Projects for my Adventures in the Iron Age.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We usually demonstrate fire by friction for the Iron age, but we do know of iron strikers....thing is though, there's not a lot of flint in Scotland.
On the whole if you find flint in Scotland, someone took it there, it was a trade item.

We have a lot of good chert though, and good chert is at least as good as middling quality flint. We also have bloodstone and pitchstone on Arran....but again, it's a fair walk with it.

The flint we do know of comes from a site at Den of Boddum, in Aberdeenshire.

We also have some sea washed pebbles along the west coast that have come across from Antrim. By the time the sea's done with them though, the flint is often not so good.

Basically, fire by friction's easier to explain to folks, besides, it works, and it looks interesting, it's engaging, and most are up for a shot at it :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I demmo flint and steel though also show how locally available Quartz is almost as good as flint for sparking - and that friction fire is hard work in damp conditions! I use a repro of a Roman steel (made for me by Mr Budd of this parish) and sell the sets I make (with old file strikers) through the on site shop :)

Reactions: forrestdweller

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
IMG_7119.JPG

Some of my leatherwork tools need sheaths

IMG_7121.JPG

As do my spears...shafts coming later

IMG_7123.JPG

Friend got a me a kuksa for my birthday

Ill probably give a new thong and decorate later

IMG_7124.JPG

Ive cleaned uo my arrows ready to put new fletchings on

IMG_7126.JPG

This is my shammy shirt I mane last year...will probably make some trews to match.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Righty;

Ive found some interesting bits of hazel...should a Shillelagh have the bark on or off?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I don’t think there are any rules. My Irish grandfather called his walking stick a shillelagh. It was a normal walking stick with a knob handle. The touristy ones are like hammers and have their bark intact but I doubt one of those was used in anger.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's another thread running on the subject of Shillelaghs, however they have been traditionally made of oak, crab, blackthorn, ash, hazel and willow.

Reactions: SoldierPalmer

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes thats me. Ive found a couple of interesting hazel trimmings; one looks more like a staff than a cudgel though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE