Moon light

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

We've had some nice well lit nights lately, almost like it's daylight, sometimes even when it's cloudy.
Tonight the moon is out and bright (no clouds), but it's not really lighting up the ground, why?

Atmospheric conditions?
Does the moon have certain times it lighs up the ground better than others, and are these predictable?

Thanks for the insight

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's waning and the angle's wrong.
I was out gardening in the dark a few nights ago when it was full. It's arc then was higher than that of the Sun's during the day.
It was a beautiful night:D

cheers,
Toddy

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I think the rain has washed all of the atmospheric particles out of the air, that's why it seems so bright, the winter tends to have crisper light anyway 'cause of the cold!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep :) you need a Lunar almanac. The lunar calender only gives the fullness of the Moon, but the almanac ought to give the (I think) declination.
The US navy used to provide an online one. I'll see if I can find the link.

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
If you use Windows 7, not sure about Vista, there are plenty of gadgets for moon, the one I use displays what it is in real time, and you can if you wish also call up the various bits of info, declination etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE