Tape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Tape - Duct tape particularly seems to get pressed into service so often in a range of situations from First Aid , Fixing Tarps , Joining boot soles back on to boots , Land Rover repairs , sealing kayaks etc etc - Its dang useful stuff..

I've seen people become so besotted with the potential of Duct tape that it finds its way into wallets wrapped around sacrificial credit cards , wrapped around Nalgene bottle and the odd roll or five find its way into many an expedition bag.

Which got me thinking what OTHER tapes are out there and are they any better ? So I had a scurry upto the local Hardware store and came back with some others but thought those in the construction trade may have a special reserve of extra special tape ?? Anyone got any other suggestions for improvements on Duct Tape?

tape.jpg

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Personally I’m not that big of a fan of gorilla tape. It’s thicker stuff and doesn’t conform around shapes as well as more standard duct tape. If I want a better stick and the location allows then I preheat it with a hair drier.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know what's really handy. The two inch /5cm wide velcro tree tape.
It wraps and sticks to itself and bundles stuff up brilliantly. Doesn't rot, doesn't go manky, washes easily. Wraps up tidily into a threadreel sized shape, yet it'll make a wrap, a sling, a handle....

1675539682790.png

The gardening season is nearly upon us and the cheap shops, Home Bargains, B&M's etc., carry it. Lot cheaper than buying from Screwfix, B&Q and garden centres.

M

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Duct tape is what they all are, gorilla, t-rex, duck, generic, etc. I buy cheap and the main brands, they all work well enough for my needs. Usually when I need it but don't have it I find somewhere that sells it or something equivalent. Loads of places sell it. From silver-grey to black, even white!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Duct tape is what they all are, gorilla, t-rex, duck, generic, etc. I buy cheap and the main brands, they all work well enough for my needs. Usually when I need it but don't have it I find somewhere that sells it or something equivalent. Loads of places sell it. From silver-grey to black, even white!
As John Fenna found out it even comes in pink :lmao:

Reactions: Paul_B

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Seriously though flat packed seems the way to go, more pack able, just shame not more widely available.

Did anyone try adventure tape that was a kickstarter a few years ago? Seems they have their shop running now https://adventuretape.com/shop/

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have to disagree with anyone that says 'they're all the same' there's a huge difference in adhesive performance in my experience - especially when it comes to how waterproof they are. However, I've also found that it's not necessarily price that determines how well they perform!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have to disagree with anyone that says 'they're all the same' there's a huge difference in adhesive performance in my experience - especially when it comes to how waterproof they are. However, I've also found that it's not necessarily price that determines how well they perform!

Indeed.

I must admit I was looking a tape with something with a bit more of a stretchy sticky , slightly fabric feel to it.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Tenacious Tape is another, see that used a lot for repairing hiking/camping gear.

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That stuff ends up feeling sticky though.

The fibreglass reinforced clear tape makes great hinges, edges things well, creates flaps, lids, etc., and it sticks soundly.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If it's for like a handle wrap, hockey tape.

Was an interesting handle wrap technique demo'd by Tom over on OxTool this week to create more grip.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE