Is it a stick?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Started whittling a Hazel stick earlier with no particular project or outcome in mind, but looking at the shape of the stick as i was carving away my senile ol' mind could see a familiar shape, a little while later, ta daaaa - a Pipefish.

53644691346_ae1fc091bf_c.jpg

Im tempted to get my late fathers paints out and paint this one as the shape and feel is quite pleasing, there again, i might just leave it be as im useless at painting :smile:

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Loving your random carving. :coffee2:
(Obviously it deserves a smiley face in a cup as an emoji, i didn't know it was a thing, but thanks bcuk)

Reactions: Kepis

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My stick whittling looks just like a barkless pointed stick, not sharp just pointed as i tend to blunted it every knife shave. You should see my knife sharpened pencils, they're awful!

If you are aimlessly whittling and still get something recognisable representation of something then I wonder what you'd produce if you consciously carve something.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now that’s what I call whittling.
The fish was always in there. Well done for finding it.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
My stick whittling looks just like a barkless pointed stick, not sharp just pointed as i tend to blunted it every knife shave. You should see my knife sharpened pencils, they're awful!

If you are aimlessly whittling and still get something recognisable representation of something then I wonder what you'd produce if you consciously carve something.
It's strange you know, if i set out to carve a particular thing, by which i mean, fish, bird, animal, i usually struggle, like the other day, i had some really nice bits of Hazel with side branches, ah me thinks Stick Chickens, i've carved loads of them before, but this whole lot didn't happen and are all now in the bin, whereas just seeing what happens brings results like an adhoc stick chicken will just kind of happen.

I do also end up with lots of smaller diameter sticks and big piles of fine shavings too, i quite enjoy carving a stick and giving it a highly faceted finish, then I make it smooth by fine carving, then carve it into an octagonal section then carve it round and smooth again, before long you have a big pile of shavings and a couple of cocktail sticks. ;)

Reactions: Paul_B and Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE