Penny / Pepsi Can cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Wow, thank everyone for discussing this, and not fighting ;) :p

The penny seems to make the stove burn better, I like the idea of putting the holes up higher to create a well in the centre.. saves using a tuna tin :) if it works... :|

It helps with the priming, you could just use the cut off top of the tuna tin as the bae for priming but looking at it, with that pot support ( nice idea ) I think the whole can might be a good idea as it'll keep some of those edges away from things when packed. Though I'd have thought quite a few more holes in the tuna can would help with with airflow feeding to the burn jets.

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Great tutorial!! Never really had much success with the priming pans before, but that has given me some ideas. :rolleyes:
Keep up the superb work! :)

leon-1

If you make the outer can a little taller, it will be able to hold more meths when priming and a priming pan isn't needed.

That's wholey dependant upon temperature, I have been experimenting with this type of stove for a number of years and the self compressors have difficulties when it is cold, a priming pan works a lot better
to initiate the process.

The first I made I love to bits, yes it did strip the copper plating of of one of my pans in very short order, but it works a treat with TI to get a brew going or to get noodles softened up quickly. Quietly it's frightening how quick it works with a pre-heat, but it works very well and it's still going after a few years of use.

I will state though that my main stove that I use is a trangia (civilian one) with a clickstand or I use a Crux, either one is reliable in most conditions.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Having learnt about coke can stoves from links off of here, I've knocked up quite a few. I documented one I made up last year at a car rally. Emphasis being on making it as simple as possible.

http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=othrmod&action=display&thread=1187644066

One thing I've since found useful it to use a spoon to rub around the 'outer' can's inside. E.g. hold the outer can with the safe side in the palm of one hand and the sharp edge facing outwards then push outwards on the sharp edge with a spoon and twist the can. eventually you stretch the metal slightly and it's a lot easier to fit it over the inner can without splitting.

Another thing I've seen somewhere is to put a stanley blade in a thick book rather than on a piece of wood since that allows for a very accurate height

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Slightly different take on the can type stove

DSCN4266.jpg

No need for a priming pan on this one as it's self contained, much like the trangia, details on how to make here

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks mate, i was sitting in the office absolutely bored out of my skull earlier, so i raided the recycle bin and made another:D

Dscn4267.jpg

Office Bushcraft?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Filled the second stove i made up with fuel and got her going when i got home from work, boiled a third full crusader mug of water in under 3 minutes, link to a couple of videos of the stove in operation below

The camera moves away sharply at 15 seconds on the first video, there was also an awful smell of burning hair, (the wind changed direction and blew the flame onto the back of my hand):rolleyes: you can just about see the rosette appear around the edge of the can, the second video shows the stove up to speed.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
That's wholey dependant upon temperature, I have been experimenting with this type of stove for a number of years and the self compressors have difficulties when it is cold, a priming pan works a lot better
to initiate the process.

I've tested my modified design at fairly low temps for the UK (-5C) and it has lit first time every time, without a priming pan. However, at or below these temperatures I don't like using alcohol stoves at all, as it becomes difficult to light and slow burning.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
between this thread and this site http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/drink_can_stove.html i got enough info to give this a go just now. gathered a few beer cans on the walk home at 2am after all the winos went to bed and left their litter all over the streets.
i pretty much tried to follow the one over on ravenlore. it more or less works, but i dont have a good enough join between the top and bottom pieces. i will try scoring the inside lip of the top section next time and see if it helps. i am playing with the idea of making a pot stand and wind baffle also from cans. and maybe a mini pot with handle and lid? lol

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I like Waylands tut, I'll give it a go, the priming pan is a bit of a pain and the ring in the centre seems like a good idea to help with the pressure, the more pressure, the less fuel it seems to use. :D

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Ok, update: just had a go and it didn't work for me :( I messed up with the holes, when I was making the dents so I could hammer the pin through I pushed a bit too hard and it went through, making a real big hole. Ooops :)

I think I'll stick to the one I made first :D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I can get hold of mineral wool from work, does anyone know whether its worth packing the space between the outer wool and the inner? I know trangia's have this and it should act as a wick and draw more through from the centre but will it actually affect performance?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Interesting question Lithril - on first glance I'd say that adding mineral wool would reduce the amount of space in the burner and so reduce the pressure needed to form jets - it's worth a test. The next question would be; is it more efficient that way and how much less fuel can you fit in for the same sized burner?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE