tent)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115873

I know for sure someone listed the diff sizes S, M, L just cannot find that info..

Found it:

They come in black or green, and 3 different sizes depending on height of the soldier.
S1 – 160-170cm
S2 – 170-180cm
S3 – 180-190cm

from here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-45793-p-3.html

Look for henrik5 post near the bottom.

Does this throw the cat amongst the pigeons?

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
No, no cat among my pigeons, 😊 its fine.

I shall give those links a read.

Thanks for the information.

I'm still on page 11 of the Lavvu on a budget thread. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Some useful information in those links Flashpan. I did look for Henrik5's post at the bottom of the last link but it was about knives instead.

Maybe a posting/link mistake.

I think today is my Polish Lavvu 101 day. 😊

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Checked again that post is there....anyhoo here it is: :)

henrik5

27-08-2013, 20:35

All folks that are interested in buying PM me so I know how many I have to buy.
As I'm limited on luggage I can carry with me, it would be on first come first served basis.
They come in black or green, and 3 different sizes depending on height of the soldier.
S1 – 160-170cm
S2 – 170-180cm
S3 – 180-190cm
I guess, the bigger the better, but can’t promise what sizes would be available.
Hello,
I have bought one too. One plan is S1 from 1978, the other is S2 from 1987. They fit together also one is 8 cm longer. I cannot imagine what this seller write:

Specific description:

color: olive;
whole set includes: 2 x poncho, poles, pins;
available sizes of ponchos:
size 1 for people with height 160-170 cm,
size 2 for people with height 170-180 cm,
size 3 for people with height 180-190 cm;

to make tent you don't need same sizes of both ponchos, all sizes can be putted together, tent has always same dimensions: height 1,4 m, octagon base diameter 2,5 m;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-person-Tent-Poncho-Zeltbahn-from-Polish-Army-NEW-/320944150060
The diameter change between 2,30 -2,50 depends on the size of the plan. Tomorrow i will try it but i think its will be narrow with my 183 cm.

Its too narrow because its nearly a Size I with these two ponchos. With two size II it would be possible but also no good. I would need two Size III. But the tent is awesome. Quickly built up and a very solid construction.
Somebody knows a source in Polen who would sent an Size III to Germany?
http://thumbnails108.imagebam.com/27330/c73832273297582.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/c73832273297582)

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
ahhh...something I never noticed on the ebay listing description:

"all sizes can be putted together, tent has always same dimensions: height 1,4 m, octagon base diameter 2,5 m"

Really can't say how or why I missed that :eek:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I'm to have to wait till I see mine to be sure of the true size. What ever it is I will still do the extension mod.

Maybe third added poncho widening and giving a vestibule area and square doorway influenced by Mr Mike Smith,
452648afa27e5a1e4193552a42e3566d.jpg

AND an added connectable skirt, vertical type, for height I think.

This type.
78ed6a84e7ac53f24c57c94936001ca3.jpg

Influenced by this chap. 😊

http://dabberty.com/?p=1823

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Message for Karl,

I do apologise if we may of hijacked your thread.

I respect your work and good mod and don't want to cause offence.

It just kinda happened.

Apologies again.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Something else that is formulating in my head is a mosquito screen. As my lavvu has the triangular entrance am thinking something in that shape and attached on the inside again with Velcro. Or maybe a pyramid type shape screen so it can extend out from the front? If only to make it a little less claustrophobic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE