How thick is your tarp top line?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

I have only ever used the cord i bought from DD hammocks when i got the tarp and its 6mm.
I was wondering if anyone goes smaller, as it weighs a fair bit, and im always afraid of cutting it down in case i end up with trees spaced too far apart.
I suppose i could at least cut it down to the length of my hammock and webbing, as if i can fix the hammock, then i wont be stringing the tarp up ;)

Ben

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm using 2mm reflective dyneema these days, anything bigger is just an overkill and extra weight/bulk.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm using 2mm reflective dyneema these days, anything bigger is just an overkill and extra weight/bulk.

Agreed, but lets not forget that some people like the added protection against deadfall that a stronger line could provide. I think it is not necessary in this country if you choose your site carefully, but certainly needed in rain forests etc, where widowmakers are commonplace.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Thanks for the advice guys - wouldnt have thought 2mm anything would have been strong enough, but just did alittle read up and apparently 2mm reflective dyneema will hold 280kg!! Whats it like to tie and untie?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

Is that the stuff you were looking about for on ebayt a while ago, do you have a link Rich?

I curently use a 4mm hollow braided rope that a friend gave me a few hundred meters of, no idea of its proper name or origin, but it strong enought for my hammock to

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Agreed, but lets not forget that some people like the added protection against deadfall that a stronger line could provide. I think it is not necessary in this country if you choose your site carefully, but certainly needed in rain forests etc, where widowmakers are commonplace.

Yup, definitely agree with that Jon. When I started looking at losing some weight on my setups I switched from 4mm static climbing accessory cord which was fairly bulky but was very reassuring.

Is that the stuff you were looking about for on ebayt a while ago, do you have a link Rich?

I curently use a 4mm hollow braided rope that a friend gave me a few hundred meters of, no idea of its proper name or origin, but it strong enought for my hammock to

This is where I got mine from mate, maybe give them a shout and see if you can get some ...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....917164&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1002wt_905

I have seen some in another place but it was nearly £15

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I use Genuine Para cord (or "550 cord" for our US friends), the stuff I have still had tiny bits of parachute still stitched to it, lol

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth

If you use this stuff:

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/marlow-excel-d12.html

2.5mm with a breaking load of 569kg - way stronger than paracord.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE