Latest projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I've had a mad couple of weekends practising making items from materials gathered in the woods and countryside, that would be handy for obtaining, collecting, and cooking food. Trying to maintain all the skills in Bushcraft as well as normal responsibilities can be a bit tricky, but I'm always chipping away at them.

Bow drill set on the day

Brewing up coffee

Making a Bundle bow with Hazel and Elm bark. Inner para cord for the string.

Fish trap. I finished off the gaps with willow over the Hazel, but the next one will be woven with brambles over a Hazel frame.

Cordage. Nettle and Willow. I used Lime and Elm too as I ran out.
This type of fish trap required a ridiculous amount of it. Weaving requires hardly any so thats the way to go I reckon

Spoons
One done out of a bow drill hearth using embers

...and a few others

and lastly a foraging basket made out of Iris and catail. Not all that sturdy though once dryed. Worth a shot though.

Loads more to do over the next two weeks like more flint knapping and arrows, a bark quiver, wild food practice, deer butchery, shelters, sleeping out with minimal kit and probably a few dozen spoons while I have the chance.
Its like being a big kid!

Addo :)

Last edited:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hey,

That baskets pretty cool. It may not be sturdy when it dries out but it's certainly useful if you are out and need a quick short term basket... like if you pop to Lidl in wales during bushmoot and haven't brought your own bag... :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I was thinking of taking it to Morrisons once the handle was fitted. Be ok for the fruit and veg I reckon :D

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I've a lot to learn on baskets.
Had a good chat with a lady at the Chatsworth show about using hedgerow materials and traditional weaving patterns, so going to plod on with those some more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE