Projects for my Adventures in the Iron Age.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its the New Year, and in March I will be returning to The Scottish Iron Age and gainful employment.

(I used to be a Lady of Leisure but now I just have fun).

So, making out a list of things I will need to make, adapt or get to take with me.

Its two pages long! Ill start tomorrow.

Reactions: Smudge

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
You'll need a load of sinew, some ironstone (of whatever variety), cordage of various sorts and sizes & as much leather / skins as you can get. Take a camera too, so we can follow... ;)

Reactions: Smudge

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That’s great - what do you do in connection with the Iron Age? Intrigued.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Currently I do the same kind of thing at Castell Henllys Iron Age fort in West Wales - but I retire at the end of March... Basically I I dress in repro Iron Age kit and demo fire lighting and cordage making, talk about Iron Age society, architecture, warfare, culture and the history of our site - a real Iron Age fort with the round houses etc rebuilt on the footprint of the original roundhouses as found during the 27 year long archaeological dig. I the summer I also ran "Ancestral Skills" sessions - Flint and Steel fire lighting, nettle cordage making, stone tool/ornament making including drilling stone using Bow Drill techniques and a bit of foraging .... AKA "Bushcraft intro" sessions!
They call it work (and they do pay "The Living Wage") - but to me it is just great fun!
We also do a bit of Stone Age and Viking stuff for visiting school groups but I really stick with the Iron Age :)
I recently sold a large part of the "Stone Age" artifacts I have made to the Community Archaeologist for the Pembs Coast National Parc ... but kept back enough to run a pretty good session myself.
I have visited the Crannog Centre in the past and plan to visit again (once retired) and I may even pitch up in full Demetae costume... :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The list is getting longer and longer...

Sinew might be a good idea. Use it for binding, as the artificial wont shrink.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I doubt this is news but do you use raw hide - available in quantity from pet shops? Unrolling a little stick chew provides a thong that I can use to bind a split flute while wet and it shrinks tight as it dries

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE