Land Rover Roof Rack Extension

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi, I have a Land Rover Defender 110 with a standard roof rack occupied with full lenght roof box etc. I would like to extend the roof rack over the bonnet so that we can use a roof tent. Anyone have any advice?

Cheers,

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'd run a google for roof tents, I seem to think the ones I've seen don't require the rack to be extended as they have sort of telescopic fold out legs.
You might also try asking over on the land rover forums.

Cheers,

Dave

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Don;t have any advice Julius, but I'd like to know how you get on with the roof rack in your Landy. I'm thinking of getting a Brownchurch model for my 90, but have concerns about fuel consumption and getting into multi-storey car parks! How do you get on with yours? Has it ever got in the way? Does it seriously affect fuel consumption?

Cheers, Mat

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
My parents run a 110 with roof rack and there ability to use car parks is resticted. The main problems is the height restriction bars on outdoor ones, they dont tend to use multi story anyway due to its length. Fuel economy hasnt really changed, rather than being brick shapped its now brick shapped and a bit higher ;)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I can't even get into the council car park next to my canoe club with an empty rack on the discovery, let alone carrying the boats! I now have to use my wifes "ordinary" car for the weekly canoeing trips :(

Dave

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have a Brownchurch full length roof rack on my 110, the build quality is second to none, they are most definatly not the cheapest on the market but imo the very best.

I would suggest talking to them as they specialize in racks and roof tents, they do actually make a bumper to bumper rack.

They are based in Leyton East London, sorry I dont have their number and have'nt got time to search for it right now, but I am sure that Google will find it for you. :)

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
julius Chaesar said:
Hi, I have a Land Rover Defender 110 with a standard roof rack occupied with full lenght roof box etc. I would like to extend the roof rack over the bonnet so that we can use a roof tent. Anyone have any advice?

Cheers,
Hi,
If you want to keep all your kit on the roofrack, and, carry a roof tent you will have to do some sort of mod.
Depending on which tent you go for, you may have to cut away the front bar so that the floor of the rack is accessible. Then, what I would do, to avoid driving around with a huge roofrack all the time would be to make a frame that can stripped down when travelling.
I'd weld two pieces of box section on to the rack side,on the inside. Then you could insert the support sections for your tent. These would protrude as far as the bumper where your verticalls would be slotted into place. Have a ladder in the middle, mounted on the bumper. I don't know your set up inside the load area, but you'll have to carry some planks of ply wood for the floor to sleep on, which would also be attatched by quick release pins, or locating lugs.

This sounds massively complicated but the picture in my mind is clear, I just can't draw on this computer!!
Or, if you want to have a permenant structure, you can either mount your veticalls on the bumper and do a straight forward extention with box section, or have diagonal supports coming from the bulkhead/windscreen hinges. This may not give you enough space for a tent. Ideally you would remove some kit from the top and put it inside so that you can have enough room up top for your tent.
The rear is another option where you can get tents that provide support with their ladders. There are alo ones that hang over the side and are supported with poles. But I think this means you just sleep on the floor like a normal tent.
There shouldn't be too much weight up top because of the centre of gravity, so re-arranging your gear on the roofrack might help you to find space for your tent without doing anything.

Julian.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
You do have to be careful with how much you put on the roof. At billing, i was chatting about this with my mate, and he actually designs the roof racks for land rover. While parked up there is the strength to take the weight, but you would be shocked at the limit's under dynamic loading. A freelander will take 75 kilo max when being driven, before it becomes unstable. The biggie's - defenders are at about 100-150kg driven. The roof rack will eat up a huge chunk of that. The Tent will take another chunk out of it. I would be a bit concerned about how much more you put up there. Just a thought. You may want to put the tent on the standard rack you have, and accept that you have a bit less space... Most of the expedition ones seem to have a tent and a couple of jerry cans and thats about it...

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Mat said:
Don;t have any advice Julius, but I'd like to know how you get on with the roof rack in your Landy. I'm thinking of getting a Brownchurch model for my 90, but have concerns about fuel consumption and getting into multi-storey car parks! How do you get on with yours? Has it ever got in the way? Does it seriously affect fuel consumption?

Cheers, Mat
Hi Mat,
Brownchurch roofracks were, for a while, known to be the best and in my opinon they still are, as Chopper says. Today, however, there are many more lightweight versions to go for but they are more expensive. There is the Safety Devices ones which are more stream line and sit lower than Brownchurch, and other ones like Howling Moon which are made of aluminum.
I don't think they'll last as long as a Brownchurch or be as versitile. But I have to say, if I had a 90, then I might try to go for something a bit lighter. For a 110 however, it's Brownchurch all the way.
My rack has definitely made a difference on fuel consumption and there is no way I can get into any carparks at all except for outdoor ones with no barriers. It's worse because I've got heavy duty suspension, raising the vehicle slightly. Handling is something that I'm used to and I don't carry too much gear up there. Awning, to roll out, hi-lift, second spare,sand ladders on sides, and jerry cans if I can't fit them inside. Otherwise I sleep on it when I go camping. You can feel the weight but it is no disadvantage other than fuel and having to work slightly harder when going up long hills.
If you do go for Brownchurch, it won't let you down.

Julian.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
julius Chaesar said:

Cheers,
Standard British number plates are 110mm deep. Land Rover Bumpers are 100mm deep. this leaves 10mm of unsuported perspex sticking up above the top of the bumper. Glue a bit of 10mm batten behind this unsupported bit of numberplate or you'll crack the plate by standing on it while using the bumper as a step on the way up to the roof rack. Trust me, no matter how careful you are, this will happen sooner or later.....

Better still, mount the number plate to the panel below the radiator grille. The panel's aluminium, so it's easy to drill mounting holes. Don't know why Land Rover didn't fit them there in the first place.

Just remembered that Td5 Defenders have little vents in the panel below the grille. What are they for?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE