No gear challenge Autumn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
He has you know... what do you think he keeps in those size 14s?!?!?

Ahhh... we're onto you now Mick!!!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm beginning to suspect you took the 3 external batteries for your phone so you could play online poker!

Are you playing online poker on your no gear weekend?? :p

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers for all the sympathy boys! I have a small fire going. Looking to get it much better. Found some litter to start up including but of twine to use and plastic to burn. And plenty of hay to start my fire. Anyone fancies dropping me a few cans in I'll upload GPS cods

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That'd be cheating Mick... besides, you had your chance to invite me... but ooooh nooooo.... mighty Mick had to do the challenge alone!!!!

:p This is too much fun, you should do this every week. Made my night this has!!!!!!! :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That'd be cheating Mick... besides, you had your chance to invite me... but ooooh nooooo.... mighty Mick had to do the challenge alone!!!!

:p This is too much fun, you should do this every week. Made my night this has!!!!!!! :D

Dewi you have an open invite to join me for a no gear event! Glad I'm keeping you entertained though I have some pretty serious blisters. Flat laces. Couldn't use them for a firebow

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
In all seriousness... how've you done for water/food?

Not sure to recommend for the blisters... maybe someone knows something natural to put on it?? I know vinegar works, but you're unlikely to find that where you are.

And you may regret the open invite... I'll take you up on it you know!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
In all seriousness... how've you done for water/food?

Not sure to recommend for the blisters... maybe someone knows something natural to put on it?? I know vinegar works, but you're unlikely to find that where you are.
I have some berry and mushroom sources set for tomorrow and have promising snares. Fairly experienced trapper though. Have several tin cans to boil up and have found a small burn for water. Blisters I'm looking at using bear grills patented isotonic sports drink! Rancid but hardens the skin

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
lol nooooooo!

Thinking about it, cooling down a blister works to sooth the itch.... soak a dock leaf in cold water maybe? Apply it for short periods?

No doubt you'll catch in the snares... its gathering season... have you put any up in the trees to take advantage of our grey nut-bearing friends?

Main thing is get yourself off the ground... even if only a couple of inches... you'll be a hell of a lot warmer overnight!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Grab some dock leaves and crush them up and use the released 'milk' on the blisters

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
it's just soothing on any flesh wounds especially if there is itching related to it

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I knew it was good for stings... probably one of the things most people know about nettle and the like... but interesting to know it works on other things as well.

Mick, just been thinking, aloud as I usually do... you always carry a lighter on you, and in a survival situation you wouldn't discard the lighter... its not cheating to use what you have on you.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
You are doing well Mick, keep posting, this is better than the telly tonight.

Don't fret about the blisters, they are not causing me any discomfort at all :p

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
What lighter Dewi? Haha. Steph has that in the car and I can only imagine is finishing my bottle and laughing like a maniac. I was basically kidnapped you see. Fire is away nicely and have foraged some bits of PU for a temporary shelter and will improve in the morning. Also scraped some bits and Bob's together to lie down on. Might have more scout around though before I bed down the wether is good and I'm feeling good about the whole thing.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
This time of year you want to be off the ground... even if its an uncomfortable bed, it'll be warmer than being on the ground. Unless you've got plenty of insulation... but I don't see you stripping a tree.

Long fire, bed off the ground and some sort of lean to... you'll be okay for the night... but maybe thats a task for tomorrow... meanwhile dock leaves... sooth that itchiness and try and get some sleep. You'll be up early with the morning dew!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A few bags of rubbish will do nicely for a bed tonight. They've actually put me in a nice usable area (will upload pics when I have Wi-Fi) lucky in the fact it's a mild night but I'm not banking on that tomorrow.
I've managed to overload and smoother my small fire but ember is easy to get to flame not too concerned. Huge amount of usable things here, an old sheep dip very near me to shelter in tomorrow, not taking huge risks on other things roundabout. Found an old lucozade bottle to have a crack at a rat trap for food along with a bucket (hole in it) big amounts of scrap and what looks like an old duvet that I can cover in leaves and twigs for a better bed

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Concentrating on getting some kip and scoping the area for tonight though. Not so bothered about sleep in a way I can always nap

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Well, goodnight Mick,hope you have a comfortable one.

Just to show some kindred spirit and to let you know we are all with you I am not going to my bed tonight.

I'll rough it on the sofa and share your hardship.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Joking aside... admire what you're doing Mick... have a good kip and let us know in the morning how its gone.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Well, goodnight Mick,hope you have a comfortable one.

Just to show some kindred spirit and to let you know we are all with you I am not going to my bed tonight.

I'll rough it on the sofa and share your hardship.
Thank ye kindly! Looking at trying to make this a group thing at some point

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE