Placing a Static

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Friend has a field and is thinking of uses for it.

I am currently in need of a nesting box.

So, we are both looking into permission for just one, respectfully presented static van.

So far;

-Electricity and septic tank on hand
-Not in village conservation zone.
-She is going to stress to the council importance of let for local tourist trade staff.
-Oh, yeah, its going to be just one!
-she knows stuff (and folks)

Have any of you any ideas? Experiences? Suggestions??

(This is in Scotland, BTW)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Keeping it dry and mould free is an issue. Decent foundations are essential.
If you have electricity available, then a desiccant dehumidifier ( Meaco, Zambezi) is worth the money. It takes out moisture, moves the air and gives out gentle heat. It's a win/win.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You'll have to check for Scotland, but here you don't need planning permission if it can be moved, does not have mains utilities (water, electric etc.) and is not used for 12 months of the year.

As soon as you plumb in (mains) water and electricity it is considered to be permanent and requires planning permission.

I have a shepherd's hut in the wood. I am allowed it without planning permission because I am allowed to provide shelter and overnight accommodation for 'workers in the wood' for the working season. No-one has defined 'the season' but everyone agrees it's not 12 months. It's also on wheels so can (theoretically) be moved. Water is supplied from a tank further up hill, it has solar 12v power, and a detached composting loo :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Scotland law wise is very different to the UK Tengu - I think any advice you may gather here from well meaning England based perspective would need to be checked over very carefully - as such I suggest you approach the Scottish authorities and check directly to ensure you have the correct info.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A quick google suggests you need to google more!

Scotland, for instance, the planning permission for static caravans is managed by the local authorities. You will need to check with them directly for specific information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was thinking more about planning permission really.

Sorry, that's a 'phone the local council planning dept and ask for help' kind of thing.

The Council Planning Dept are surprisingly helpful.

The other thing to do is to ask the local Councillor. Again, they're inclined to be helpful.

And, yes, Scottish law is not English/Welsh law.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Agree that the council / local councillor is the best place to start.

It can be a minefield considering you may have to apply for a "change of use" permission depending on the site. It is always best to get off on the right foot with the council from the outset otherwise they can make the task impossible.

Local councillors in rural Scotland still hold regular surgeries where they meet members of the public. All of this info is available online, email contacts from the council website and surgery dates and times from the councillors own web page.

Some councillors may be more sympathetic than others! A little local knowledge should point you in the right direction ...

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Perhaps councils in England are a bit different but I would not trust their advice. It would be worth you finding out what your rights are before having a chat so you know when the council might not be being entirely honest. There must be various groups in
Scotland that publish advice?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Up here the Planning Dept really don't want to end up in a snarl over something that could have been sorted out at the very beginning by folks just having a conversation. They're really not interested in having to involve lawyers.
They're busy, but not so busy that they won't reply.
The rules are pretty straightforward, and the Planning Dept. folks are helpful.
All it takes is a phone call.

The local councillors have regular surgeries, ours do so weekly, but in different parts of their Ward. Again, they're helpful. It's their job.

Check the local council website for the relevant stuff....
this is from mine on the topic....

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Here in England I once knew a couple who lived permanently in a yurt on a piece of land that they owned. Their “permanent address” however was that of a friend close by who kept a room nominally as theirs. They did occasionally overnight there so that their answers to questions (If asked) could be factually correct.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
All the local planning regulations will be online, probably Perth & Kinross I’m guessing?

As for the van, I’d say the must haves are double glazing and a central heating system.
My tin tent abode has neither. Putting the wood burner in improved things but from November till about now it’s permanently on, can’t afford to let it go out as the temp plummets very, very quickly, the insulation in them is quite pathetic and not designed for year round use. At a rough guess I burn at least 8mC a winter, so quite a bit of processing involved. The winter is quite hard work.

The incoming mains water pipe needs to be 1m deep to stop it freezing and very well insulated coming up from that into the van. Like wise adding insulation under the van will help stop the pipe runs from freezing. The addition of a skirt, over the gap between the ground & the van will also help, and stop animals, just have a few holes to allow ventilation! Also leave an access point to enable any under van repairs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE