Jobs involving the outdoors - Suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hello people! :)

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some ideas/advice...

Basically, I really love the idea of being able to combine my love for the outdoors/wildlife with earning some kind of steady income, even on a part time basis.

For instance, I spoke to someone recently who has a job doing bat, newt and badger surveys, and it got me thinking about what other jobs are out there that would allow me to be out in the woods/countryside...

I realise that this is a dream for many, and not something that is easily attainable without commitment and hard work (like anything worthwhile!). Also, as a student studying sound technology, I currently have no qualifications or experience in this area- just my own enthusiasm!

At this stage, I'm just very keen to find out more about what possible opportunities there are out there, and what suggestions/experiences that people on here might be able to share with me?

Thanks for reading, your experiences and advice would be much appreciated! :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Usually, the more education/training you have, the better the job opportunities. I work at a university in the biology department and I have seen many many students fulfill their dreams of working in the outdoors. I know many who have traveled around the world, from South America to Austrailia to Africa. Right now I have a student doing an internship in Hawaii working with marine mammals. The more experience she gets like this, the more opportunities she will find. I also advise prevet students and have seen many go to vet school and end up as large animal vets. There are many routes to the outdoors.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BTCV might be a good place to start.
Volunteer at your local country park; they'll know what courses are available and would know how to go about getting on them. Dharma did the bat handling one not so long ago.

Forest Schools ? on going programme that gets you qualifications that make it easier to work with youngsters outdoors.

Basically look for anything that will give you experience, widen your knowledge and your horizons :D
The local Mushroom group for instance, the local botanical society, the RSPB.

Best of luck with it :)

cheers,
Toddy

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It was possible to get a post, about 10 years ago I met a warden who was a English Graduate......however things have changed quite a bit. I would reccomend getting along to conservation volunteer days....Local ranger services, wildlife trusts, BTCV and ground works are always looking for volunteers. Its how many people start the path towards getting a job outdoors. Hell its a good way to find out if you REALLY want to do it....working outdoors with the sun shining and a gentle breeze is a world away from working at minus temperatures in the wet!

like many jobs now a days, qualifications are getting be more essential. Have a think about going to college and doing a countryside management type course if you want to get a job undertaking the more practical tasks alternatively many universities offer environmental courses if you are more interesting in the academic side of things.

It is a tough field to get a post in,The current economic climate isn't helping either what with cut backs etc so you really need to shine to get ahead. Some recent posts that came available at my place had and we were inundated with people applying who had no qualifications but enjoyed gardening, or outdoor purssuits! I'll be honest the more you can bring to the table during interviews etc the better. I'd love to see more people employed in the environmental sector, as it stands there are far to few people looking after "the green" than needed but I don't imagine it'll change any time soon.

Good luck with it and lets us know how you get on.

Orric

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
I have to agree with much of greensurfingbear says... first find out the realities and scope of outside work and then make up your mind what you might like and whether you want to persue it.

the job market is really grim at the moment.

I have a friend who has just got a contract as a warden with the NT - he has a masters degree in forestry, is a talented green woodworker, has his chainsaw and other practical certificates, has learnt welsh, has worked as a contractor doing vegetation clearance, and has volunteered / held seasonal positions for 3-4 years. He is a lucky one to get a job - although the wages are poor.

Another friend, experienced tree surgeon, green woodworker, degree in forestry, history of volunteering etc. - not even an interview for a similar position.

With regard to wildlife survey - you will need ecological qualifications first (eg degree) then junior work experience with more experienced ecologists. You could then apply for your bat or amphibian license. It's not quite so simple as counting frogs

forestry as a profession is difficult at the moment too as the Forestry Commission is trying to contract due to severe budget cuts and so are not recruiting. There is private work, but again, few jobs and lots of very good and experienced people going for them.

A final thing is, the sector is notoriously bad paying. You have a real trade-off. You can work outside and get lots of field time, but your wage will be poor. if you want to earn more, you will be forced into management and so will see a lot more of your desk!

I hope that hasn't put you off, but I would say that if you seriously want to get into it you need to be realistic and really commit to getting qualifications and experience...

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
further to what GSB said, i would suggest that if you're serious start with a national diploma course, they tend to be more hands on with regards to estate skills and on the ground surveying techniques. and i would question the skills learnt from volunteering with wildlife trusts etc (heavy emphasis on litter picking). try and hook up with a countryman = hedge laying, dry stone walling and the like.
you may find most degree's are heavy on the theory and the practice is thin on the ground. most environmental/conservation employers want a pound of flesh and a pint of blood, so extra qualifications such as brushcutter, ATV and chainsaw tickets will swing the balance.

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
If you want to work outdoors forget anything to do with writing reports, you'll spend far more time indoors writing than outdoors looking in ponds.

If you want to enjoy being outdoors you need a job like walling or landscape gardening. Walling is great for nature watching as you aren't making a lot of noise so the wildlife gets used to you fairly quickly and just goes about its business. Theres also the very great satisfaction of actually having something to show for you days work, at the end of the day standing back and looking at a smart wall that wasn't there in the morning is a great feeling.

Will :)

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Wow! So many fantastic replies already! Thank you! :)

As I'm already halfway through doing a degree, and also have a part time job (which I want to get rid of ASAP!), I think I'd find it hard to find time to take up another course at the moment in a more related subject.

Perhaps I'd be better off just getting out there, and volunteering at local parks/reserves, to try and get some experience? Even without any qualifications, there could be some basic job roles out there that I could eventually obtain?

As far as the wildlife surveys go, the guy I was talking to suggested that I simply spend the 50 quid or so to buy a bat detector, learn to use it, and then begin checking out my local area, before approaching local companies. That way, I'd probably stand a stronger chance of finding some employment with them?

Thanks again to those who have been kind enough to reply. I'd love to hear more about what opportunities/job roles are out there?

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've been wanting to get working outdoors for a while too, but there doesnt seem to be a quick and easy way (or cheap) way of doing it. So Im looking at paying off some of my many debts and investing in some qualifications, dont have a clue where to start yet though, would love to be a park ranger or work with wildlife. Let me know if you have any joy. Good luck s'étonner. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This is something I tell students on a regular basis. Find the job you want, talk to the people who do that job and find out what they did to get there, then point your pony in the same direction. :) So often people get an education without thinking what they will do with it. First identify the career you want, then get the qualifications for it. Whether there are jobs available at the moment or not is a minor point imo. Positions come and go. In my own area of study, I was told there were no jobs and I should change my area of interest. If I had listened to that person, I would not have my current job.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
[As I'm already halfway through doing a degree, and also have a part time job (which I want to get rid of ASAP!), I think I'd find it hard to find time to take up another course at the moment in a more related subject.]

So why did you start this course in the first place?

[Perhaps I'd be better off just getting out there, and volunteering at local parks/reserves, to try and get some experience? Even without any qualifications, there could be some basic job roles out there that I could eventually obtain?]

Litter picking? - don't fool yourself - as I said, there are lots of very well qualified people out there, with good experience too.

[As far as the wildlife surveys go, the guy I was talking to suggested that I simply spend the 50 quid or so to buy a bat detector, learn to use it, and then begin checking out my local area, before approaching local companies. That way, I'd probably stand a stronger chance of finding some employment with them?]

This guy is talking out of his ar$e. If companies want a proper bat survey they will go to a qualified ecologist. If you are going to disturb bats or handle them you will need a license too, and these aren't just handed out willy nilly. The company can also just stand outside their building on a summers night and count bats flying - where an ecologist comes in is knowing species ecology, remediation, and legislation. For the legal consequences of a miss-informed advice, people are not going to do it on the cheap.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Environmental consultancy is a wider option to consider than just ecology. I spent years wading in rivers, cruising around forests in land rovers, or going about esturies and resovoirs on boats. The pay is all right too, although now i spend most of the time at a desk. Most consultancies unfortunately these days won't touch a graduate that doesn't have both an under graduate and postgraduate degree from a decent place - and even then you ofetn need to get in through a back door. Best bet is to find out who runs the department, and contact them direct asking if they want some admin staff. I know a few people in your position that have got into environmental teams this way- and becuase they are reletively cheap to use compared to highly qualified graduates, they tend to get used a lot on the fieldwork side of things (which is exactly what you want). Couple this with an evening masters course in some environmental subject, and you will be well on your way.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hey Treemonk :)

To answer your questions, I started the course I am on -a sound technology course- because my main passion (and hopefully main source of income soon!) is sound engineering. I work as a freelance live engineer at small music gigs/events, and I record bands.

However, due to the nature of this line of work, it is unlikely that I will be able to sustain myself without another part time, but steady form of income. Or at least not for a while. At the moment, I have a part time job in a Co-Op. It's boring and I just have to ask everyone if they want a bag or cashback... :(

My ideal situation would be to replace this Co-Op job with something outdoors, that would provide a steady, if low, income stream, allowing me to spend the rest of my time pursuing my main passion- working as a freelance sound engineer, or perhaps another part time job, that is audio-related, once my degree is finished.

Maybe when I have finished my degree, I will decide to get some qualifications related to wildlife and the outdoors, but right now, it's not really an option. I hope that explains my situation a little clearer.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Environmental consultancy is a wider option to consider than just ecology. I spent years wading in rivers, cruising around forests in land rovers, or going about esturies and resovoirs on boats. The pay is all right too, although now i spend most of the time at a desk. Most consultancies unfortunately these days won't touch a graduate that doesn't have both an under graduate and postgraduate degree from a decent place - and even then you ofetn need to get in through a back door. Best bet is to find out who runs the department, and contact them direct asking if they want some admin staff. I know a few people in your position that have got into environmental teams this way- and becuase they are reletively cheap to use compared to highly qualified graduates, they tend to get used a lot on the fieldwork side of things (which is exactly what you want). Couple this with an evening masters course in some environmental subject, and you will be well on your way.

Thanks The Lord Poncho! Great info here! :)

I definitely realise that I'm extremely hindered by my lack of qualifications, and trying to find a back door to some basic, if low-paying fieldwork is exactly what I'm after! An evening masters course could definitely be an option in a year or so when my current course is finished.

What kind of companies/organisations would you suggest approaching that may need admin staff?

Thanks again!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are you willing to move? Try the following link; select the Law Enforcement option on the first page (it's at the bottom of the column on the left) On the next page select the Employment option (It's 2nd from the bottom of the column on the right) It will guide you on how to be a full Idaho Conservation Officer. A wildlife Officer over here (often referred to as a Game Warden) is a fully commissioned Law Enforcement Officer charged with enforcing wildlife conservation laws. Training is provided by the State. The position has a full career path with promotions and retirement and insurance benefits. If Idaho doesn't appeal to you try the websites for the other states; each one maintains it's own.

www.state.id.us/fishgame/fishgame.html

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
s'étonner;923544 said:
What kind of companies/organisations would you suggest approaching that may need admin staff?!

Well- in the consultancy field, you are looking at the likes of multidisciplinary engineering consultancies- all of which have environmental teams- companies like Atkins, Mott MacDonald, Capita Symonds, Bechtel, Halcrow, Jacobs, Arup, Buro Happold etc. - you can find more on the net- but these are some of the big ones. A trawl of their websites will often give prospective clients an environmental contact- that is the person to contact rather than the company HR team that will have a stack of CVs and won't be looking for anyone that doesn't fit the 'standard model'. Alternatively, look here: http://www.endsdirectory.com/ - which will give you the contacts, and you can search by company sector, location etc.

The other type of company that you can try are pure environmental consultancies- ERM, Entec, Environ etc. This is possibly slightly trickier to get in via the route i suggest, but worth a try.

The above companies are all big. Approaching much smaller environmental companies (i.e. 20 or less people for example)- may mean that you get the chance to sell yourself easier to them on your personal merits rather than pure qualifications. Impressing them with your enthusiasm, adaptability, and willingness to take on any task that they might need you for. The ENDS directory allows you to search by company size too.

And yes, many such people are handed a bat detector and spend a night or two out with them!- but under the supervision of qualified ecologists. Aside from ecology, the other main areas within environmental consultancy where you get the opportunity to spend time outdoors is within the field of water quality.

Other options- Environment Agency (but quite oversubscribed, and as they are a govt. organisation, possibly less chance of getting in via an informal route), and water companies (which will require people to spend every day all day monitoring the quality of watercourses around waste water treatment plants), or near abstraction points (i.e. rivers and water bodies where they get water).

Prepare for a long slog and plenty of rejection, but it will happen! It's all about getting yourself into an organisation in whatever capacity you can, impressing, then taking a step sideways once you have done some time in that organisation into something more aligned with what you want to do.

However- all the above advice is for the full time career option- you can't really do this part time, so you will need to consider your priorities, and whether the techie work you want to do can be done in the evenings and weekends whilst you are building the environmental side of your career.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
*Totally* agree with what has been said above. In addition to doing all that, another thing I have found to be successful is to just imagine yourself doing the job you want (if you can be that specific), get into the mindset that you are going to, or even are already doing that job and get out there and do it, in whatever way or capacity you can. That way you will meet like minded people who are doing the same thing, can give you leads, or may inform you of job opportunities they have heard of. As someone already said, there are lots of people out there who have the qualifications, being in the right place at the right time, i.e. an element of luck can play a part too, so make sure all your spare time is concentrated on trying to be in that place.......in rain or shine, and at least that way you will find out if you *really* want to be outside all day.....or not......

good luck

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I'm self employed as a gardener and garden designer which keeps me outside. As I live in a rural area most of my gardens are in the countryside as well, so I am often working in a garden and looking out over the mountains.

It was a bit of an accident ending up doing this though. I was struggling to find work related to my degree (Rural Resource Management) despite having experience as a volunteer ranger on a national nature reserve. I kept applying for jobs and when I approached them for feedback after the rejection being told that there were something like 350 applicants for 1 position, so despite having only asked for a degree they had loads of people with masters degrees and used that as a criteria for shortlisting applicants. After a long time working in call centres I started to feel like I could be stuck there for ever so when I saw a local landscaping company advertising I thought it was sort of related and applied. I got taken on as a trainee foreman, went to nightschool to do my RHS horticulture qualifications and ended up as contracts manager. Since then we've stepped off the rat race moved to rural wales and I work for myself doing the same work. Only now I pick my own hours and put quality of life before riches.

So, I would say think creatively. When I started my degree I would never have thought I would end up where I am now, but what I am doing now is not really so different from the hands on management work that I used to do as a volunteer on the nature reserve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE