Mark an Matt's Birch Tar Experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Me an Matt decided to have a crack at producing some Birch Tar this mornin........

This is how we did it.

We got an old cirular metal roadsign and beat it into a dish shape, put a hole in the centre about 5 mm wide.

An old empty can of sweetcorn with a nail sized hole in the top was used to hold the Bark, and an old pan from the rangers office used to recieve the tar.

The circular sign was placed over the pan, and the can of Birch bark (We only used the outer), placed opening down, and a little sand placed around the can to make a seal.

A fire was lit around the can, we had a little fire going anyway, so we stacked the embers on and around the can, then placed some dry wood around to make the fire go.

We then toddled of for a brew......................

Niether of us had done this before, and we where working to a half remembered model i had in my head.....................................

Here are some pics...................

05052008201.jpg

The road sign and can covered with embers.

05052008202.jpg

After about 20 mins to half an hour we went back and took a peek............................to both our amazement we had Birch Tar......................

05052008203.jpg

05052008204.jpg

As this was only an experiment we didn't expect much, and out of 1 average 400ml can of Birch bark, we got about 30mls of Tar.

05052008205.jpg

05052008206.jpg

The Bark left inside the tin had gone almost like charcoal, very carbonised.

05052008208.jpg

05052008210.jpg

This was the tar painted onto a piece of pine.

Not a bad experiment really, an all in all it took about an hour or so from start to finish.

Mark:beerchug:

Mang

Settler
Thanks for this timely demo. I'm going to do it on our Cub camp for the first time next month and use the evenings camp fire to do it in. It always seems a fairly foolproof operation (he says).

I've got a large treacle tin and a half size baked bean tin for it and like you two, I'm just doing it to say that I have. The leftover bark was interesting, did you try it as to light it as charcoal afterwards by chance?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE