Including rope in your kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Zen-

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, there were two situations during a recent wild camping trip to Arran recently that would have warranted the use of a rope when all we had was 100ft 550 paracord that we doubled up. I was thinking of including 30m of 8-9mm dynamic rope to my kit, along with some nuts, slings, a belay and a few karabiners.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience carrying such kit, if it proved as useful as it seems considering the extra weight, or if you still carry a rope on your ventures?

Regards,

Zen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can't say I do, I expect the first time I ever need that kind of length I'll regret not having it.

But I can't see myself being in that situation much, not on a camping trip anyway

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If I'm wildcamping then if I get into a rope situation I'll just backtrack. The worst terrain I've done backpacking is an easy grade 1 scramble. Anything worse than that is not worth it to me. I'm out for fun not thrill seeking if I've a heavy/big pack on.

Same really for day walks. I've never found a rope useful personally. I used to climb and kit is needed once you get vertical but then I was out to climb so the kit is needed. If you aren't planning on climbing then rope and kit is a big weight penalty for a just in case scenario.

This is just my opinion, I don't know what you like to do so it might be worth it for you. I've turned chicken these days so happy to chicken out rather than toughing it out when the terrain could call for climbing kit.

One thing, wouldn't you need to double that thickness of rope which would make it less than 15m? I'm rusty with rope work so perhaps wrong.

-Zen-

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
Lets hear the long story.... It's a long weekend.

I'm relatively new here so I'm not quite clued up on what's allowed with regards to plugging websites, but I'm going to start detailing my excursions on my own blog if you're interested in reading it; the first post should be up in the next day or two, there'll be more info on there:

www.miststalkers.blogspot.com

Basically my friend and I were tracking a river upstream for ease of navigation but every bit of difficult terrain was met with something harder (namely a gorge or innocent-looking sheer face) on the other side; backtracking could have taken just as long and alternate routes were almost always just as bad. As a boulderer I'm not clued up on ropes or it's associated kit either, but I'm a pretty decent climber and although I could easilly climb certain parts I had to back out for safety's sake rather than not feeling capable. I suppose you could say that I'm all for the thrill-seeking element if it arises!

In other words, as a climber of sorts anyway I would love it if every future trek featured a decent haul up some rock but then again, if I'm heading into the unknown I don't know for certain. Maybe trial and error and a look at the weight penalty would be worth looking into?

Oh, and jiffi, do you carry any other climbing kit other than the actual rope? If so, what and how much does it all weigh?

Thanks for the replies everyone

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
you can buy so called walkers safety ropes from the likes of decathlon sports they are about 8 ml and i think 30m ish i dont carry mine as a rule but may do if i am with someone scrambling or walking in an area of exposure eg cliff top path. it is heavyish if you embrace an ultralight ethos but is a safery item so make your own mind up.my rationale is that i could use it to belay a tricky section on a scramble if strayed off line, use to provide reassurance in case of stoppage due to fear of exposure etc. but primarily to use in case of a fall to ensure safe access to the casualty and possibly to belay them in situ so that they were not at risk of further fall whilst i sought help.( or they sought help for me )make sure your companion is rope savvy!
point for practice at this diameter you would not want to take a full fall from a height. also many belay devices do not work on a single rope of this diameter so choose with care. consider one that can also be used with the rope doubled.a lightweight alpine harness 30 quidsworth from decathlon is a useful addition. i would also advise a helmet and pair of belay gloves if scrambling.i used to climb and regard scrambling as the lower end of the climbing spectrum. i would not climb without protection if there was a potential risk of a damaging fall so see no reason to abandon this approach when scrambling.belay gloves can be used as spare gloves and if you ever caught a fall without them you would likely bear the scars! a rock fall/head injury can happen to anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time and result in a fall so first wear a lid and second as i said carry kit to make safe a companion who has suffered from such an occurrence.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've only ever taken rope, if when making plans for a trip the intended route on the map looks like it'll be needed. Most of the time now a days I like to pack light so don't carry as much as I used too....mind you not getting out for as long as I used too haven't done a multi day walk in ages!

Like all kits it's worth knowing how to best use it. might be worth getting a mate to teach you if you have any mates that know how or get a course some where.

Orric

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Only ever taken climbing gear for a climbing specific trip. It adds a lot of weight if you take it seriously with plenty of quick draws, nuts, slings and rope. If you are fully trained in using said kit outdoors then go for it but if not get some practice in first (and some instruction) on nuts and anchors. Taking harnesses amd helmets goes without saying and it all takes up space. All depends how much your willing to carry- and spend!

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Usually carry my 9mm 50m rope and a few slings of different sizes maybe 2-3 nuts not sure of exact weight but does definitely add a fair bit I would think maybe 3kgs at a guess.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Always have either, a hank of B and Q green polly, or a dhoby line of braided jute or waxed cotton. In the event of storm moorings not needed, its handy to mess about making fancy knots.

Ceeg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Used to always have a rope when in the saddle. Not so much on foot. There were a few times back in the late 70s/early 90s when I was still in the mountains of Nevada that one would have been handy; but never a neccessity. At least not for climbing although back then a rope for suspending food out of reach of bears was the common practice.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
surely in the uK you can walk round most obstacles,

or alteast ask the TI the way round ;)

LOL. I suspect ya'll have more of that sort of obsacles than I do now. Granted out west I had mountains but not so much so here in Florida.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well as Miss Beckwith was told on the wee Hebridean Island take "A Rope In Case". Maybe a bit twee for some, but I loved reading about her life on the island and small holding growing up, and a hank of rope/twine is always usefull. Though I think it can sometimes lead you to be braver than you should.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE