My garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Seems a bit unfair to want to restrict land sales to foreigners as we do not. The owners of a neighbouring wood to our bit of woodland are in Canada. Not getting into politics but the EU does seem lopsided sometimes. However, lovely spot and the hard work is paying off beautifully.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Just two words: deep envy!

Very well done. Looking forward to seeing it when the work has finished.

Am I the only person now thinking "Hmm, working holiday in Lithuania...?" :)

You're the most welcome! :) In fact quite a lot of people come to spend a few days or a week and help me out. As a matter of fact, with a little more planning there could be some great workshops to be held: timber frame building, cob walls, stone masonry...

Seems a bit unfair to want to restrict land sales to foreigners as we do not. The owners of a neighbouring wood to our bit of woodland are in Canada. Not getting into politics but the EU does seem lopsided sometimes. However, lovely spot and the hard work is paying off beautifully.

yep i agree. we're to follow the same rules all around EU. BUT, only when the income and land price would be more or less the same we could play a fair game, todays market value of the land is incredibly cheap to you and very expensive to us. Anyway, that is another topic ;)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I saw the thread title and your name and I didn't want to open it because I knew I would be jealous.

I am speechless with admiration for what you have done, what you plan to do and the way you have done it.

What a fabulous place.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi Milius, Hope you don't me asking but do you have any experience with building stone houses ? ..........there are rules to be followed & that photo of the house so far does look a little ....mmmmm how can I put it, Haphazard? looks like to me that it is only the cement holding it together. Each stone should lock into the other like in a dry stone wall......I'm not sure you if you have layed a foundation, doesn't look it, so with the movement of the earth & successive droughts & heavy rain, the walls will crack, slip & eventually fall if there is only the cement conecting the stones. Also the parts of a house recieving & lot pressure such as the corners, door ways & window openings, larger square cut stones are traditionally used for stability & strength.
I hope you've planned for the lintels above the openings too, either in wood or a single long stone.

I like the fence too, nice piece of work.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Very nice looking. I'm very jealous. Are you going to put fish in the pond or wait for them to come by themselves?:)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi Milius, Hope you don't me asking but do you have any experience with building stone houses ? ..........there are rules to be followed & that photo of the house so far does look a little ....mmmmm how can I put it, Haphazard? looks like to me that it is only the cement holding it together. Each stone should lock into the other like in a dry stone wall......I'm not sure you if you have layed a foundation, doesn't look it, so with the movement of the earth & successive droughts & heavy rain, the walls will crack, slip & eventually fall if there is only the cement conecting the stones. Also the parts of a house recieving & lot pressure such as the corners, door ways & window openings, larger square cut stones are traditionally used for stability & strength.
I hope you've planned for the lintels above the openings too, either in wood or a single long stone.

I see what you mean and I understand the risks involved. This is my first foundation, but a few pro's had a look and they said it's fine. Underground there is deep foundation, about 4 feet and over the ground we tried to follow the rules you described, but to be fair, not everywhere we knew " the best thing to do" so we just followed intuition. This is only the foundation to the house, I'm too poor to build a whole house from stone as this is some very expensive building material... :D imagine that??
The rest of the house will be traditional clay-sand-straw mix layed into round wood frame. The cheapest eco friendly building material. For centuries people built homes and barns from this mix and I'm to follow this tradition ;)

JohnC - indeed it is. just a few years back it was an abandoned place, now life takes place and form takes shapes... very nice. The local community is excited about it too, something different after many years of "not much" happening :D :D

Niels - There were some tiny fish from the start, they live in the canal that was there. But I'm introducing fish there also, speeding up the process and should have first fish to eat in about 2 years. Not too big, but nice when fried on a pan ;) Species are diverse from friendly to predatory for them to decide who likes my pond. :)

Stringmaker - yep, I knew you'd like it :) few ideas for yourself maybe??

Big Stu - wish you just that mate! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used to live in a house like that (mud & straw) - we call it "cob" where I come from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_(material)

Very well insulated - but needs to be kept warm with a fire burning or it suffered from damp. I used to light the range about now (September) and it went out in May. It was alight all the time between those points. Nice material to work with though!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
These posts of yours are some of the coolest I read; I find them heartwarming and you describe what you're doing very well...............a very nice vibe to it all. The best of good fortune in your endeavours and please keep us up to date with your progress..............................atb mac

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
These posts of yours are some of the coolest I read; I find them heartwarming and you describe what you're doing very well...............a very nice vibe to it all. The best of good fortune in your endeavours and please keep us up to date with your progress..............................atb mac

+1 to that. Well said.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Its threads like this that make me happy to have a Lithuanian connection. The countryside is so clean. My mrs is from LT. We're based in the UK at the moment but looking to move to Lithuania to live in the country. Thank you for the inspiration and 'sekmes' with your work!

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I used to live in a house like that (mud & straw) - we call it "cob" where I come from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_(material)

Very well insulated - but needs to be kept warm with a fire burning or it suffered from damp. I used to light the range about now (September) and it went out in May. It was alight all the time between those points. Nice material to work with though!

Yep. So I plan larger windows facing south and we do have a lot drier climate (have only seen a few rainy days this summer). But damp might be a problem... we'll see.

Cheers Mac, I just follow a good tradition of this community :)

beautiful Andy, you are living the dream!

Thanks, you're doing so also! :D :D good luck in Norway.

Its threads like this that make me happy to have a Lithuanian connection. The countryside is so clean. My mrs is from LT. We're based in the UK at the moment but looking to move to Lithuania to live in the country. Thank you for the inspiration and 'sekmes' with your work!

Hehe, aint ya lucky man?! :D "ACIU" and greetings to your wife. I live around Vilkaviskis, so if you will be nearby let us know ;)

AND thanks everyone for your kind words ;) it makes me proud! :D

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Amazing job there Andy, can't wait to see more.
Keep up the good work, and boy does that workshop enriched working holiday sound tempting XD shame I do not have the time atm, else I would have loved to help the process ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hello, good to be back!
Sorry for not posting for some time now, the things that was going on was not on the subject a lot :D But I'm back with some little upgrade to my garden. Now I have managed to build a storage which I wanted for so long. It is so good to have a roof over for storing materials and equipment while working in this silly wheater we have most of the time.

10488390_10204021923138683_968860960282078177_n.jpg

You can see my old tractor stored there, it's quite spacious measuring 10 meters by 8 meters.

10433096_10204021922418665_1015619904791901842_n.jpg

The design I borrowed from a friend of mine, but erected the whole building from round timbers. It costed me next to nothing as most of this wood was sold as uncut firewood. The 6 meter lenghs I gathered myself 2 years back from a local wood. I was not picky on the roofing materials too, got the shiffer from a local school that is changing the roof, but when I have sufficient funds I would like to change that.
10479179_10204021925778749_9071804586295005067_n.jpg

The most difficult part was to get the framing joints flush with each, this is one of the better examples how it should look. Although not all is that neat :)

10303813_10204021924898727_2107740808047653736_n.jpg

This storage gave me a chance to try round timber for building materials and I'm very glad I did. It certainly needs a good axe and a steady hand to frame the joints but the result is well worth it! :)

10486114_10204021923338688_7162809810171075709_n.jpg

Hope you like ;)

Andy

did I say it's good to be back?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE