Dyeing leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
All too often when I pull down my jacket hood after rain, my leather headband lifts off my head. This i don’t notice until long after it’s dropped somewhere.

So

I’ve ordered some veg tanned strap but it’s raw bright pink. Rather than just grab the old Kiwi polish tin, I thought I’d ask here. What can I use to dye the leather? Is there a suitable natural product that will produce a deep harness tan?

Edited to add:
Or a range of brown and tans.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The leather dyes are not cheap for a one-off small project and, without a guarantee of the end colour, may be disappointing.

Natural dyes - there are many plant source dyes of various browns hues - here are just a few:

Alder - bark - red-brown
Alder Buckthorn - bark - yellow-brown
Bird Cherry - bark - yellow
Bramble - root - orange
Cleaver - root - red
Common Ash - bark - yellow
Crab apple - bark - yellow
Elder bark - black/dark-brown
Goat willow - bark - orange
Juniper - shoots - olive-brown
Oak - bark - brown
Oak - galls - black
Rowan - bark - black

It's worth remembering that when a natural dye is described as 'orange' for example it will not be the bright orange you get in a paint box - it will probably be a muddy brown orange :)

I've tried some of the above but by no means all.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thanks @Broch .
Would you use these in water or oil?
Is there the equivalent of a mordant preparation required?

Previously I’ve just used mixtures of boot polish colours in neats foot oil.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Honestly, leather dyes are stains, and they will stain untanned skin (you) just as easily as they will dye the leather.

Waxing or oiling helps gently mute a too light leather, but so does soaking it in something like strong tea....which is tannin rich and will darken the leather nicely if it's very pale. Walnut husks are more traditional, but a box of teabags can be pretty cheap :)

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I was going to ask about some of the pigments and how to make them fast.

If anyone has a basic guide I would be interested. All very well saying "xxx Bark or yyy roots" but what do you do ?

Just steep in cold water? Hot water? Alcohol? Some grinding required? pH for best results? etc etc.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
9D3ABA3B-9FC9-483D-831D-51E42C4C38FD.jpeg
Thanks people. I started with fairly dark leather rather than the pink. The raw leather turned ginger.
The gouge cuts in the darker leather were too light. Coffee grounds in hot olive oil and allowed to cool darkened everything and toned down the cuts.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE