Tape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Stretchy, slightly sticky tape? I can recommend ’Tape, Self Amalgamating’ as originally supplied by BT, back in the days when I was an employee. I still have a roll and a half, and it’s so dang useful. Some other supplier must still have it available…. I use it for emergency repairs on cars/motorcycle cooling systems, instant handles on wood and metal items, waterproofing electrics and so on. Stretch to double length as you apply, and overlap wraps by 50% and it’s done and waterproof.

Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Stretchy, slightly sticky tape? I can recommend ’Tape, Self Amalgamating’ as originally supplied by BT, back in the days when I was an employee. I still have a roll and a half, and it’s so dang useful. Some other supplier must still have it available…. I use it for emergency repairs on cars/motorcycle cooling systems, instant handles on wood and metal items, waterproofing electrics and so on. Stretch to double length as you apply, and overlap wraps by 50% and it’s done and waterproof.

That sounds like the kinda thing I'm after - many thanks.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There exists an aluminium foil based tape with extremely good adhesive that is among other things used to patch small holes in airliner fairings, there called "high speed tape" in contrast to ordinary duct tape called "low speed tape". It also comes in a bright version that can be used to make weirdly shaped reflective surfaces.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You need two things in your tool kit. A hammer, and duct tape.

If it doesn't move, and it should, you use the hammer.

If it does, and it shouldn't, you use the duct tape.

Personally, if only briefly (last week), I've have had good experience of mending roof leaks with this stuff:

MrHelper tape

It works around irregularities quite well even when it's cold but it remains to be seen how long it will last. Duct tape and the like aren't much use for this kind of thing as they don't survive exposure to the weather for very long.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I carry a roll of electrical tape in my first aid kit. I played rugby for enough years and used it enough to warrant it having a useful title.

I've used it kayaking to tape over my wedding ring - when my hands get cold I can take the ring off more easily... plus I suppose there is something to be said that if I ever drown, it'll likely stay with me...or if I get pitched off in a wavey situation. I also use it to tape over any finger/hand injuries, either directly or tape over a plaster. It's not a long term solution, but it works.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Indeed.

I must admit I was looking a tape with something with a bit more of a stretchy sticky , slightly fabric feel to it.
Im not sure what it’s called in the UK. VETWRAP is a crepe like first aid item for livestock and human first aid apps. It’s self clinging and confirms to different shapes.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE