Penny / Pepsi Can cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
So I needed a cooker for when I can't have an open fire, I trawled the net looking for something I could buy as a cooker and I even had a look at the hexi's but they weren't for me. I couldn't get the tablets locally and it looked like it could become pretty expensive very quickly... Not my style.

It needed to be cheap, have fuel locally and not run on wood. I remembered reading about the pepsi/coke can stove and how it was based on the trangia design. I had cooked with a trangia before and I quite liked it, simple easy and pretty quick so I went on a mission to find some plans.

Google is my friend. :D

I found the site where the can cooker had been posted but unfortunately the site had expired and the plans were no longer there. :( It was a sad moment.

I got fed up looking for the plans on other sites and as it was my day off I went over to youtube and started watching bushcrafting vids as you do, and on a whim I typed in 'can cooker' and do you know, a whole bunch of vids popped up!
Most of them were under 30 secs of a stove working but a couple showed how to make it.

I don't have any fancy electrical power tools so the cooker I finally made was an amalgamation of various cookers...

pennycooker_0172.jpg

It has an inner ring but I don't think it needs it as it's not tight in there so doesn't help create the pressure. The stove itself is two cans cut with scissors and the holes are punched in with a thin panel pin and a solid hammer.
Putting the two cans together was a little difficult and the one can bent, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

The can also needed a priming pan (a priming pan is a shallow dish that contains a splash of fuel and the cooker. The fuel is lit and heats the cooker up to create pressured gas which is lit automatically from the burning priming fuel, the burning gas then keeps the cooker hot and the pressure up until it runs out of fuel. Burning the pressurised gas conserves fuel and allows a hotter flame, greatly reducing boiling time.)

I tried using a baked bean tin, but the fit was too tight and the fuel wouldn't light, I tried adding holes but that didn't work either. I looked through the kitchen for a wider tin and came across a tuna tin, it was perfect. After a bit of trial and error I added three holes to the edge of the tin and it lit like a dream while being protected from the wind! Good :)

I needed something to hold the billy away from the top of the cooker, I tried some chicken wire but that just crumpled when I set a full pan of water on it. The vids showed a square mesh like wire but I didn't have any... apart from the grill rack... bye bye grill rack... Hello pot stand!

For your viewing pleasure:

pennycooker_0170.jpg

TL: Primer pan
TR: Pot Stand
BC: Cooker

pennycooker_0176.jpg

Assembled stove and fuel.

pennycooker_0182.jpg
pennycooker_0184.jpg

Lit and cooking

pennycooker_0188.jpg

Medium sized billy with 1 mug of water.
Three mins to roiling boil. ;)

Thank you for reading :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks very effective - and I love the photos of the boiling water and flames - difficult things to get good shots of and yours are very "painterly" artistic - crackers!
If I can ask a question (without seeming to dis your efforts and start flame wars...) why do you cover the holes in the centre?
I have seen this done before and do not understand why - would they not add flame/heat/speed to the cooking.
OK, I realise that they are your filler holes but does that stop them being used as burn jets as well?
I fancy having a go at making one of these burners, small enough to fit in a hexi burner stand (hexi as primer - any thoughts?) and I am scouring the lanes for uncrushed cans....
Great little article - keep up the DIY!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Are the holes in the middle not covered to make a crude pressure valve? So that the gases are forced out the jet holes and not the middle, unless the pressure builds up too much.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
If I can ask a question (without seeming to dis your efforts and start flame wars...) why do you cover the holes in the centre?
I have seen this done before and do not understand why - would they not add flame/heat/speed to the cooking.
OK, I realise that they are your filler holes but does that stop them being used as burn jets as well?
I fancy having a go at making one of these burners, small enough to fit in a hexi burner stand (hexi as primer - any thoughts?) and I am scouring the lanes for uncrushed cans....
Great little article - keep up the DIY!

When I make mine I don't cover the inner holes, I also make them higher up the sides so that there's a little well of meths sitting on top to help in priming.
IIRC the originalk Penny stove has a large(r) central hole but with small ones I can't see much point in covering, as you say they work as extra jets.

Smallest I've made is with 2 tea light cases, surprisingly strong for the material used, more practically a RedBull sized can as a top and a ToastToppers can as a bottom works well. There's a few threads detailing them used in crusader cookers ( but I'm at work now and don't want to open too many windows so you'll have to do your own search I'm afraid ;)

leon-1

I found the site where the can cooker had been posted but unfortunately the site had expired and the plans were no longer there. :( It was a sad moment.

Normally if you look out for the WINGS Site you can find about as many designs for making can stoves as you could want or you could use ZEN Stoves.

If I can remember then I'll try to look out some of the other sites and post addresses for them on here.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh

Well, the theory is that (especially if you've got a larger filling port) covering it turns an unpressurised stove into a slightly pressurised one. The theory being that this raises the boiling point of the fuel, so it burns more efficiently... Or something like that. I've heard tell that you can fine-tune the performance of these stoves by changing the weight of the coin you use to cover the filling port. Whether that actually works in practice or not, I couldn't say.

I expect you could spend a fair proportion of your life tweaking the design of a stove like this - varying both the jet diameter and the number of jets will affect its operating pressure and burn efficiency. Me, I just built one that worked and left it at that... ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
There's also a more serious aspect to covering larger holes, if anyone remembers the dim and distant past in chemistry, an experiment was to fill an old paint tin with gas, fit the lid lightly, which had a small hole punched into it, the gas escaping was lit, and everyone stood well back...the flame got smaller, as the gas burned off, air got into the tin, until an exposive gas air mixture was reached, the flame disappears inside the tin and bang the lid flew off....

Imagine that happening without a lid to come off..instant bomb and shrapnel.

In the newer designs they advocate rather than one big hole you make a series of small holes, as Cobweb has done seemingly the smaller holes dont allow the flame to reach inside.

As an aside I've had a two penny lift off the central holes, with the pressure build up inside, created a nice little fire ball around the pan as the escaping gas caught. :rolleyes:

A little bit of caution and some common sense is required....still its great fun, at one point I had about 20, couldnt bear to trash even the rubbish ones :eek: sad aint it.

Stephen

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ahh - so small holes are like the mesh on a Davy Lamp! This is stuff we understand in Wales!
Now searching for cans!
I just Googled "Penny Stoves" - masses of info - just what I was after - no disrespect Cobweb (I think this is what you too were looking for before you invented your own version) but this is the grail for the prospective can stove maker.
Thank you for inspiring me Charlotte!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like that, thanks Cobweb, good one :approve: Brilliant bit of lateral thinking on using the grill mesh too, that's sturdy enough not to crumple :) wish I took such in focus photos :eek:

Gailainne your point is awfully well made :eek: I'd forgotten about the paint cans in chemistry....school used to really make science come alive :lmao:

cheers,
Toddy

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I am always up for making things so I collected two 'littered' coke tins and some fibregalss from the loft. It was a but of a tussle getting the tins to go one inside the other but it looks just like the photos.

Then I tried to light it. It seemed to take ages pre-heating underneath to get enough meths boiling to make a self sustaining flame. Once lit it seemed to go OK.

Still not a patch on my wood burning hobo stove though!:D

Cheers,
Steve

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
If you make the outer can a little taller, it will be able to hold more meths when priming and a priming pan isn't needed.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, thank everyone for discussing this, and not fighting ;) :p

The penny seems to make the stove burn better, I like the idea of putting the holes up higher to create a well in the centre.. saves using a tuna tin :) if it works... :|

John I googled for pepsi can stove, I didn't think to google for penny stove :) never mind eh? by the way it's Michelle ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE