How thick is your tarp top line?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do you find the smaller thickness cords damage the tree?

Not really Ash, there's no load on the cord just simple knots to keep it in place. I still use an evenk slippery hitch at one end and a truckers hitch at the other, even getting good tension with the truckers doesn't damage the trees I've found.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I've tried everything going from Sisal (that "hairy" garden string) to 2mm cord.

basically most cord is fine, unless you are really putting it to the test in sever weather,
If you want to save weight use thin cord 2mm - 4mm, I found it very fiddly to undo knots and tangles especially with cold or gloved hands.
standard paracord (or copy stuff) you can just about use with gloves on.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
if you want something cheap strong and nice and "natural" looking then window sash cord works well.

stuart

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
With regards to deadfall and breaking strengths of various lines... remember that the forces involved aren't quite as simple when it's a load being placed at 180deg to the anchors...

So a branch weighing 100kg would put 120kg onto the knots at either end (very simplified version without going into kilonewtons etc. It's late...).

Although if a branch weighing 500kg is falling on your basha then you have bigger problems anyway! :)

Interesting stuff, vectors and forces...
http://www.mazamas.org/your/adventure/nw/slinging-a-boulder-for-an-anchor-two-cautions/

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've used kingfisher 3mm dyneema core for a couple of years now, I couldn't ask for better ridgline. It beats hollow braid dyneema hands down-a few shakes and a tangle usually just falls out. It doesn't stretch at all, doesnt get dirty or stay wet, doesnt seem to wear, holds evenk knots.

I'd use 2mm stuff if I bought some again, 3mm is overkill.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I go a bit heavier & use 7mm dark green climbing rope, or paracord if I am going ultra light. If I am sleeping under it as I like the idea of some seriously strong rope above my hammock if a branch falls on it; it's several times stronger than paracord from what I remember. Having 15m of climbing cord has come in handy more than once & will easyly take your weight, whereas I would not fancy the idea of rappelling down a bank on paracord, even if I weigh less than 550 pounds!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
if you're worried about "dead fall" don't camp under dead branches? simple...
I'd never rely on a tarp stopping falling branches anyway, if it's a concern use smaller younger trees with smaller branches.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE