No gear challenge, Autumn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
It's got to be easier to keep a journal as you go as you say, it'll save battery power, gets my vote

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It's got to be easier to keep a journal as you go as you say, it'll save battery power, gets my vote

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If I can find a way to use a pencil and notepad for survival, I need a tv show lol

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If I can find a way to use a pencil and notepad for survival, I need a tv show lol

Pencil sharpener is great for shaving wee sticks into shavings for fire starting. Some have a magnesium body that can be shaved for fire starting again. Usefull thing a pencil sharpener. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Pencil sharpener is great for shaving wee sticks into shavings for fire starting. Some have a magnesium body that can be shaved for fire starting again. Usefull thing a pencil sharpener. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
Good point well made GB! Biro it is then! On that subject. Actually came across an advert for a tactical pen! How on earth can a pen be tactical?!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If you want to sell something. Put the words, tactical, bushcraft or survival in front of it and paint it black, olive green or orange. Job done

I tried that with one of the kids... he didn't sell :(

If you want to do a proper journal... replace that notepad with a GoPro... film the whole experience from a 1st person perspective... then edit and upload to YouTube... you'll be an instant hit :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've been tempted actually. My bro in law has an EE action cam (very similar) I've toyed with the idea of video blogging some of my exploits, just didn't know if they would be of interest. After my reception here I think it may be!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Have a lash... doesn't matter if the footage isn't brilliant and you always have the option to store the footage if you're not happy with it... all happens in the edit :)

I'd watch it... as I'm sure many here would... its a fascinating situation and something we're all obviously interested in.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Have a lash... doesn't matter if the footage isn't brilliant and you always have the option to store the footage if you're not happy with it... all happens in the edit :)

I'd watch it... as I'm sure many here would... its a fascinating situation and something we're all obviously interested in.

That's a point like, Definately for the winter one because I imagine that's going to be a week. Then I'll at least have some interesting footage.
Good to know I would have a viewership here. To be honest I only started writing about them for my own reference and seems like people enjoy my mental ramblings lol

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
wow, sounds like an amasing experience, i certainly wouldn't have the stones to do it! Kudos to you!

If you do decide to video any of it, i'd be a viewer!

Also, new around here and trying to get used to the forums, if anybody can point me in the direction of the report from your last no gear experience, i'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
wow, sounds like an amasing experience, i certainly wouldn't have the stones to do it! Kudos to you!

If you do decide to video any of it, i'd be a viewer!

Also, new around here and trying to get used to the forums, if anybody can point me in the direction of the report from your last no gear experience, i'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Once you've learned a bit and practiced your skills honestly give it a crack.
I'm looking at videoing it actually but battery life may be an issue, certainly photographing more and maybe a few segment videos.
Give me 2 ticks and I'll see if I can pm you a link or bump the thread buddy

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just a quick FYI on the winter edition coming up after this (probably January 2016) there's been an idea flung at me. Since the community at large here knows what makes survival easier, we also know what makes it harder. So you fine people will have the opportunity to try to kill me! Will be open to suggestions, are you going to drop me in a snow covered moor in Hawaiian shorts and a t-shirt? Drop me barefoot? Drop me at midnight in a snow storm? Up for something really challenging so don't be inclined to be kind. I'll take safety gear with me on that one if I deem it dangerous mind you just in case. And check in regularly. But go nuts!

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Just a quick FYI on the winter edition coming up after this (probably January 2016) there's been an idea flung at me. Since the community at large here knows what makes survival easier, we also know what makes it harder. So you fine people will have the opportunity to try to kill me! Will be open to suggestions, are you going to drop me in a snow covered moor in Hawaiian shorts and a t-shirt? Drop me barefoot? Drop me at midnight in a snow storm? Up for something really challenging so don't be inclined to be kind. I'll take safety gear with me on that one if I deem it dangerous mind you just in case. And check in regularly. But go nuts!

Mick, I admire your courage mate. You wouldn't catch me going up Snowdon in my speedo's!! :lmao:

Seriously though if it does start getting a bit mental you might want to think about having an 'observer' there who can't (and won't) help you out unless you need medical attention. If you find yourself in a tricky spot and the likes of hypothermia kick in your reduced decision making abilities and lack of dexterity could cause you a lot of bother.

Not that I doubt your abilities or anything! :p

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mick, I admire your courage mate. You wouldn't catch me going up Snowdon in my speedo's!! :lmao:

Seriously though if it does start getting a bit mental you might want to think about having an 'observer' there who can't (and won't) help you out unless you need medical attention. If you find yourself in a tricky spot and the likes of hypothermia kick in your decision making abilities and lack of dexterity could cause you a lot of bother.

Not that I doubt your abilities or anything! :p

Maybe not as extreme as Speedos! But I like a challenge

I've thought about a spotter actually. Someone to check in and make sure I'm ok. Even using a radio maybe to do checks and have them physically close by. Sure Damien won't mind coming along in our normal snow kit if I need someone physically close by and he knows his stuff.

Next stop Sahara desert eh ;) I wish!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE