North east bushcraft weekends

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've been heavily promoting the concept of bushcraft up here in the north east among woodland and forest ranger from various local authorities in the past few months. I was demonstrating woodcraft skills recently at the Chopwell forest festival and got chatting to Sam, a ranger from Castle Morpeth Borough Council.

She was very interested in having bushcraft skills practiced in the woods she looks after. We talked for a while and established what she was hoping would come out of it. Basically she is constantly on the lookout for volunteers to help out in the woods, clearing brush and tydying up the undergrowth, as well as removing every sycamore in the woods as they are not a native hardwood and are starving the native trees of light and nutrients. They all have to come out eventually.

So I said I would put the idea to you guys and gals. The deal will go something like we did down at Chedworth earlier this year. Half a day doing some woodland voluntary work and half a day doing our own thing. Basically it's what we like doing anyway so it's hardly going to be a hardship.

I'll most probably be working the woods on my own at other times, felling unwanted trees and such so nobody from here would be expected to do any dangerous work that they might not feel comfortable with.

There's plenty of opportunity for training and workshops though, and I thought we could probably build a permanent pole lathe on site and a couple of shave horses for people to work on. There'll be tons (literally) of greenwood to make stuff from that you can take away at the end of the weekend.

This will be a working woodland experience so the minimum impact aspect of our lifestyle choice won't necessarily be as prevalent as would normally be expected. We will be chopping down trees - and for a very good reason - to let the native trees grow strong and healthy. There will be tons of sycamore to fell and quite a bit of self seeded ash to take out too. The ash is far too overcrowded but is growing tall and straight in tight clumps. It needs thinning out. However, it sounds just perfect for making longbows!

I'm going up for a good recce next week (hospital commitments permitting) and I'll get back on this thread with a full report of what it's like.

I suspect hammocks will be the best choice of accommodation as it sounds like it hasn't been worked for a very long time, so tent space might be a bit tight, however I'll let you all know by next weekend.

Sam also asked me if we'd mind if visitors came along during the weekend to see what we were doing and I told her that would be absoluitly fine with us. She also mentioned the possibility of having a sign made saying what we were doing so people walking their dogs wouldn't think we were an Al Kieda training camp :rolleyes: We can also have the usual H&S Forest operations in progress signs available to us.

So, the big question! Who's interested?

Add your names below please so I can guage the interest. This could become an ongoing opportunity to establish a really beneficial relationship with local authority rangers as well as helping promote bushcraft as we practice it to a wider audience.

Fingers crossed,

Eric

Reactions: Toddy

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Hi mate. Looks like you've done it again ;) I'd be up for some of that, and i've just asked Nathan too and he'd love to help out.

Dave

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Eric,
I got really excited when you said local authority Rangers and the north-east. Then I realised you meant north-east England. Pity as I live in north-east Scotland (the real north-east of course!)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Eric_Methven said:
Cheers mate, sorry I've not been in touch, couldn't get you any willow from anywhere. Wrong time of year for cutting.

Eric

Don't worry about it, the 6 lambs have turned into numerous lambs and a few ewes (or yaws as they call em up here) and a 'tup' so we've progressed from the willow to that other really environmentally sound fencing, galvanised steel sheep hurdles :rolleyes:

Good luck with the project for the woods and divn't laugh too much. :lmao:

Cya soon

Dave

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'll post a separate thread when I sort dates out and all the other details. This will be an ongoing opportunity, so if people can't make the first one, there'll be plenty of other chances.

Eric

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Eric_Methven said:
Any of you Scottish members fancy a run south of the border?

Eric

Hi Eric, i would love to come as Morpeth is only a stones throw from here,but the only thing is that i work most weekends, and i take it you would be looking for people to be there most weekends. But if i can get some time off now and again i would be up for it, if thats any good?.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Weekends would be the best option, and would fit in with what the ranger has in mind, but I'll most likely be working the woods in a forester capacity during the week (from time to time) as well. There's no reason why anyone who fancied it couldn't come during the week.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've an aunt living in Morpeth, might be time for a visit :D
Sounds good Eric, very well done on the breaking the ice and getting this off the ground.
Cheers,
Toddy

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I'll do my best to help out, if I can make it, Eric. I don't seen to have had much time to get away at all this year, and I've just noticed it's nearly August already!

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi Eric,

Sounds like a great weekend to me, would love to come if the dates work out. Just working in the woods sounds great, nevermind being able to play a bit too :D

scoops_uk

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for all the interest so far people. I'll sort some dates out as soon as I find out more. There'll be plenty of opportunity for weekends right through the winter as well, as that's when I'll be doing most of the felling. By next spring we should have a really decent woods in which to work and play, with lots of material to make stuff from.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE